farthest 223 kill

dhull

im thinking on a new 223 here in few months, ive only had experience with 243, 243 wssm, and 300 wm. im wanting somthing cheap to shoot. what are some of your furthest kills with a 223, what gun, optic, bullet type and weight.
Thanks in advance.

Farthest for me was lasered at 620 yards best i can recall,.223 Handi bull barrel,8x56 scope with drop reticle,55 grain midway bulk bullet only going 3,000 fps,took 2 shots to connect shooting off a bipod.

sounds like a potent little round out there a ways, what do you think would be a good all around target/varmint (coyote being the largest) round to shoot out of a 1 in 9" twist barrel?

I have shot several groundhogs out at bit beyond 400 yards, but it really is stretching the cartridge's capability at that range. I consider the .223 Rem. a good 300 yard cartridge on the smaller varmints like groundhogs and the like. But, when you start talking about animals the size of coyotes, particularly at ranges beyond 300 yards, you're pushing it a bit. If you plan on shooting beyond 300 yards at coyotes, I would get a .22-250 Rem., .243 Win, or something similar.

Sure, you can kill coyotes at a very long range with a .223, but there are better cartridges for long range shooting of them.

i use a 223 for coyotes, 180 yards is the farthest ive shot one. I use winchester supreme 40 gr ballistic tips. very accurate round out of my Rem 700 VSSF and every coyote ive shot goes down quick,,, one shot is all ive ever needed with that brand of ammo.
most shots are way under 100 yards most of the time, especially here in IL, your in KY? i would think calling spots would be "tight" there as well.. lots of farms all around, fence rows, timber lines etc...
I think the 223 is a great coyote gun..but 300 yard shots are pretty rare in my neck of the woods, most places i call dont have a 300 yard shooting lane..usually a hill or tree lined creek bottom is in the way,, good luck with whatever you choose but dont shy away from the 223 if you find a deal on one. that tikka t-3 or cz 527 in 223 would make a good carry gun, my Rem, vssf is a bit heavy, but its too accurate to trade away.

I've killed pdogs at 740 yards with mine on two different occasions. That does not mean it's really a 700 yard pdog round. I just got lucky a couple times.

Against pdogs, given good shooting conditions, I can reliably connect ~75% of the time out to ~425 yards. Much past that, or in bad winds, I'll reach for the 6mm Rem.

Mike

Try a near max load of W748 and Nosler 50gr. Ballistic Tips. As always start low and work up to max accuracy,not necessarily velocity. I use wsr primers.

I shot a yote at 380 ish, he appeared to go down but in the celebration he went down in a hole and was gone, can't say if it was a bad hit or lack of power

think it was 2004 I took 2 chucks at a lzered 550 yds with my 24" RRA varminter, had a very near miss at 600 (1-2") shooting ultramax reman in 55 gr sp's.
RR

my longest so far has been about 320... but I keep on trying to break that... still waiting on something to stand still long enough... lol

280 on coys, just a bit farther on prars! I like the hotter stuff after that.

.243 Win reaches a tick farther! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have shot several things out past 300 with the 223 never a coyote though have shot one deer at close to 500 yards birth of the neck high just infront of the shoulder dropped like a one egg puddin if you stick with the heavier 55 and 60grainers you will be alright I am not going to find a problem getting a head shot @300 with my dpms they'll go down ... the bullet still has much more power than alot of people give it credit for .... I am one of the biggest 22-250 fans out there and AR has converted me I live in kentucky and see plenty of 500-1000 yard shots on reclaim and such ......your not getting as much more out of the
22-250 as you may think and if you trade off the heavy bullets for the speed then it better be explosive on impact at those long ranges then you have to factor the wind more.. if you really wanna get out there i sugest the 25 06 or the 243 with the 100 grainers

0 kills at 0 yards so far.Not a good record.Varminter hasn't had anything in scope yet.Did kill a shoot n see target at 250.DRT too.

One coyote at 421 yards. Another at 450 yards. Both dropped on the spot. Hit both right through the ribs. Was shooting 55gr v-max out of my Rem700 VLS. Each of them rolled around on the ground for a few seconds after the shot, but they were going nowhere. By the time I walked up to them they were expired. On each of the coyotes, I had complete pass through of the round. As with any larger critter, if you hit them in the right spot, they will go down....
JEV

Hunting buddy dropped a 'yote at 438 in the dark one night. Damnest shot i've seen. I had the spolight on him and partner dropped him with a spine shot. 53gr SP out of his AR-15, .223

Back