Green Eyes or Orange Eyes....

PurePredator

I havent figured out what causes which, male or female, pup or old dog...

But I have figured out that a tight pattern of 4buck to the face, gets them to shut real fast...

Mike
Pure Predator

Green eyes don't come on predators. They are on prey animals. You know like deer, cows, rabbits, etc. Red eyes are on predators like coyotes, coons, bobcats, lion, panthers, sasquatch, chupacabra...

I used to use a light with a nitrogen bulb which cast pure white light. You could pretty much tell what you were calling in by the color of the eyes. Orange was a cat, green, a coyote, silver, kit fox, etc. I wish I could find another light like that.

Charliebee,

the reason I ask this the a couple of nights ago, I was using a white light, and had four coyotes respond to the calling and 3 had orange eyes, and 1 had green.... They all came in almost on line, 10 feet apart... I beleive that it was a family group that had yet to disperse...

Thanks for the response though...

Mike
Pure Predator

Amen on that. I've seen plenty of cows with red eyes at night. You won't EVER catch me identifying an animal by eye color. Eye color is the last thing I'd ever look for when night hunting. Eye movement tends to help when you get used to seeing how each predator's eyes move when working in to the call, but NOTHING replaces seeing the body of the animal and making 100% sure of what you're shooting at. Just not worth the risk, fellas. Plus, if all you can see are eyes, they probably haven't worked in close enough for a high percentage shot.

Take care and God Bless,

Rusty

I go by what color my dogs eyes are. I have one chessie with green eyes. My other one has silver eyes. I have two labs with green eyes and one with red/silver eyes.

In other words, theres NO way you can tell the critter from eye color.

I am color blind but I can easily tell if the animal is a Predator Dog, Coyote, Fox, Cat, or Coon by the brightness of their eyes.This is only useful to allow you to get ready to shoot. Shooting the farmers dog will surely get you thrown off the property and maybe arrested.

Quote:
I go by what color my dogs eyes are. I have one chessie with green eyes. My other one has silver eyes. I have two labs with green eyes and one with red/silver eyes.

In other words, theres NO way you can tell the critter from eye color.

I got a Lab that when shined shows one bluish and one green eye.

When shooting at night I gotta see the whole thing no matter what the eye colour is. But have noticed most predators seem to have red to yellow eyes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

WE use red lenses so all eyes are red. I used to use a softer shade of red and sometimes they would shine green if they were not looking directly at you but slightly off to the side. I noticed over the years that you can really catch on to whats out there by whatching the head movements (head bobbing-deer) short shuffing gaits are coons and quick bouncing low bright eyed critters are likley to be fox. Feral cats usually zig zag on the way into a call which adds a little challenge to the setup. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The substance on a predators' eyes that refelcts light is called crystaline. It helps the animal's eyes to gather light to see better in low light. Predatory animals have more of the substance that prey animals. Humans have almost none which is why hunam eyes don't reflect light. If you're using a standard spotlight that throws yellow light you'll get a mixture of colors from red, silver to green. A pure white light will reflect the color of the crystaline on the surface of the animal's eyballs.

No one said anything about using the eye color alone to identify what kind of animal you had in your crosshairs.

We have video footage of a group of 7 coyotes coming in to a white light. Just about all of them have different color eyes. Like Most have said, you just cant tell by color. The cats are usually much bright to me, and have a gold tint to them.

I know that the pros know this already, but for academics:
It helps to keep in mind the biological basis for the eye reflections you experience at night. A predator's eyes facing forward to focus on what they are trying to kill and appear brighter when exposed to artificial light because of that fact.
The reflectors in the eyes are bouncing your light straight back to you when looking your way, which gives their eyes a more direct and bright appearance.
Whereas a prey animal's eyes face outward to increase field of vision so they don't GET killed by predators. Hence, the light reflected back to you from their eyes is somewhat dimmer, by comparison to a predator.

Another good way to help identify an animal at night is to see how the reflection of the eyes change when the animal turns it's head. If the animal turns it's head when lit up and the reflected eyes disappear simultaneously and reappear quickly like high beam headlamps, it is most likely a predator.
A deer, rabbit, cow or other "prey" animal will usually still have at least one reflected eye visible when moving it's head to & fro to a certain degree.

A predator's eyes remind me of a pair of red laser pointers directed right at me...

Back