Converting a Remington 700 ADL to BDL

NateDog

I'm looking at buying a 700 ADL 300 mag. I am wanting to build up a good long range gun. I want to get a good aftermarket stock for it (barrel too, but that isn't the issue), but most options for aftermarket stocks are for the BDL type magazine. My question is, how hard/expensive is it to put a BDL magazine and floor plate on an ADL to work with an aftermarket BDL stock? I assume everything else is interchangable b/w the two.

Something to keep in mind is that the ADL on average will be slightly more accurate. This is because the stock is stiffer without the bottom cutout.

Jack

H-S Precision makes their stock for the 700 ADL action.

For a hard use rifle, I prefer the ADL action to the BDL. It has one less thing for a horse to lean against a tree and reshape than the BDL. Years ago I spent a week elk hunting on horseback with the floor plate on a BDL taped shut with duct tape after a horse remodeled it even though it was in a very good leather saddle scabbard at the time.

As I said, since then I have always used the ADL style of rifle for hard hunting.

-BCB

Remington makes their model 700KS Custom Mountain Rifle with a blind magazine. Must be a reason. Don't fix what ain't broke.

I would suggest that the accuracy variance may be debatable.

For example, the tupperware stock that the last of the ADL's came with is not very stiff, while a nice boyd's laminated stock or some other higher end after market synthetics, even as a bdl version, would likely offer a stiffer more stable platform.

Now an apples to apples stock comparision, yes the adl version would offer a more stable platform.

And I can see where "less stuff to break" would definitely be an advantage for a rifle used under tough conditions.

Brownells offers a complete switch kit for $130.

I am looking at getting one along with a boyds jrs laminated stock to switch my .222 from a tupperware adl to a sort of custom set up, and at least make it much nicer to look at. The only thing I am a little leary of, is that the thing is scary accurate the way it is, and don't want to mess it up.

Back