Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#811499 - 12/18/07 09:15 PM Re: best trap for bobcats? [Re: Jacob_Hanan]
nboost Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Here
Oktrap what kind of lure are you using?

#811500 - 12/18/07 10:37 PM Re: best trap for bobcats? [Re: nboost]
OKTrap Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Oklahoma
I use O'Gorman LDC, O'Gorman Powder River Cat Call, Dobbins Canine Select, cat & coyote urine on this set with duck feathers for a visual. I have taken cat, skunk and several yote in this set so far.

#811501 - 12/18/07 11:25 PM Re: [Re: huntinglonewolf]
VarminterSpecial Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Elk City, Ok, Usa
what website can you find those?

#811502 - 12/19/07 07:01 PM Re: [Re: VarminterSpecial]
nboost Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Here
Varminter I think I saw those at Sportsmans Wharehouse the other day. You might give them a call. It is located right by Quail Springs mall.

#811503 - 12/19/07 07:13 PM Re: [Re: nboost]
VarminterSpecial Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Elk City, Ok, Usa
o ok thanks! ill go look.

#811504 - 12/21/07 01:18 PM Re: [Re: VarminterSpecial]
OKTrap Offline
Seasoned Member

Here's another Male Coyote removed today ... 12/21/07. He had bad mange ... and something took his rear right foot just below the knee. A good one to remove. 14th of the season off of 80 acres.

#811505 - 12/22/07 10:25 AM Re: [Re: OKTrap]
ADCcoyote Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Somewhere out west,east of the...
Nice pics OK traps! The thing witgh traps is everyone has different needs/wants. Larger jaw spread aids less guiding and quicker setting for say coyotes, versitile traps? Most traps will catch hold possums,skunks etc non targets. Pan tension can help solve non target catches. That is what I look for, I don't want skunks or jack rabbits taking out my coyote trap sets.
The more mechanical some things the more prone to issues. Remember that the most heavly copied trap ever made is the MJ 600 made by Glen Sterling back in the mid 70's.Once they have a foot in them and the levers "lock" that is it on the majority of the holds, so I see little need for having a lever or cam device putting more tension on lunges of critters. The wider a jaw face can be with equal spring tension to begin with goes along ways in keeping the foot from sliding between the jaws.

#811506 - 12/22/07 10:57 AM Re: [Re: ADCcoyote]
OKTrap Offline
Seasoned Member

ADCcoyote ... I can completely understand you views, and I repect them. However, I defend my stance on th KB and my use of them. They have the most holding power of any trap on the market due to their tension assembly, even more than Sterlings. And since the coil spring are the same as those used on the #1 Montgomery, they "creep" up on a foot instead of slamming shut. However, as I do not spend the money which is required to purchase Sterlings, the KB are more affordable for me.

The tension assembly does present its problems ... these traps will hold deer and calves if they are caught above the fatlock of the hoof. They are even used for hog trapping in Oklahoma because of their holding ability. This is a drawback when setting cattle ranches here, with the increased chance of taking a calf. But I use them because they are American Made & versitile ... with nothing more than a pan tension adjustment to set depending on my targets ... but I implement a lot of thought and caution in each set.

#811507 - 12/23/07 01:55 AM Re: [Re: OKTrap]
Dogboy Offline
PM is my life

Loc: Oak Hills, Ca
Oktrap I'm new to this forum.

I know nothing about trapping, but I would like to compliment you on some of the photos you've taken, very nice.

#811508 - 12/23/07 12:46 PM Re: [Re: Dogboy]
OKTrap Offline
Seasoned Member

Thank you.

#811509 - 12/23/07 12:52 PM Re: [Re: Dogboy]
Lungbuster Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Idaho
Quote:

but I would like to compliment you on some of the photos you've taken, very nice.

+1

#811510 - 12/23/07 01:48 PM Re: [Re: OKTrap]
ADCcoyote Offline
Die Hard Member

OK trap, I respect your thoughts as well, but you think the only trap to hold calves and other critters is the KB? Wrong I have held calves,antelope and deer with sterlings and mod #3 bridger traps as well. That has nothing to do with trapping coyotes or bobcats!Your statement is pure BS, sorry to have to state it that way.
It is where the hold is and the size of the leg that will determine that! Along with jaw spread as well.
Expalin further the creep up thought? The trap goes shut and what I look for is a trap that will hold the foot with very little to no foot movement between the jaws! You have foot movement and then you deal with cutting and poor holds a chance to escape. I want all spring tension constant at the time of closure for max holding power! The design of a sterling is that the offset is great for a coyote foot to be held between the very wide cast jaws, and when he makes the first lunge the clicking sound of the levers locking closed mean the end of any foot movement between the jaws n less than idel pad catches, with a good pad catch the lock up of the levers is almost as the trap goes fully shut.
I have trapped many coyotes and with 24hr checks to 3 day checks and the sterling leaves nothing of compramise of any foot trap made! They bed rock solid and quickly, they have the best swivels on the market for strength and the abilty to self clean themselves which is very important on extended checks!
The sterling is American made as well and calving time is a concern with the sterlings as well for a short window of time in the spring, rock them in and you have little problems with calves.
I'm sorry I do not agree with your statement that the KB is the strognest trap on the market.
Also the spring levers I find to be an advantage as they are less prone to freezing down and also pick up less trash than wider levers for sure.
I use both sterlings and mod bridgers#3 with PIT pan systems and 4 coiled with o/s jaws and laminations and they perform every bit as well as a KB trap would I'm 100% sure of it!I need/want go spring power to break through frost and heavier covering of soils due to high wind conditions and grab ahold well, I get that with the springs used on the sterlings MJ600 and 4 coiled bridgers.
I'm glad you like and have success with the KB line of traps, but each area and circumstances aren't the same and what is one mans caddilac is another mans VW Bug. Good trapping and good luck!

#811511 - 12/23/07 02:34 PM Re: [Re: ADCcoyote]
trapwv Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Flemington,WV
Anytime you ask this question it will always cause some debate. I think it's important to remember that any of the traps mentioned here are quality hardware and will do the job just fine. Money is always an issue and I consider the Sterlings and KBs to be pricey. No doubt they are worth the extra money, I won't argue that. But there are alot of trappers out there consistantly catching high numbers of coyotes in much cheaper traps. Many of them without mods.

#811512 - 12/23/07 05:03 PM Re: [Re: trapwv]
ADCcoyote Offline
Die Hard Member

I agree trapWV, but it may come to be at some point in our future mod traps will be required and I use them because they do hold coyotes better and less damage to the traps as well. You really see this on checks longer than 24 hrs and even on 24 hr check laws I want to hold onto what I catch a high % of the time.
When Tim C first brought out the copy cat mb650, I was very vocal in the cheapest model non laminated jaw 4 coiled trap, I think he either doesn't sell them that way or strongly encourages guys to add lamination, without they are nothing but a foot cutter for sure. Smaller traps not as needed because your limiting the catch area of the paw, your giving up efficantcy though. I believe any trap from #2 on up should be laminated to better the trap and holding power of the trap.Foot movement is the key to a decent looking foot. The more power a trap has the more displacement of that you want. IMHO

Edited by ADCcoyote (12/23/07 05:06 PM)

#811513 - 12/23/07 11:05 PM Re: [Re: ADCcoyote]
trapwv Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Flemington,WV
I agree jaw laminations really improve performance. They not only reduce foot damage but also stiffen the jaws to reduce flex that can lead to jaw pop. Baseplates are also a great add-on. They will greatly improve the life of the trap. I just wanted to point out that the Sterlings, KBs, and Bridgers mentioned above will more than do the job. All are quality traps. Take care.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  AWS 

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.