Question about a Mossberg 835 Turkey Tactical 3.5" ?

dawgkiller

I am looking at Mossberg 835 Turkey Tactical that a friend has for sale. It has a modified and x-full choke and a box of 3.5 shells for sale. Is this a good gun. I am looking for something to hunt close range deer, foxes, turkey and of course, coyotes? Any opinions?

Thanks

cant go wrng with a mossberg...only think that i can see wrong is if you wanta hunt deer you cant shoot slugs threw that barrel. you have to buy another one. you can still shoot buck shot though...hope this helped,

Ryan /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Quote:
Why can't he shoot slugs through the barrel of the Mossberg?

Its says on the barrel not to shoot slugs... i may be wrong but im pretty sure?

Ryan /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

The 835 is overbore in fact it is one of Mossbergs selling points thier barrels are bored so you have a ten gauge in a twelve ga gun. Don't see why you could not shoot slugs with the mod choke. ANd the guy with the scope eye thenm 6 POs stocks tend to do that from time to time thats why the locking pawls need to be checked and lubed.

I replaced my Remington 870 3.5 inch special with the camo 835 after shooting a friends. Felt recoil is much less with the 835 than the Remington. I'm very happy with mine. It's pretty much a dedicated turkey gun and wears an aimpoint 5000. I liked the fact it came with sling swivels, ported and camo'ed and you can put a standard weaver scope base on it.

Quote:
Previous 835 Tactical thread

Scroll down to Neckringer's post and his opinion on the Tactical stock!!

I have the Tactical turkey with the pistol grip and have looked over it in the last couple of days for failure points. I found one minor problem on mine.

This guy must have had an earlier revision of this gun. My 835 couldn't have slid forward more than an inch even if the pin wasn't engaged. The spring that pushes the pin in has plenty of pressure against the stock carrier. The pin is chamfered for quick engagement and the stock is a mesh polymer that is high grade and very well molded.

Yes it kicks like crap, but I am NOT afraid of the stock breaking. The only thing I have found is that the screw that holds the slide pin needs some loctite.

There is no reason to give this gun a bad wrap for this one persons problem. Until I see a few more people with the same gun, that have had this happen, I'll call this user error. It would be easy to hold the gun in a way that thick clothing could push on the release lever. But it would take a lot of clothing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Just seems like a lot of opinion rather than fact on this gun in other threads. I understand brand loyalty, but not everyone likes the same thing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

jmho.

Well I had gotten the 535 tac. turkey... it is a dedicated predator gun... after missing two fox with it... one of which was less than ten yards the second just about 15yrds. I decided to pattern the gun ( honestly I didnt do this because it was a last min. decision to use this gun.) it was shooting 11 inches high, 12 inches to center of group to the right, and really didnt have what I would consider a good pattern. I emailed Mossberg to which they never replied, so I called tonight and they told me to return the barrel ... after telling them that was not an option... i returned to the gun shop. They removed the barrel and took it in the back... after about ten min came back out and gave me a new gun... the barrel was bent..... they gladly replaced the gun and are returning the bent one... took the new one out and it shoots fine... still kicks hard.. lol but shoots fine.

I have two 835's one is 12 years old and one is 2 years old . The new one does have on the barrel not to use with slugs . Seeing how I got the gun on a trade , I put the improved cylinder in it and ran a slug throught it , then another and another . I had a two in" group at 100 . Both of my 835's shot slugs the same . Both guns with the .688 choke pattern the same at 65 yards with #2's .

First and foremost, a 12 gauge no matter how overbored is not, nor will it ever be a good substitute for a 10 gauge,

Second, I doubt (and Id be ticked if I worked there) any law enforcement agency that would put a mossberg in the hands of anyone handling anything "Tactical".

Its a suitable shotgun, but lets not make silk from swines ears.

Says not to shoot slugs right on the barrel... that's a new one on me. I could maybe see why, not from a safety standpoint, rather one of accuracy with the overbore barrel. Mossberg is probably trying to prevent the hassle of people complaining of poor accuracy with slugs. A slug that doesn't obturate enough to seal the bore would have gas blow by and simply rattle down the bore with poor accuracy. Pure speculation on my part and simply trying to guess why Mossberg sees fit to place that warning on the barrel.

Quote:

Second, I doubt (and Id be ticked if I worked there) any law enforcement agency that would put a mossberg in the hands of anyone handling anything "Tactical".

Funny you should say that! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

http://arizonagunrunners.net/Products/Mo...ntshotguns.html

Obviously, you don't like Mossberg. So why even join this thread?

Quote:
Funny you should say that! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Obviously, you don't like Mossberg. So why even join this thread?

I have no more against a mossberg than any other shotgun built to the American shotgun industry's current standards. I feel the same way about today's "wingmaster" and I was raised on remingtons. Making them cheap and telling people they are as good does not make them good.

Another peeve is the word "Tactical"- Heck, theres even a recurve bow out there that boasts "tactical" accuracy-Imagine that. That word is getting wore out.

Mainly my beef was touting the the 12 gauge 3.5 as a suitable substitute for a ten gauge. With smaller shot-Big Maybe- bigger shot used for predators-Nope.

Didnt mean to come across harsh- sorry bout that. The does around here arent in estrous yet, and I think Im about as frustrated as the bucks are. My apologies. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

I get good even patterns with 3.5 inch loads even with 23/8 ounce loads. People complain about how 3.5's don't pattern must not shoot them much cause they will outshoot 3 inchers. Sure some times a 3 incher might outperform a 3.5er but its not the norm. If bucks are frustrated because does aren't ready but they are, hunting should be good.

No harm done. I just wondered because it sounded like you had problems with Mossberg in a LEO capacity.

I hope you get a B&C buck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif I haven't even got to get out and scout for deer at my spots yet. But I did get one coyote down the street. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif So I'm happy for now.

Interesting comments on the Mossberg 835 Turkey. I have one with pistol grip, and have not had a problem with it at all. In fact, I took a coyote off all four paws at 60 yds shooting Federal tungsten through a patternmaster choke with it. I have a Berreta Extrema II, a Benelli SBE II, a Benelli M2, and a Browning Gold Ten, and I'll be dammed if the $400 Mossberg doesn't kill them just as dead. Are there better shotguns out there? Sure, but that one is hard to beat for the money. One product I will recommend is patternmaster chokes. They are worth every penny if you shoot large shot at anything!

Quote:
First and foremost, a 12 gauge no matter how overbored is not, nor will it ever be a good substitute for a 10 gauge,

I think it is a matter of shot charge being equil or vry close to the ten ga in a 3&1/2 Twelve ga. But like i said earlier the "overbore design of the Mossberg is a marketing tool, just like the word tactical. Haveing worked high risk warrants for years I have been "Tactical" before it was cool. He is right seems like every thing they want some newby to buy they stick the word tactical on. Any one who has ever had training in house or room clearing knows a semi or pump shotgun with an open bore and loaded with #4 or other heavy shot is about as tactical as it gets. But it seems like they slap some cammo on some single shot and suddenly it is tacticool. What really gets me is the plain jane scoped bolt action rifle put a crap black nylon stock on it and sudenly it is tactical? The bad part of that marketing stratigy is the anti's are picking up on it, useing that "Tactical" Label to paint us all as wannabe Rambo's. While some cammo helps in Varment huntingyou are best served to cammo yourself and your equiptment to match the terranin you are hunting. As well as matching the equipt. to what you are hunting. While a Barrett 50 BMG rifle has a place ( somewhere) it is not a likely tool for use shooting yotes or even Prarie dogs. I am sure some one has tried it that just gives the anti's more fuel against us. I have been looking at the aforementioned shotgun myself, I do hunt turkey and I think it would be a great gun for night calling yotes or cats. Maight want a more open choke though and the collapsing stock would make a better handleing package as well. As far as slugs go for me I do not have any restrictions on useing a rifle, I do understand that some locations limit deer hunting to slugs you have my sympathy. I would look into a 45-70 myself same wt projectile more or less same velocity in factory loadings but better accuracy and longer ranges thats why man invented the rifled barrel. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Add to that the collapsing stock is just one more way to stick it to the anti's who want to ban such things. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Back