Decoy placement

Doc

Hey guys,
When you are using your decoys, where do you set them up? I have tried one out, but I seem to always want to go move it ya know? Like it just dosen't seem to be in the right place. What are some of your opinions on this? I have a lot of woods as well as a lot of pastures around here.
One other thing, and this may sound dumb but, do you always match the decoy to the sound?

Decoy placement isn't too tricky. Look at various spots in the area you're going to call, and ask yourself the question, "If I were a coyote coming from there, would I be able to see the decoy?"
At the same time you need to be careful and consider whether it's worth putting a decoy out at all. If putting a docoy up at that one juicy spot means exposing yourself to miles of open country, I'd just focus on getting into position and calling without the decoy.
If you do have some cover to conceal yourself as you put your decoy up, do it. I am a very strong believer in decoys. Use them whenever possible.
As far as matching calls to decoys, I really don't think it matters. I use my turkey decoys with rabbit calls, fawn bleats, and other distress calls. The coyotes never seem to care. The coyotes are responding to a call of distress. They aren't thinking about whether that racket is coming from a baby cottontail or an injured calf. All they know is that it sounds like an easy meal. They head towards the sound, and they see a little black where the sound is coming from. That pretty much means the end for Mr. Coyote.

good luck,
rojo

Oh yeah, I thought of one more thing. It isn't necessary for you to see the decoy when you're calling. Often times, the best decoy position will be just out of your view. In a little dip or over a little rise for example. It's natural to want to see your decoy, but sometimes it just doesn't work that way. As long as the yotes can see it, it doesn't matter.

wink.gif

rojo

I normally put the decoy about 3 feet farther cross wind than the caller (remote) and in a position that it stands out. I try and get it where approaching predators can see it from the three directions I want them to come from. I know if they come in from downwind of me the decoy won't do any good anyway.
As far as matching the sound to the type decoy I know where you are coming from. "Why is a rabbit sitting there if a bird is screaming?" I don't think this is going through the predators mind but it does distract me. I like something moving around, inside a thin bush when I use bird distress calls. Gives me a more positive outlook on the call and I tend to stay more focused if I really believe in the stands chance of success. Hey, silly maybe, but it is important to believe.

------------------
"Go out early, come home late. Call all day."

Alot of time I like to put the decoy upwind about 50 yards in case the yote decides to try and circle down wind. I usually hunt in open country so this doesn't always make much difference but in heavier vegetation it works well.

Hey Doc, thanks for asking that question. You cant bet the help these guys offer. I`m just about to try my first decoy tonight. GOOD luck to ya fella. ---------- METCALF

Just keep in mind, a decoy can be SEEN EASIER if it's moving, so you have more options. in other words, you don't have to place it in the middle of a field to be noticed.

Back