Browning BAR - Cleaning and Reliability

goody523

I am about to buy a Browning BAR in .243 to use as my long range, fast shooting coyote rig (I don't seem to call in too many, but when I do there are often multiples and I think an autoloader would be a great advantage in hammering more than one). Since it comes in a variety of camo patterns I don't even need to worry about painting the thing once I get it to deal with Mr. Wiley's excellent vision. I also plan to use this gun as my son's first deer rifle as it should have next to zero recoil in an autoloader of that caliber (especially since it has a recoil pad as well). My question for guys who own one is how easy is this thing to clean and how reliable is it? As I general rule I am not a fan of automatic rifles or pistols as they seem to hang up at the most inopportune times, but I hoping the BAR is better than average as I hear good things about them. What do you guys have to say?

I have two of them and over the years they have never failed to function regardless of weather or conditions. I clean them once a year, after the season is over. I know an old man who lived on the back of a steep Ozark mountain that used a .243 BAR for everything that walked, ran, crawled, flew, and probably swam for many, many, years. I loaded 100 of the 100 grain Hornady Interlock spitzers with a dose of IMR-4350 for him each year. He loved that rifle and most of the meat he ate was felled with that gun. The old poacher would wink and tell me he "put the season in with the cooking." No telling how many deer and turkey he killed over the many years with that rifle. While I didn't agree with the poaching I know he ate everything he killed and it was just his lifestyle, the old and hard way. Point to all of this is - he never cleaned his rifle. Period - he never cleaned the gun. He'd wipe down the outside once in awhile, but he never cleaned the barrel or ever took the forearm off and cleaned the action or working parts. I asked about malfunctions and he said he had never experienced one... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Between me and my father we have over half a dozen. They are great rifles and my all time favorite. I have 1 that was made in the early 70's its been run over dropped in the mud, slung off the top of a truck, and dropped probably 30 or more times and she has never jammed or failed to fire ever. I have also never took the gun apart to clean anything. All I use on the BARS is a bore snake with a little Rem Oil. You want have any problems and defiently no regrets about buying it. I would opt for a wood or the new camo style though.

I have had 2 of them in 30-06. Used them for moose hunting. They both would not cycle once the tempature got below -25.I only get 1 week every 2 years to hunt moose so you go no matter how cold. I now carry a reliable bolt action in 300 WSM. They are not hard to clean, once you have them apart it's quite simple to put back togeather. I would not worry about shooting the multiples that come to calling as much as to making sure your first shot is a good one. IMHO they are a good gun but just not for me. B-78

Was that "minus" 25? Shew, I ain't got no business hunting when it's that cold!
I can see where probably any semi-auto would have trouble functioning at that temp.. Better stick with a bolt action in those conditions.

Thanks for all the input - sounds like I don't need to worry too much about babying the gun. The last thing in the world I am going to be doing if it is -25 degrees F is chasing coyotes, but I can appreciate the fact that in some conditions you hunt when you can and if that is what Mother Nature deals you then you just deal with it.

I can also appreciate the "make the first shot count" theory, and I subscribe to it as well. The thing is that here in MI you count the number of coyotes seen in terms of how many days per coyote as opposed to how many coyotes per day and when you get six of them coming in at one time you want to take full advantage of the situation. Also, as I said earlier, I think this will make a great first deer gun for my boys (and help rationalize the purchase with Mom!).

Thanks again for all the input.

Back