Hunting after a miss

Pete

I have been hunting a wood lot that is home to a few coyotes that are preying on our cats. I had one come in fast and I got excited and miss a shot at 40 yards. I was using a rabbit in distress tape. My question is on how to change my game plan to get that same coyote to come in. I'm sure he'll avoid the rabbit call for a few weeks. I have a pups tape and a kitten tape. Will he come in if I try one of these from a different location or should I use hand calls now instead? How long should I wait before trying again? Is a few more days long enough? I'm afraid my dog will be next. After losing two cats in a week I'm confident that my kitten tape will produce. Any thoughts or suggestions on how I approach things now? Thanks

[This message has been edited by Pete (edited 04-12-2001).]

Hey Pete,
Here is my opinion on what to do...Get your shotgun with #4 buckshot and take one of your cats with you and take your kitten tape and wait however long you think is long enough.You know the coyotes habits at that place better than us..Go try it again by using your cat as a decoy..just make sure you stake your cat close enough to you that the coyote don't snag him on the run..I have some small places that I hunt and on several differnet occassions I have shot at a coyote in the morning and went back later that day and moved to a different spot and with a different sound and called another coyote in and this may work for you also!! I hope that might help you a little.. This is just my opinion and I am sure some of the other guys will have some helpful information also!! Good luck hunting Pete!!!!

------------------
Bus-Bus

My opinion?

Wait till he gets all of the cats, then call him in!
wink.gif

If that won't work, wait a couple days, set up in a different location and use a different call. If you keep at it, you should get another opportunity.

Good Luck.

You know he is in the area, use a different call , and a decoy, but use timing to your advantage,You want the right wind ,time of day, weather,etc.

Pete,

IMHO, He is probably not alone, I would try to approach and set up from a different area and try a different sound. That particular yote my take a while before he comes back. But, even after you shoot, whether you miss or not continue to call. We have all had coyote come in even after the first shot.

Good Luck,

Vinny

Back