Thinking of experimenting with bait and lure making

hound_tracker

I was thinking about making some of my own baits and lures. I just started trapping this year. Just laid my first traps today . I'm only running a doz this year. Plan to expand in the future. I'm mainly trapping for predators right now. Is it worth the time and effort to make your own bait and lure for a small trapline. I was going to get a book or video on lure and bait making. Right now I purchase from Tim & Nancey Caven at Minnesota Trapline Products. They seem like great people. I'm pleased with the products I've purchased . Appreciate any feedback.
Thanks,
hound_tracker

I have bought gland lure over the years, but never bait unless you count sardines or something like that.

Shoot a rabbit or squirrel or burn some cracklins. Another good bait is bacon grease and sardine/tuna oil.

You can make your own bait by chopping up sunfish/crawfish and putting them in jar with some water. Then just set that sucker in the sun and let it get right. Works great for coons and other stuff.

Bobcat meat is a good coyote bait if you can get it.

Go to the barn and set some mouse/rat traps and use them in your dirt holes.

Last edited:
I've made my own bait by using freezer burned hamburger or bever meat and that has worked well. The best bait that I've found for predator dirt holes, coyotes and fox, has been house cat. I make my tainted bait by burying it in a jar with a loose lid for about 30-6o days. Then when you dig it up, mix it with a short hand-full of salt. I test it by letting my dog smell it. If he licks his lips, it's good stuff. If he shows indifferance, it's a waste of time to use it. Thats what works for me.

economically speaking it just isnt worth it trying toi make a good lure. i dont use alot of bait but some tainted deer meat or a reputable dealer like Nightowl Lures can provide a darn good product. there is a lot of stuff that goes into a quality lure: glands, essences and alot of darn work to make a "workable" lure. its alot cheaper in the long run to just buy them. use the time you would take to make those lures and go scout for locations. that is what catchs ya yotes anyway. good locations.
just my 2 cents
matt

I know that I am new here but I dont think we need to be telling people to use house cats for bait,the anti's are always looking for stuff like this to use against us.IMO

Greg

In my area, agricultural fields, feral house cats are not uncommon. Much like rabbits, squirrel, groundhog, etc. In my opinion they are no different than using any other meat source for bait. It wouldn't be cool to shoot someone's pet for bait, but to utilize a nusence, road kill or wild house cat, I see nothing wrong in it. Around some of the local small dairys the cat population becomes a problem. Finding a home for them is not always an option. Just what works for me.

tt2.gif

Last edited:
Hound tracker,
You can use this method that I use to trap marten, wolverines, wolves and fox,I also use it for bear baiting. It will not help you this year but preparing it next summer it will be ready for your next trapping season. Put the remains of any fish after filleting you catch this summer (I use salmon)in a five gallon bucket with a lid on it, place behind your shed and and let it ferment so to speak till trapping season. Take the trimmings of a deer (I use moose)and cut into bait, run your wire through and let it get rancid then freeze till season opens. When you are ready to set your line dip all your trimmings in the fish concoction and let sit for a day, remove and bring the bait with you leave bucket at home and use throughout the season. It is important to wire the bait, handling rancid meat and fish is hard on the nostrils. This should work in your area and and the smell will bring them in from a long way, don't bother with any lures. Good luck

Last edited:
Back