45-70 loads

I would stick with the Sierra bullet, Hornady's max for their bullet is 51.2grs H4198. Hornady only pushes that bullet to 2200fps in their 450 Marlin, and 2100fps in their .458 WinMag data, that tells me it's not made for faster velocities as far as terminal performance.

On the other hand, Sierra's 458Winmag data shows it good for 2550fps, so it's likely a bit tougher bullet. Hodgdon H4198 data pushes it to 2424fps in their levergun data, and 2532fps in their Ruger data.

I'm DONE. I give up. I've tried 7 different loads and can not get it to shoot a handload any better than about 6 in group at 100 yards. I was so discusted I wanted to wrap it around a tree. I ran to town and got a box of Hornady LeveRevolution 325 gr ammo to try. four shots at 100 yards in the size of a quarter. ONE RAGGED HOLE. Shoots Hornady factory ammo excellent, but can't get it to shoot a handload. I've never seen a gun like this before. I'm hunting with it for 2 weeks of primitive weapon and then I'm selling it.

Those Hornady leverevolution rounds shoot well in my rifle as well. I Had a 22.250 that was a problem gun like your rifle. I spent many hours and many many dollars trying to find a load. After 30 loads I finally found a couple.

Usually factory rounds are the poorer shooting of the two, maybe it's your handloading technique, seating depth, too much bullet runout or whatever, too many variable there. I have two Buffalo Classics and two 45-70 Handis, they all shoot 1"-1½" 100yd groups with just about anything I put thru em. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif What kind of seating die are you using? The short bullets are real easy to seat with a bit of yaw, my preference is the Hornady seating die, it will seat bullets with minimal runout.

There is one other option I'm aware of. IF you like the gun except for the grouping, you can try this.

I don't know about Handi-Rifles, but SAAMI specs on the 45-70 do NOT include a chamber throat! Why? Who knows! Just one more stupid thing. I have a 16" Contender Carbine in 45-70. Comes from the factory with no throat! After talking with Mike Bellm at http://www.bellmtcs.com and discovering the throat issue. I had David White put a throat in my barrel. http://www.dandtcustomgunworks.com/index.html

My group size went from 8" on most days and 4" on VERY good days all the way down to 1.5" consistently, regardless of the load I run through it. I feel that a 1.5" group at 100 yards is more than adequate for a 36" gun that weighs 5lb and has the recoil of a 45-70.

I've taken almost a dozen elk with that gun at ranges from 20 to 150 yards. I load it only to the pressures recommended for the Trapdoor if I'm using the Hornady book, or more recently I'm using a Loadbook for the Contender.

Talk with those two guys if you like the gun enough to put a little more money into it. Bellm knows more about Contenders and Encores than anyone else I've come across. White knows more about H&R, NEF guns than anyone else I know of.

Good Luck, what ever you choose

Back