Help me pick a good deer/bear rifle!

Missourian

Hey guys, I could use some advice. I'm looking for a good rifle to use for both deer and bear. While we can't hunt bear here in MO, I'm strongly considering going on a bear hunt out west after my senior year of school. I want something that will be a good deer rifle, but will also drop a bear without any problems. Any suggestions? I've kinda been thinking about a .308, but want to look at all my options. Price will be a big factor in my decision. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks a bunch, Adam

.308 is a good round. Also may want to look into a 7mm magnum. It kills elk very cleanly for me so I would imagine it would be more than enough gun for a bear, and it is loaded in a wide variety of bullets and weights if you don't handload. I have become partial to the 160 grain Nosler partitions that winchester offers. As far as the brand of rifle goes, mine is a weatherby that I got on sale at Wal-Mart a few years ago, but if you are really concerned on price why not go Savage? They are ugly but the are some of the best shooting rifles I have ever owned.
BWB

Personally I love the .308 round. I've never hunted Bear with it, but I'm sure it will do the job. One of the fellas I hunt with uses his .270 for black bear as do many others, so I don't think you'll have any problems with the .308

I deer hunt with the 150 grain Core-Lokts and they have done me well. You never have to wonder whether or not you've hit the deer when you begin trackin, (which usually lasts less than 50 yards). There's normally lung and blood strewn across the ground all the way up to the deer.

After deer season if I feel like goin after some particularly nasty pigs, I'll use the 180 grain Round Nosed Core-Lokts. Probably overkill, but man they are one mean bullet!

Jake

.308 , .270 , .30-06 , .300 win mag. All proven deer & bear cals, it depends on how much recoil you can handle! Rem 700 adl's in all cals. No thrills , easy on the wallet, and they shoot well............... Tim....... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

MO, Yes you can over-debate this. That said I am a 25+ year 308 guy. I have never seen any reason to change. The other logical choice would be a 30-06. With the 'low recoil' loads out there anyone can handle them. My favorite load for deer are 165 grn ballistic tips. For bear I would use Federal High energy 165 grn TBBC. These Fed high energy 308's have more energy than most 30-06 loads.

There are plenty of nice guns out there. My current favorite is an A-Bolt Medallion 308 with a Vari-x-III 1.75-6 scope.

muskrat,
'low recoil'?? with a 30-06... i'm 140lb 6'and i killed a deer with it and didn't even notice the recoil... oh well
as for the gun i got a savage 111 30-06 package deal (and sweer by it) it ws $500 at bass pro (with scope and slind)but know i see them at walmart for $345 man that really maks me mad... oh well i gess i'll have to live with it

Savage model 16FSS Weather Warrior rifle in the new 7MM Remington Short Ultra Magnum caliber. It has Stainless Steel barreled action in Black synthetic stock with positive checkering, dual pilar bedding. Barrel length is 22", and weight is 6 1/2 lbs. Savage is well known for low pricing,accuracy and the accu-trigger.

If it's your only hunting rifle (sounds like it is) you might as well choose a sexy new caliber and be a little different from the next guy.

TAC

Savage-Man, What I was refering to was the new loads by Remington & Federal that are somewhat reduced "low recoil" loadings. This can bring down the recoil in a 30-06, 308, or 270 to at or below a 243 or so, depending. Yes, even a younger experienced shooter can get used to a little kick, and shooting at game it is seldom a concern.

It just provides more options for a guy(or gal) looking at a rifle caliber.

Hi, All these guns mentioned will do the job. When you mention bear I recomend staying in the .30 caliber and up. It is usually best to stay with time tested calibers not because they are better. They are readily available in many models and manufacturers and sometimes at a better price or promo sale. Also ammo will be available nearly anywhere and again often at better prices. Memory of felt recoil is reduced by adrenalin and excitement when shooting an animal. After working up the chain from .243 I now shoot a .300 Win Mag for all my big game hunting. This caliber has put an end to tracking for me. One shot and go get it. My wife has moved from .280 to 30-06 and has taken many deer and several elk all one shot kills. She is 5'7" 130 lbs. Have heard of many good deals on guns at walmart lately. Saw a Savage 30-06 cheap there the other day. Go hold a few and find a comfortable one for you. Good Luck

All the above calibers will surely do the job on Black bear (if that is the one your are referring to)with out a problem.

My personal caliber of choice for what you want to hunt would be a 270. It's not so much as the caliber tho as it is the bullet that you need to use.

I have friend here that has been hunting for the last 15 yrs with a 243 and has taken at least 12 deer with it and 5 black bears. He has never lost a bear using a 243 either.

There has been many of the bigger species (elk) that have been taken using a 270 and a good bullet (such as a Barnes "x" or Nosler Part.) will work very well in this caliber.

I also have a '06, 7 mag, and 300 mag, but I will hunt deer only with the 270 and using the 130 "x" bullet, for it's more than enough to take any deer or black bear - "it's in the bullet".
-------------
Coyote Control

Thanks for all the replies. I was leaning towards a .308, but now I'm also strongly considering a 30-06. From all the reading I've been doing over the past few days, I think coyote control is right...........gun size is mor personal preference than anything, just need to use the right size bullet. Thanks for again for all the help! Adam

any gun listed here is fine.... one thing to consider is availabilty of shells and cost of the shells.
I hunt with a 300 win mag for Wisconsin Whitetails... in reality the caliber generally doesnt effect the price greatly on a bolt action rifle. I hunt with a browning but like the Tikka and Sako as well. I really like clips for my rifles and many brands are now making them like this.

I bought my wife a .25-06 in my opinion this may just be the best whitetail round out there. But it is limited she will never hunt elk or anything bigger than a whitetail the recoil is light and has great ballistics and knockdown power.

I also will take a 300 win over a 7mm mag any day of the week. Ballistics are so much better. I shoot 150gr out of my 300 I too never have tracking issues and its also very accurate and very flat shooting at that grain.

If you are going to be on limited funds I would agree the 308 is probably the best choice. Ammo is available anywhere and in bulk if you desire. The 308 is exceptionally accurate and recoil is mild. I would spend the money wisely and look seriously at the Tikka line since they have a proven history of accuracy plus with the detachable magazine it makes loading and unloading a snap. 30-06 is also a great choice for all the same reasons.

.300 win mag hands down. I do like the .308 but I like my .300 alot more, its a good gun for everything, and if you ever want to go elk or moose hunting you have a gun that will be perfect for it.

30 cal deer rifle.period.The only debate should be over range.hunting over bait from treestand?30-30 more than enuf.Spot and stalk with 200+yd shots?Pick a flat shooter and get to know it.

Back