Loose scope eyepiece question

Furhunter

I have sent a scope back to Burris, its one of their XTR Tactical's in a 3X12

I sent the scope in 2 weeks ago, because of a loose eyepiece. I found when the rifle (AR) was on the bags, I could reach up and wiggle the eyepiece and the crosshairs in the scope would move on target, the eyepiece was loose to the point you could move it and it would stay there. Now I am no expert by no means but I argued with customer service this morning that the optical movement of the crosshair without moving the rifle would change POI on target because you are actually aiming at a different point on the next shot. They said it wouldnt, and I was told that I was actually flexing the tube. I had a Spingfield scope years ago I sent back because of the same thing.

Does this make any sence? am I wrong here? I have been a died in the wool burris guy for many years but this could change that. I was told that the guy that fixed my scope had been doing this for 30 years, I told them I have been shooting for 20 of those and I knew what a loose eyepiece can do for accuracy. Pi$$ed me off.

I've got one sent in to Bushnell customer service right now with the same problem. I know it was moving the POI on it because I was shooting all over the place. They are fixing mine. You would think that Burris techs would know what they are doing but...I own an auto repair shop. You would be amazed how many guys are out here that do not have a clue and make the most boneheaded mistakes. Just depends on which tech you get. I wish you luck. Under warranty, you are at their mercy but if you get it back and it is not right, I'd send it right back and talk to another tech or the boss.

My brother has a Burris Fulfield II and the eyepiece is "loose". He was worried about the same thing with the POI changing. He experimented with it and came to the conlusion it was not changing the point of impact. He's had that scope on one of his AR's for several years now. It's seen several PD shooting trips as well as many range trips and it holds its zero. That rifle is actually a very good shooter.

I've got the same Fullfield II scope and the eyepiece is tight like it should be. There is no movement at all.

I don't blame you for sending it back as I would probably do the same. The loose eye piece would bother me to no end. However, I do believe that it would hold zero as is. I think that the movement you are seeing is the entire sight picture moving. The retical is moving with the target.

No matter, the loose eyepiece IMO is a defect and Burris should take care of it. I don't think they are lying by saying that the POI will not change, but they are being a little shady by giving you grief about sending it in to get it fixed.

Let us know how it turns out.

I WAS going to buy a Burris for my last rifle project and was talked into a Nikon instead. I thought about a Burris for the next rifle but now I KNOW I will never consider them again. Nikon or Lupy all the way for me.

I put burris on my 6x284 and found the same thing called burris they told me the same thing. I shot 1/2 inch groups with this gun and the scope and this gun is one of my calling guns so it does get used alot. In 2 yrs it has only gotten of target one time!! It still makes nervous when i think about the scope eye piece moving so much.

Quote:
I think that the movement you are seeing is the entire sight picture moving. The retical is moving with the target.

Right but if the entire sight picture moves and the rifle doesnt, in my thinking it will move POI....right?

I too have 3 Fullfield II's in 3x9 2 of those are loose 1 is nice and tight.

I also have a Fullfield II in 4.5x14 its a little loose too.
This XTR scope was 580 frogskins, which is alot more than the others so I dont expect to have this kind of problems with it.

I did call midway today (thats where I purqchased it) Told them about the problems I had, and the responce I got from Burris, they told me if I had any problems with it after I got it back to give them a call back and they would see what they could do for me.

Burris did call me back this afternoon, told me it was going to be buffed and polished and sent out to me tomarrow. We will see how this turns out in a couple days.

For what its worth when I was picking out my last scope I was about ready to buy the a Burris Fullfield II 4-14 or whatever they are, and the Cabelas guy helping me there said that from all of the high end scopes they sell, they hae the most burris' come back with crooked crosshairs and the like. I don't think this was a marketing ploy since the Leupold I ended up buying was cheaper than the Burris.

Quote:
Any word yet on the scope?

Just wanted to see how the outcome was.

Yea I got it back last wednesday, right before turkey day. I have remounted it and got it sighted back in. The eyepiece is alot tighter than it was, almost no movement in it now. I would say they got it fixed, and I am pleased.

On another note, my dad bought a Fullfield II 3x9 this last weekend, we mounted it on his AR took it out to sight it in, and found the L&R and the Up and Down labels on the turrets where swapped, or they might be the entire turret it self, regaurdless the up was installed on the side and the left, right was on top of the scope /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Quote:
Quote:
Any word yet on the scope?

Just wanted to see how the outcome was.

Yea I got it back last wednesday, right before turkey day. I have remounted it and got it sighted back in. The eyepiece is alot tighter than it was, almost no movement in it now. I would say they got it fixed, and I am pleased.

On another note, my dad bought a Fullfield II 3x9 this last weekend, we mounted it on his AR took it out to sight it in, and found the L&R and the Up and Down labels on the turrets where swapped, or they might be the entire turret it self, regaurdless the up was installed on the side and the left, right was on top of the scope /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

What kind of retical is in the new Fullfield II with the screwed up up/down left right? Could it be that you have the scope turned 90 deg in the wrong direction. If your up and down is on the left side of the scope, you need to rotate the scope 90 deg clockwise. I'm just sayin /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Make sure on the right left up down you didn't mount the scope up-down on the left and the right-left up looking to the muzzle. Not that I have ever gotten to the range on a quick mount and done that very thing. LOL

Gentleman
I have mounted prolly a hunert scopes in my life, it is correct, the recticle is upright, and I checked it several times when mounting, then we got to the range to sight in and found the problem. No kidding its backwards.

Back