Remington XR 100 Rangemaster

Stealth1959

I have found a NIB Rem XR 100 Rangemaster in .308 for $680. I am a little bit skeered of Remmys based on some reports I have read.

I've looked at the Savage rifles and like the Predator,, but they only have it in 223. I have a .204 Ruger in a Savage already.

I want a .308 to punch paper and the occasional deer hunt (I hunt in blinds so packing a heavy gun is not an issue).

Does anybody here have a Rangemaster?

I have had two, (both in .204) and they sucked - I still have the second, and it will be rebarreled to 20 Tac in the future.

However, the problem with the rifle was the long throat (veeeeery loooong), and the slow~ish twist - not the workmanship.

If I found one in .223 or 308 for the price you stated, I would snap it up in a New York second - they are very nice (except in 204 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif )...

... and the action is a little jewel!

Why would you think Rem would ever make a gun with a short throat. To the best of my knowledge every Rem that ever rolled out had that wonderful long throat.

The should come out with a giraffe model. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have a Rem 700 VLS in 204 Ruger. I imagine the barrel and chamber are the same as the Target Master's. Mine shoot great.

Well, I went by and got it tonight. It was $650 less $65 on Gander's 10% off everything sale. I had a Nikon Manarch 3-9X40 that I bought when Nikon was dumping them for $240.

The guy at Gander said the .308 was a Gander Mtn exclusive. Who knows.

I cleaned the barrel out, and couldn't belive the chit that came out of it.

Quote:
"... The guy at Gander said the .308 was a Gander Mtn exclusive. Who knows.

Yes it was... Gander had a bunch of them made on special order. They were not available through the normal distribution chain, only at Ganders.

Quote:
Why would you think Rem would ever make a gun with a short throat. To the best of my knowledge every Rem that ever rolled out had that wonderful long throat.

From my experience throat lengths on Rems are mostly on the long side, but not always. I have a friend who bought one of those all black cheap ADL's in .223 and a 40 Nosler sits to the base of the neck while hitting the lands. And that rifle shoots darn good.

I think a guy should take his Stoney Point OAL gauge along to the dealer and check throat length before buying a rifle. Wonder if a dealer would go for that?

Tom

Stealth1959,
Congrats on xr100. Got one in 223. We seem to get along. For the price you can't beat it. Got mine from Gander in the spring for the same price you gave. I've had prolblems and quality disapointments with all the manufactured rifles I've purchesed. Including CZ and Tikka as well.
Don't be suprised by the primer creatoring...I hear that's common on the XR's(including mine). Catshooter had his bolt rebushed I think. Mine shoots sob min. not .5 but sub min. Though I haven't run any FF brass threw it yet. Don't recall a long throat problem, I can seat 45gr. hornet sp bullets to the lands. If and when I burn up the barrel I will replace....I will keep mine!

Quote:
Stealth1959,"... Don't be surprised by the primer cratering...I hear that's common on the XR's(including mine). CatShooter had his bolt re-bushed I think."

Yup... the firing pin hole in the bolt is oversized (don't ask me why??), and so normal loads look too hot - it's normal /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Hey seen this post and joined up. tell you what man I have a XR100 in 22-250 I ryno lined the barrel for weather proofing because I bought the blued version and let me tell it rust fast .. it will shoot I got the trigger realy light and crisp about 1 lb clean and no creep .. believe it or not it I can cover 5 shots with my hand fingures closed @500 yards and @100 it doesn't matter what it is you can hit it I shot 5 shots from a lead sled @100 and stuck a pencil eraser first over the the group and covered it shooting bottle caps @ 250 all day .. I am sure none of you'll believe this story but its true...... if you have a 22-250 in the XR100 rangemaster I recomend 34.8gr Reloader-15 for hunting a 55grain seirra varminter softpoint for paper a 52gr seirra match king bthp fire form case draw your bullet out no crimp and I use cci benchrest primers..
and remington brass.... the 50 gr nolsler balistic tip bullets shoot good as well with 35.2 grains re15.....

My XR .308 trigger has some creep, but not on all shots. I have also decided to get my own bore sighting equipment. Had it boresighted at a store that shall remain nameless, and it was so far off it wasn't even funny.

The rifle seems to like the 168 gr Rem match and the Win Supreme 168 grain BST. I need to work on my shooting technique at the bench. I got a bi-pod for it today and plan on another range session Saturday.

Quote:
"... Had it boresighted at a store that shall remain nameless, and it was so far off it wasn't even funny.

Bore sighting does nothing but get you on the paper (if it's a large target)... it does NOT get you close, and never will!!

Back