Am I just stupid!

1Longbow

Well I got another real nice grey fox this morning and once again I tore the tail in two!! What am I doing wrong with this tail stripper? I'm going to try and sew it together. Anyone else have problems like this--1Longbow

Longbow,
How are you using the stripper? You should cut a slit on the underside of the tail down from the base for about 2 inches. Work this down carefully until the tail bone is exposed. Most tail strippers have different size holes in them so use the one that has the tightest fit, but doesn't pinch the tail bone. Grab the base of the tail bone with one hand and hold the stripper in the other one. Pull UP on the tail bone rather than down on the stripper. Sometimes they'll slide right out; sometimes they'll make you cuss! If it's being stubborn, try slitting the skin a little further and then put the stripper back on and try again. You'll sometimes pull the tail off stubborn ones if you're pulling down with the stripper. Let us know how that works.

Thanks for the reply,

From your post ,I seem to be doing just the opposite. I do fur the tail down a couple of inches,and then I pull down on the tail stripper,instead of the way you you suggest---pulling up on the tail. Thank you 1Longbow

Dont feel bad dude I have skinned 4 coyotes this year and I only managed to do 1 without making him into a bobtailed coyote.I am getting pretty frustrated with it but its just like anything else it takes practice.I dont have a tail stripper but it sounds like Im gonna have to get one.Now I just need to figure out how to get more coyotes so I can get more practice.

If you can't get the hang of the stripper, just slit the tail all the way to the tip. It takes a little longer, but not bad. The tail needs to be slit after stripping anyway.

are you hanging him while you do this
if so next time try laying him on a table stomach down when you are ready to split it and pull apart the bone from the stripper should just pop out then split it out to the end

Two things: first, you want to pull the bone out of the tail, NOT the tail off the bone, if that makes sense.
second, I keep a squirt bottle of water handy and mist the tail a bit so I can part the fur before I make a cut down the tail. It helps you to see what your doing.

instead of using a tail stripping tool i swithched to using a heavy gauge wire bent in a U shape and it makes it a whole lot easier.

I don't think you'll have that much trouble getting the hang of your tail stripper. I felt like an idiot when I went to go buy one for the first time. I had no idea what they looked like- so I just stood in the trapping section of sportsmans for about an hour until I finally found one- God knows I can't ask a clerk for help- I might not look cool! But in all seriousness, once you get the stripping part right, be careful after tanning-if you do your own- when stretching(breaking) the hide- you can EASILY tear that tail apart. pull very gently. Fox hides are relatively fragile.

Back