whats with crow hunting

smokingun

i dont understand what the all the hype is about huntin crows. I understand its one more thing to hunt. i dont know about anywhere ekse but around here there are thousands of them. you wouldnt even have to call them you could just drive around and stop and shoot em. is there somethin Im missin /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Have you ever tried calling them in ?
It's fun to get mobbed by them. Fast shooting.
You could just drive around and shoot deer too.
Quote:
is there somethin Im missin

Yup.
Fun.
I like it.
Get a call.
You might like it too.
PC

I wish we could shoot crows--they're everywhere around here. Unfortunately MT has never created any regulations or season for crows, so by default they fall under the federal migratory act and are protected in this state!

Until you have called and hunted an animal with eyes like a hawk and an above average intelligence for the bird community you really don't know what you are missing.

If you have lots of crows that have not been hunted your first few outings will seem like a piece of cake. However, crows learn and it will get progressively tougher to call them in.

Don't knock it until you try it.

Quote:
If you have lots of crows that have not been hunted your first few outings will seem like a piece of cake. However, crows learn and it will get progressively tougher to call them in.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Yep the first time I called crows at my place my boy was running around and had the flashers on on the car. my friend had his daughter with us and we were not camo'd. the crows were thick and low. it was so much fun. They don't like to come around my shop to much anymore. At least not like that first time. They came from over a mile away that first time.

I am so addicted that every time I'm in town with the better half she has to tell me to quit watching the crows and listen to her..

Crows are some smart birds and are a lot of fun to hunt. They are way smarter than a turkey, they have incredible eyesight, and they learn from their mistakes really quick. Plus they are something to call in and shoot when coyote hunting is going poor!

smokingun, It looks like easy pickings for a crow hunter in Utah, but they cannot be shot in this state. If Utah ever had a season on them they would be act much smarter in a hurry.

Crow hunting is 1 of my favorite things to do. We all get together 2-4 us and have a blast.Things like who shot the highest and closest crow etc. About like duck hunting in the woods.All the farmers in my area love for you to shot them they reak havoc on crops.Plus they are the #1 predator to turkey,duck,and song birds eggs.Plus once the farmer/land owner lets you in the coyote hunting is all most always givin.

We started hunting them when I was a teen. To this day it's more fun than shooting the neighbor's cat. Challenging to call, challenging to shoot on the wing, and on a good day a chance to burn a mess of powder. I love getting in a fly way and watch them come over the horizon toward your spread. You can usually tell the ones that are going to commit to your set-up a quarter mile away. The best ones are those that hover over at 10 to 15 yards and take three simultaneous loads of high brass sixs. Five minutes later there are still feathers in the air. LOL Great stuff.

I'm told that most of the big black birds that we see here in Utah are actually some sort of raven, and NOT crows. The ravens are federally protected, and so that's another reason why we don't hunt crows here in UT. They don't want people accidentially shooting protected ravens thinking they're crows.

Quote:
I'm told that most of the big black birds that we see here in Utah are actually some sort of raven, and NOT crows. The ravens are federally protected, and so that's another reason why we don't hunt crows here in UT. They don't want people accidentially shooting protected ravens thinking they're crows.

Crow: The genus was originally described by Linnaeus in his 18th century work Systema Naturae. The name is derived from the Latin corvus meaning "raven". The type species is the Common Raven (Corvus corax); others named in the same work include the Carrion Crow (C. corone), the Hooded Crow (C. cornix), the Rook (C. frugilegus), and the Jackdaw (C. monedula).

Both crows and ravens are the same genus, corvus, some say the difference between crows and ravens is the size, but if you take a human (Homo sapiens) that is 5 ft tall would you consider them a different animal when they grow to 6 ft?

Quote:
We have lots of Ravens here also...but still have the season for the Crow. What is it...120 days I think, by Federal law?

That's what I have heard... but there are a few states that have NO closed season at all (crow shooting 365 - pig heaven).

From what I have heard, the crow protection came in by accident in an old treaty with Mexico, and while some states are fervent about enforcement, others have a "What the hell" attitude, and haven't done anything about it.

When I lived in Pennsylvania, they had closed seasons, but crows could be shot under "depredation rules" (from the Latin, meaning "to Plunder").
So if a crow was, or about to: eat crops or crop seeds, harm song birds or their eggs, or any "etc", they could be shoot.

The Game wardens took the attitude that crows are ALWAYS on the way to depredate, so shooting them anytime was OK.

I was just fine with that!

-

257 Wbm on crows??? You got some b-i-g crows, Dude /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The season runs 120 days (I think) here in Arkansas but in an effort to make it cover as many weekends as possible you can only hunt them Thursday - Monday. The get Tuesdays and Wednesdays off. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif The season usually opens in September and closes around the end of February. Right before or around nesting time.

If you have a depredation permit you can cap them destroying crops and such. Although I'm sure it's only the most uptight game officers that would write a guy a ticket for shooting a crow out of their garden. The only things on the open season list here in Arkansas are starlings, rats, and armadillos.

I've eaten crow before, but never the kind with black feathers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif To the best of my memory it tasted bad and stuck in my craw for a while, also.

If you go to www.crowbusters.com you will find a number of recipes for crow. I won't say "never" but I'd have to be pretty darn hungry.

Here is AZ we mainly have Ravens down in the desert and they are ILLEGAL to shoot. When you get close to the New Mexico border there are crows and ravins. That's where you have to be careful and know the difference between the two. Tail feather formation is different and beaks are different. AZ even ran a special on our local channel about the difference between the two and how to identify them. KNOW THE DIFFERENCE or it could cost you your gun, vehicle, license, and jail time.

Back