SoreLoser "Holy SHOTGUN"

soreloser

Alright, I got it all figured out now. I found out today why some of you Shotgun Hunters do what you do. Because hunting with a shotgun is SOOOOOOOO EASY. Seriously, it's no wonder DogBoy can kill coyotes, it's almost not fair for the animal. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

OK, so I started the morning in typical fashion, hunting for real and blanked on my first 3 stands. On the 4th stand, about 2 minutes into "Snowshoe 2" I saw a hard charger coming from the right side, up wind. Got her to stop within 10yds of the FX5 at about 40yds and one shot to the shoulder sealed the deal.
shotgun002.jpg

After that, the wind started to pick up pretty good and instead of driving a whole 15 minutes back to the house I figured I would go give the thick stuff a try with the shotgun in order to beat the wind. The fact that it's a whoppin' 3 miles from the base wasn't too shabby either, given gas prices right now.

Anyway, first stand with the shotgun, I'm tucked in a bush with the FX5 screaming "Snowshoe 2" about 5yds in front of me and at about 6 minutes I heard him. Look to my left and a big male puts on the breaks about 10yds from me, I pulled up as he started to run, then he stopped like he couldn't believe I was sitting there and I put a load of #4 buck into his chest, took out his front legs and then put another one in him to finish. 1st shotgun coyote..
shotgun004.jpg

Second shotgun stand about 1/2 mile down the road I had "Adult Cottontail" playing and the FX5 about 10yds in front of me. After a whole 2 minutes, I heard footsteps behind me and just as I turned to my right I see a flash of coyote blow by me at 3yds. She never saw me and stopped half way between me and the FX5. #4 buck from the Imp. Cyliner up the old keester settled things pretty quick.
2nd Shotgun coyote.
shotgun005.jpg

3rd shotgun stand, once again about 1/2 mile away, I set up on the edge of a flat tucked way back into a bush. When I was putting out the FX5, I noticed a bunch of Jacks running around like crazy, which I thought was wierd. The call was about 5yds in front of me and I started "Snowshoe 3". It took a whole 30secs to realize why the Jacks were running, because this little female came bolting across the flat into the FX5. She saw me spin to my left to get on her and she tried to get out of dodge, but I had put my last round of #4 buck in the Modified barrel and she really didn't like the kick in the ARSE it gave her. I had to finish her USMC Martial Arts style, which she didn't approve of, but it got the job done.
3rd shotgun coyote.
shotgun006.jpg

If it weren't for the fact that I only had 4 rounds of buckshot, I would have probably killed at least a 50 more coyotes this morning. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif But I decided to head home for breakfast.

Tomorrow morning I'll be back out with the rifle, because I almost feel bad doing it with the shotgun. Fish in a barrel. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Itll be hard going back to the rifle after a run like that! nothing like shotgun hunting! I thinking of switching to pistols only, then to a bow, pretty soon Ill stricly hunt using US ARMY COMBATITIVES! (that Marine Corp stuff is a little iffy at close range! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif)

awsome job. you going to save any for Dogboy. cant wait to try my shotgun this year. got about five box's of dead coyote want to see if it work's. great story. Rick

You're killing me. I go out for 4 hours this morning and see 3 gray foxes I can't put down for one reason or another. Not a single coyote to be found. The to top it off. I get home (50 miles) and realize I left the foxpro fx5 in a bush at my last stand. ARRG.

Happy birthday Tim. This is one of the few serious posts I will do. Congratulations on a great morning. I am the Chaplain of the Marine Corps League in St George, Utah. I just got back from delivering a slice of Marine birthday cake, a letter from the Commandant of the Corps and a framed picture of the flag raising on Iwo Jima to marines in retirement homes in the St George area. there are 9 Marines in our area that reside in these homes, 3 are women Marines from WW2, and one is 98 years old. Talk about an honor and a humbling experience to talk to these folks, one of them told me he served in some small places like Guadalcanal, Tinian and Midway. Tim, its guys like that and guys like you that will make sure our beloved Corps will last another 232 years. Good luck on tomorrows hunt. Semper Fi!

Last edited:
The skill isn't hitting them with the shotgun. it's being able to consistantly get them close enough to take them with a shot gun. Besides, I love the way a scatter gun breaks em down and the Oh Crap look on their face when they realize they screwed up big time.
About time you gave it a try. Thanks the bobcat receipe. We'll have to do an Iron Chef Bobcat cook off sometime.

Quote:
make sure our beloved Corps will last another 232 years.

Didn't their funding get cut again, since their mission is obsolete?

R.L.T.W.

Quote:

Didn't their funding get cut again, since their mission is obsolete?
R.L.T.W.

I'm not sure of the context behind this but please PM me if you have any questions, instead of posting in a hunting thread.

Let's not go there, in here.

Thanks

Last edited:
I have yet to get one with the shotgun. But on very few stands have I had them close enough to shoot them. Good on you though Tim.

Holy Sh!t !!! Home sweet home. Semper Fi, I haven't seen that place since 01' I was in 3rd LAR out there at the Stumps. Oh ya, good hunting!!

Quote:
Holy Sh!t !!! Home sweet home. Semper Fi, I haven't seen that place since 01' I was in 3rd LAR out there at the Stumps. Oh ya, good hunting!!

Glad you noticed.. The big red theatre kind of gives it away huh??

Amen Crapshoot..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Shooting ducks in a barrel my fanny, you know you had fun and were pumped getting that close to the doggies..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Going to get you a bandoleer of ammo, for either your shotgun or rifle whichever, cause that running out of ammo stuff ain't happening.......

Glad were not in a firefight and your my ammo bearer, we'd be up a creek.............. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Great job on the dogs, your doing good these last two days out. Must be the sand....I hunt in dirt....... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

By the way I have a spare axel if you want to tow that thing you call a shotgun behind your furbucket, is that a crew served weapon??????????? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

It's actually one of two Ruger Red Label's that I have. This one is the All-Weather model w/ 30" barrels. There's more stainless on this thing than on your new truck, so the camo wrap was inevitable. I should swing the 870 but the 30" barrels throw a better pattern.

As long as it doesn't say Moss-Turd, I mean Mossberg then I'll shoot it.

It was pretty exciting, I will admit. But today proved that I would much rather see them buggers come strolling in from across the desert. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Moss-turd LOL!!!!

You and Mike are nothing but hillside hunters..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Drive forever looking for a bump in the sand to sit on.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

It is cool to sit on the side of a mountain, drink a soda, adjust your pad or sticks, look at your watch then take the shot.......... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I use a Browning BPS 10ga and a Ithica mag 10.
I really love using the 10ga in the thick sage. I feel I tend to get more dogs in when calling in the thick sage.
I think they feel more secure moving through it, so they tend to rush in, very exciting to say the least, to have the dogs come busting through the sage right in front of you.

Quote:

That looks a bit different from what I remember, but I haven't seen the stumps since I was in 3rd Tank Bn back in '84.

Semper Fi

That place would've been a lot funner if I had been into varmit hunting and wheeling back then. Quess we've been through some of the same ol' crap. Definately some memories though!

Semper Fi

Back