Smoking and scents

shotgun

I have read several posts regarding "chew" while hinting. However, I haven't seen any posts on smoking while hunting or on stands.

I am a smoker and in 20+ years of hunting some of the guys that I hunt with are real fanatical about using scents, both attractant and cover. While I do use attractant scents and decoys, I only go so far as using non-scent soap and deodorant. However, while hunting and on stands I usually smoke a cigar.

Does anyone else smoke while on a stand?

If not do you smoke between stands?

Do you think that it makes a difference?

------------------
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
one shot~one kill

I chew more than I should, so when I'm hunting more often than not I chew.I don't think it has ever caused me a problem.

I smoke while hunting, to cover up the nasty smell, I always have a bottle of rare-earth scent that I use to refreshen up a bit.

Seems to work just fine because I rarely see animals spook because of it catching my scent....
wink.gif

------------------
yotewalk.gif

Shotgun,
I have smoked between stands, chewed snuff while on stand, used no cover scent and still killed coyotes. I do believe however, that if we could get to our calling stand smelling exactly like "nothing" we would surely call and kill more critters. Since it is just not possible to cover or eliminate all human odor, I guess we are just gonna have to play the wind and do the best we can n spite of the super nose of Mr. coyote.
smile.gif

My experience with deer is that if they get in my scent line most of the time an old doe will bust me whether I have taken a bath and left my clothes outside or not. I have gotten by with a few leg stomps by young deer but an old doe and they are all gone. I think a Coyote is usually as sensitive but can smell you better than an old hound or even an old doe. If the wind you are sending to them has you in it, they are gone no matter if you are smoke or not. I dip, but I spit in a bottle on the stand bowhunting. If wild turkeys could smell you, they would be strictly rifle fodder.

try not smoking for a while and see if it makes a difference. I do not smoke and think it would make a difference.

If you're killing more than you're not seeing anything, then I'd say your okay. Smoking a cigar while on stand would probably cause more movement issues than anything else.

Personally, I don't smoke, and I don't use scent blocking products. However, I carry around a small Tupperware container with cotton balls covered in skunk. I crack that open on my downwind side and let it travel with my scent.

Not sure if it works on down wind coyotes, but it does work on down wind fox. The last red fox I shot came in straight down wind to lip squeaks, quite eagerly, too.

When I hunt with my cousin, who smells like an ash tray, I can smell him from a good 10' away. If I can smell him, which I can't even smell half as good as my wife, then anything he touches on the way in and out is lingering with that odor to a canine's super nose.

Do what works. That's my strategy and it's been doing just fine this season.

Holy resurrected 18-year old thread! See, some questions remain the same, and open to various answers, even after decades.

I don't smoke, but I don't do anything special for scent control, for any type of hunting. I just play the wind. I figure if a drug dog can smell cocaine dissolved in gasoline, a coyote can surely smell my human odor regardless of what I try to cover it up with. Walk in with the wind, use it to your advantage, leave a downwind opening if possible, and just kill them before they get into your scent cone.

I used to share a deer lease with a guy who smoked a pipe in all of our deer stands. Any kind of residual odor in the area never seemed to bother deer or hogs.

I don't think it matters, if the dog/hog/deer gets down wind in your scent cone they are gone. It doesn't matter if you're smeared in the latest anti-scent dope or smoking a home rolled smoke you got from a hippie at the last 7-11 you stopped at

Went deer hunting years ago with my younger brother. We split up and went different directions. I elected to get in an old stand down a power line cut. I sat there for three hours and was thinking of getting down when I could smell bacon in the wind coming from the west down the cut. About a hundred yards down the line appeared my brother walking down the cut. He came right up to me as I motioned him over. I asked what he had for breakfast? "Bacon and eggs," he said. If you have a good sense of smell, you will be amazed at how well it works for you in the woods too.

I can smell Elk that are within a few hundred yards if the wind is right.

Back