3x9x40 or 3x9x50 which one?

mkeller72

I am thinking of putting a nikon prostaff on a savage model 11 .243 and want some opinions on which scope size to get. Should I go with the 40mm or the 50mm objective and is there that much difference between the two?

If most of your hunting is done during daylight hours go with the 40mm but if you hunt mostly at night like I do the 50mm is a no brainer.

The comb height on some rifles is so high that low to medium rings may be too low for proper eye position. Take into consideration your size and comb height when selecting rings, mounts, and scope objective diameter. It is more important that it all fits for you, than what objective you have. Some 40mm objective scopes are just as bright as many 50mms even in the same brand. Size and weight can be important for some scope applications, and the 50mms are a bit heavier.

I went with the 3x9x50 and only had to put medium rings on the savage .243, I really like it. I think either would of been a fine choice but went with the 50mm for the little bit of extra light for dusk and dawn conditions.

Back