25-20 For Coyotes

insanelupus

I finally broke down and bought a Marlin 1894 CL in 25-20. I've been wanting one for a while. I'm interested to see how many folks on here have used a 25-20 for culling coyotes and bobcats, what loads (specifically bullet) you used and the your overall impressions.

I suspect the 60 grain bullets at 2000 fps should be lights out for a coyote out to about 150 yards. 75 grainers may work okay too, but I think the 60s will give me a flatter trajectory.

I'm excited to start working the local timber with this little round. Seems like a whole new start to coyote hunting.

Been using my 25-20 Savage Sporter for over 30 yrs and it has killed countless coyotes, hogs, bobcats, javelina, and more than a few whitetails. I used the 86 gr for a long time but have been using the 60gr for the past few years. I haven't tried the 75s. I don't think you can call the 25-20 a 'flat shooter' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Take it to the range, zero at about 100 and then go back to 50 and see how high you are (I'm assuming open sights). I zero mine at 75 yds and limit my shots to about 125 yds.

My 25-20 is a Kimber of Oregon single shot with a 3-9 scope on it. I'm shooting 60's at 2100 fps. It's good on short range PD's, have not tried anything bigger yet.

I reloaded some 75 grain hornady bullets for my T/C encore, my shots are under 100 yards and mostly bushy,have yet to connect with 'yote or fox but I beleive this should do well low velocity heavy bullet I'm thinking DID Acorn

Back