barrel break in

DennisP

I know this was posted back a few months ago, but I cannot find it. I just got my new CZ 527 .204 Ruger and I want to break the barrel in correctly. Someone had a post a while back about fire one shot and clean it. Do that 10 times. Then fire 2 shots and clean it and do that five different times and last fire 5 shots and clean it, doing that twice. Does this sound about right or have I forgotten the pattern. My manual doesn't say anything about it.

Thanks Dennis

There are lots of different theories on barrel break in including the one you posted. I've not done that in the 45 plus years of big game and varmint shooting, but to each his own. Just don't get the barrel to hot. I just shoot and clean mine at the end of each shooting session. My 204 Ruger Varmint makes tight groups so I'm happy. I firelap all the handguns, but not the rifles.

Gale McMillan wrote this before his death:

The break in fad was started by a fellow I helped get started in the barrel business. He started putting a set of break in instructions in ever barrel he shipped. One came into the shop to be installed and I read it and the next time I saw him I asked him What was with this break in crap? His answer was Mac, My share of the market is about 700 barrels a year. I cater to the target crowd and they shoot a barrel about 3000 rounds before they change it. If each one uses up 100 rounds of each barrel breaking it in you can figure out how many more barrels I will get to make each year. If you will stop and think that the barrel doesn't know whether you are cleaning it every shot or every 5 shots and if you are removing all foreign material that has been deposited in it since the last time you cleaned it what more can you do? When I ship a barrel I send a recommendation with it that you clean it ever chance you get with a brass brush pushed through it at least 12 times with a good solvent and followed by two and only 2 soft patches. This means if you are a bench rest shooter you clean every 7 or 8 rounds . If you are a high power shooter you clean it when you come off the line after 20 rounds. If you follow the fad of cleaning every shot for X amount and every 2 shots for X amount and so on the only thing you are accomplishing is shortening the life of the barrel by the amount of rounds you shot during this process. I always say Monkey see Monkey do, now I will wait on the flames but before you write them, Please include what you think is happening inside your barrel during break in that is worth the expense and time you are spending during break in.

The very best target barrels are ALL hand lapped. Every one of them. For a number of reasons. Just what do you suppose hand lapping a barrel does? The barrel maker "breaks in the barrel" for you before he ships it to you. I sure get tired of reading how custom barrels don't need to be "broken in". They ARE.

Factory barrels are quite rough by comparison. An amature shooter will likely gain some positive effect from "breaking in" his barrel.

Whether a professional does it, or you the amature does it, either way, it's the same desired effect.

Yotecallr

I like what Gale McMillan has to say. That has always been my thoughts, but you read so much now a days that one never knows what is right and what is wrong. I think I'll continue doing what I have done for so many years. It seems to be working.

Dennis

I always break my barrels in, but they aren't "wasted" shots. I am steadily zeroing the rifle in while I'm breaking it in. I'm also checking the loads on the chronograph.

I have broken in the barrels on many custom rifles that were benchrest rifles or custom P. dog rifles. All of these guns had Hart, Pac Nor, or Douglas Stainless Steel Match barrels on them.

The process involves shooting 5 shots, cleaning inbetween each shot, and carefully monitoring the amount of "Blue" on the patch after applying a copper solvent.

After 5 single shots, you go to 5 three shot groups, then 5 five shot groups, carefully watching the amount of "blue" on the patch after applying copper solvent.

What is unreal is that you see the amount of copper fouling start to really taper off somewhere between the third and 10th shot.

It is really a pain in the @ss to break in a rifle barrel, and I will never do it again, I just clean after the first 5 shots on a new custom barrel, then after 10 shots, then when ever the barrel needs cleaning. Breaking in a barrel is like going to the dentist, I really hate it!

Having said that, I don't think that you can ever break in a barrel that is a factory barrel, there are simply too many tooling marks in the barrel. I have seen most factory rifles smooth out after 300 or so rounds.

If you want to help your barrel out, then apply JB to a brush and swab your barrel 25 strokes with it, it will surely smooth out some of the roughness in a new factory barrel and will not hurt it at all. Flitz, on the other hand will remove some metal, and do not use it in a rifle barrel unless you want your lands that are normally sharp, rounded (learned this the hard way). Owning a bore scope can drive you crazy.

Rem Clean in the yellow tube is also a serious abrasive that will lap your lands round in your rifling. If you find that you have a rifle that is a copper pig, there are some bullet coatings that can and will reduce the copper fouling in your rifling such as (SPL) that Todd Kindler sells and Fastex. I have used Wax for over 20 years on my p.dog and ground squirrel loads where high volume shooting is taking place. I have very knowledgable freinds that swear by Danzac and they all have quit using Moly that builds up in the barrel.

The use of good brushes with a good copper solvent is all you need on new factory guns, and you should be prepared to clean the gun after 12 or so rounds, first trip to the range...you will get a load of copper out of the barrel after 12 rounds! Cleaning frequency will start to taper off as you get more rounds down the tube. Every barrel is different, and accuracy will dictate just how often you clean your rifle.

Accuracy is a relative thing, you will have to make up your mind just how accurate you want your rifle to be. Most rifles can be very filthy and still shoot 1 1/2" at 100 yards. Personally, I think that 1 1/2" at 100 yards is all the accuracy a Coyote hunter needs, your thoughts may be different. I strive to get my rifles to shoot 1/2" at 100 yards, but some sporter factory barrels just will not achieve that lofty mark.

I have never seen a Remington, Savage, or Ruger factory rifle that shot better with 100 rounds down the barrel vs 10 rounds down the barrel in regards to cleaning frequency.

Every savage that I have owned was a copper pig and very tiny groups were shot with all of them. The cleaning frequency was frequent with them, but the accuracy was simply outstanding, and that is an understatement. There was simply no way to lap the barrels on these rifles smooth, and I do make two different grades of barrel lapping compounds.

If it makes you feel better to lap your barrel by breaking it in, go for it. Fire lapping, however, is a very, very severe lapping process, and I would avoid it at all costs. Fire lapping is something that a guy does as a "last resort" fix. Fire lapping that I have done has lapped out .050 or more out of the throat, making it that much more difficult to reach the rifling when seating bullets.

Good luck!

[quote..by ackleyman]..{every savage that i have owned was a copper pig}..i agree i have a steven's 22/250..lot's "o" folk's here love them..i think there o.k. anyway i notice after about 20-25 round's mine open's up..it copper foul's..clean with two-three fouler's..it shoot's outstanding..until the 20-25 round mark..don't get me wrong the accuracy is still coyote hunting acceptable..it's interesting how well it shoot's clean..@ this point with this & other's rifle's i'm not a believer in the fouled bore concept..i'm not saying i'm right or can back anything 100%../i don't think a break in is required & think probably in most situation's a guy should just keep his rifle fairly clean..shoot & have fun..

Back