Perfect Scope for 22-250

jdl5ak

The last decision I need to make is the perfect long range scope to put on my rifle. Like I said before I will mainly be hunting and in Alaska. Anything from fox, wolf, to even the small black tail deer we have up here. The stores up here are all telling me different things. Some say get a scope with a terret and some say just a varmit reticle. I just want a long range scope with fox being the smallest thing I will take with it. What do you guys think? Please help!

If you can see him coming and have time to get on him a 6-24 is what I use for open country. I keep it on 6 and dial it up for the long stuff. If broken terrain is your game,the 4-14 would be more in order. I think the 4-14 is probably the most usefull in my experiences.

I personnally dont like the ballistic reticles for my applications, but I hunt a long ways from you. The target turrets are on my big scopes, but seldom use them. zero that 250 at 200 yards and a fox will be hit out to about 250-300 yards with no adjustments in hold. Anything past that will require a good understanding of ballistics and either turret adjustments or reticle placement will become critical on a fox sized target.

Leupold 3.5-10X w/turrets.

You say long-range, but that is pretty vague, different people have different definitions of long-range. I have shot out to 1K with a 3.5-10x and it is plenty...depending on your targets. A 1-1.5MOA target is doable that far out, but anything smaller than that I need more X's out front. I've shot woodchucks out to just under 600 with that same piece of glass and have never felt the need for more magnification. It all boils down to the size of your target's at a given range, IMO.

Would Leupolds Varmint Reticle be a good choice or is that more for just small varmits. I asked before about Nikons BDC and eveyone said no good for target. How about the BDC for just hunting?

when you say long range, thats relative, how long of range, I think a good ole 3x9 is plenty of scope for yotes out to 500 yards, which if you ask me is about the absolute max you should shoot at a yote anyways with a 22-250. I wacked a coyote last frday at a lazerd 666 yards with my turreted zeiss conquest 3x9x40, 270 winchester of course. in most field condidtions 9x is about all you can use, now if you have a dead steady rest like off a shooting table that is another matter altogether. I could get a 4.5-14 or a 4x16 or something for my 22-250 but I prefer the fast handeling and wider FOV the 3x9 gives me over those scopes

I agree with lesser is better for game out to intermediate ranges, especially for a walk around rig. I use a 3-9X 22 Long Rifle Rapid Reticle scope on my AR-15 as a walking hunter, and it's the best scope i have for it's uses (due to it's compactness mostly). But i wouldn't suggest it for the avg. guy, since the reticle has to be "fit" to any trajectory other than a 22 Long Rifle, and it's a very "busy" tree reticle design, right here--

http://www.rapidreticle.com/22lr3-9x32.htm

I can't see why a simple Ball. Plex reticle in a smaller Burris wouldn't be just right for that app. Any of the suggestions above sound just right also. Trying to find the "ideal" optic for intermediate range shooting is not as narrow a topic as it sounds like it is--there are so many offerings out there these days that it's hard to find the perfect choice.

One good way to go is to get all the catalogs from the optics companies and study them until u find something that fills your needs. That's what i do, and am always coming up with something "spectacular."

My favorite 22-250 coyote rifle wears a Leupold 3.5X10 VX-3. I love it.
I have another 22-250 that has a 4.5X14 Leupold VX-3, and a 223 with the same 4.5X14. They stay home, unless targets or Pdogs are the prey.
The 3.5X10 is a far better 'hunting' scope IMO.
Carl

For a hunting scope on a walk around rifle I sure agree with they guys that suggest the lower power variable. My Remington Mountain rifle carries a 2.8 to 10 Simmons AETEC with a 44 foot field of view on low power. I think that you might want to look at field of view specs instead of power specs when looking for this "ideal" scope. Anything with less than a 25 or 30 foot field of view at a hundred yards makes picking up anything close in and moving pretty hard sometimes.

Having around a 40 foot field of view at the low power setting would be my goal instead of worrying about top end power.

I use two scopes for my varmint rifle, a 3 by 9 variable for coyote hunting in the fall and winter and an old Tasco 8 by 32 target dot for spring and summer ground squirrel hunting. It's pretty hard for one scope to do it all.

Thanks guys! I have kind of narrowed my search down to the VX-III 6x20 w/varmint reticle or the Nikon 6x24 50mm with BDC. I dont know about the BDC for smaller game like wolves.

Back