Tikka scope mounting problem

fzapp

Got a new ss/laminated Tikka t3 and a new Nikon Monarch 3.3x10 for the boy the spring before last. Just now getting around to setting it up for him. (he lost his right eye in a shop accident two weeks after I bought it for him) Anyway I'm using the stock mounts...not really impressed but thought I'd give em a run. Lapped the rings in and mounted the scope. Set the windage at mid adjustment, then set up the laser bore sighter an then ran out of left adjustment! Flipped the rings 180 and have the same amount of error in the same direction. Grabbed another spare scope, set windage at mid adjustment an found about the same amount of error! Dovetail miscut in reciever? If it were the rings I figured that I would of seen the same amount of error but in the opposite direction. Not many mount selections for the T3 with windage adjustment? Any ideas guys? Anybody had a simular experience with the Tikkas?
Thanks

I've read about a similar issue on the GBO Tikka/Sako forum, he even sent it back to Beretta for repair, but it did no good, they returned it after 6 months /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif and it was still bad. He bought the Talley lightweight combo rings and all was well.

I decided to not use the Tikka rings, the screws really are pitiful and didn't want to waste my time, have researched the Talleys and no one had a complaint, so I went with them, with the Nikon Omega 3-9x40 scope reticle mechanically centered, and mounted in lapped low rings, I only had to adjust the horizontal turret 6 clicks to be dead center on a lazer bore sighter, so they're aligned to the bore better than any ring I've ever mounted, they use the 4 mounting holes in the receiver, not the dovetail. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

http://www.talleyrings.com/lightweight.php

http://www.swfa.com/c-943-tikka.aspx

t3lite338wm3.jpg

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll check out the Talley rings/mounts. I replaced the cheesy ring screws...I like the idea of replacing the mounts and rings. I'll check out the alignment of the mounting screws before I order the mounts though. Just thought I'd check with the forum first before I spent the money. Thanks for the links Wrongtarget. Been awhile since I've been on the site...didn't know if Tikka's were having problems I didn't know about. Everyone seems to speek highly of them.
Thanks again!

BTW, those 4 filler screws in the reciever are plastic, I didn't have a problem with em, but some have reported them hard to remove, they found the easiest way is just remove the bolt and run em all the way thru so they drop into the bolt way for retrieval, it's easier than trying to back them out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Just an update. Got my Talley rings mounted and lapped in. No change in the mounting problem! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Remounted another scope and same amount off. I mounted and centered a 5 1/2' piece of 1" aluminum bar stock. I hung and leveled a square off of the side of the bar stock and then measured the distance from the edge of the barrel to the edge of the square with a digital caliper.....050 ths off from one side of the barrel to the other side! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Granted the bar could be bent .050 ths over a 26" distance but the odds of it being bent in the direction of the error?...I don't know. The reciever appears to mis-machined /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif I think this Tikka maybe histoy.....any suggestions?

Last edited:
so have you shot the gun yet?? if you haven't your bore sighter may have a problem in this particular gun, I say shoot it at 25 yards and see what happens

Wrongtarget,
I was going to put Burris sig. rings on at first because I have them on couple of other rifles and like em. How do you determine the amount of offset insert to buy for the Burris sig rings?
It's just spending more money trying to fix an "excellent" rifle that bugs me. Not having much luck with the last 4 of 5 rifles I've purchased...Rem lssv 308,Rem xr100 223, CZ 527 hornet and now the Tikka. Don't know about the CZ 550 FS 243 yet still NIB. It just seems to me that QC in general seems to be going down hill...then again maybe I'm expecting to much. Maybe it's about time to start saving and replace these with Coopers. Anybody want to buy a set of Talley 1" med height LW lapped rings?

There's something screwey going on with those stock rings you have. I've mounted scopes on over 30-40 Tikka's in the past year alone and they're the easiest scope ring to mount a scope on. Usually takes me only a few clicks in elevation to get the boresighter on.

Even though they're aluminum, they've held up for the entire time. From everything up to 300WSM's and 7mm Rem Mag's. I have buddies that shoot the 300 and 7mm's in the Tikka with stock rings.

fzapp,

The instructions come with the insert set, but here they are just in case...

Burris Signature Offset Inserts

As far as the Tally rings you tried, if you reversed each ring 180º and runout was to the opposite side, the rings would be in question and I'm sure Talley would replace them, but that's not the case since you tried that and the runout was the same, so the mounting holes are off, not the rings.

I researched Tikka on the internet pretty thoroughtly before I bought mine, Beretta service, the factory rings and the plastic parts were the negative issues that I found, but I found no one that was unhappy with the rifles themselves, with exception of a split in a laminated stock on a 338 Win Mag.

Last edited:
Quote:
There's something screwey going on with those stock rings you have. I've mounted scopes on over 30-40 Tikka's in the past year alone and they're the easiest scope ring to mount a scope on. Usually takes me only a few clicks in elevation to get the boresighter on.

Even though they're aluminum, they've held up for the entire time. From everything up to 300WSM's and 7mm Rem Mag's. I have buddies that shoot the 300 and 7mm's in the Tikka with stock rings.

I got my first tikka this week and those where my observations as well, with the rings mounted on that rail, everything seemed extremly square to me, in fact I think its the most aligned setup I have ever put a scope on. the rings seemed very positive and most of all they are light weight,

It's too bad they use those soft, cheesy allen head screws tho, those on the SS models are just plain ugly in comparison to the ring finish.

tikkarings.jpg

get a 1 pc picatinney base and either a set of windage adjustable rings or burris signature rings with 10 moa offsets and use them to move the scope over.
RR

sdvmmt and Steve,
The problem isn't in the rings but in the machining or the barrel to reciever squarness. The dovetails are square to the scope ring mounting holes because the stock rings were the same amount off as with the Talley rings. As I mentioned before I've even rotated the rings 180 and the error was still off in the same direction. Even with a different scope the error is the same and is beyond the max adjustment of either scope. The Burris Signiture rings with the optional offset inserts will cure this. My concern now is that the bolt may not be square to the barrel. Most factory bolt faces are not perfectly square to the chamber as a norm I think....but this possible bolt to barrel squaring problem MAY be greater in this case.
As far as the laser bore sigther goes, the laser portion if not centered in the chamber the beam will not show up on the target. In this case, with the beam centered on the target my cross hairs are of the edge and about 6" left of the target center. Keep in mind this is at about 25' from the target. The 1" bar stock mounted in the rings clearly showed the barrel is off to the right about .050 thds over a 24" length. Elevation ajustment has never been an issue.
Thanks BTW for all of your replies.
Wrongtarget,
If I can use .025/ft x 300' I think the Burris .01 offset insert may work?

Back