7mm-08 long range?

I have a remington model 700 adl in 7mm08 topped with a simmions aetec 2.8-10-44 and was wanting to get into long range whitetail hunting.. By long range hunting i mean in the 500-800 yard range.. does this rifle(7mm-08) have the potential to do it.. I've heard that it is very simialr to the 308, but i wanted all of your inputs.. I'll be shooting remingtons factory 140 grain core-lokt loads.. Thanks for the help in advance...

-PPH-

The 7mm-08 is my favorite big game round, but it is not a long range shooter. At 2,750 fps., a 140 gr. Partition will have about a 75" drop at 500 yards..........

Bob

A 300 Ultra magnum is your ticket! However it may take you a long time to become proficient to hit things that far out with such a heavy hitting rifle on both ends. :eek: :eek:

Could you elaborate on the exact situation you'd be making these shots?

I seem to recall reading about this type of hunting in PA, where you sit on one rim of a canyon or large ravine, and snipe deer who feed at the edge of the opposite rim. The idea being that the opposite rim is a known distance, and the rifle being tested for zero on targets set up across the ravine where the deer are expected to show themselves. Is this what you had in mind? Or, more the over-the-cornfield type stuff?

Be advised that even small errors in distance judgement at that range makes for sizable elevation impact errors, and a 10 mph crosswind will move your bullet at least a yard or more sideways. You run a better chance of wounding or missing than nailing the heart-lung area unless you do everything perfectly. Having shot the .308 with 168 and 175 grain bullets extensively at 600 yards, I myself would not hunt deer at that range, and if I did I would not use either the 7mm-08 or the .308. A 7mm or .300 mag of some sort with 175-180 grain quality bullets would shoot flatter and wind-drift way less than a .308-case-based round, while still expanding enough to do enough damage.

If you still have the urge, try this - draw up and cut out some life-size deer targets out of heavy cardboard, draw in the eyes/nose/shoulder/haunch lines etc. with heavy black marker, then set them out at those ranges and pop away. See how many 'clean kills' you get vs. clean misses and wounding shots. Misses are free compared to gut or leg wounds, but see what the overall ratio of 'boiler-room' hits to everything else is, then ask yourself if you want to inflict the carboard results on real deer.

Not trying to be a wise a$$ or anything, but what you are proposing is quite difficult even for experienced long-range competitors (quite a few of whom I've seen shoot). While fun on paper targets, it may be quite unfair to an animal to whom a hunter owes a quick clean kill. Even with perfect ranging and very good wind-reading skills and shooting from a bench.

Just my $.02, good luck and let us know how you fare.

i have a mod 7 7mm-08 for deer. at 500 yrds with 140 grain nosler ballistic tips it has 68.88888 inches of drop a 7mm mag. has 57.316 at 500 with 150 grain nosler ballistic tips a 300 ultra mag sa at 500 yrds with 180 grn nosler partitions has 64.024 inches of drop the 300 has 18.852 inches of deflection with a 10 mph cross wind the 7mag has 16.643deflection 7mm-08 19.212 7mm stw has 56.832 drop with 140 grn swift a frame soft points and 10 mph cross wind moves it 24.655 inches at 500

with proper sight-in its doable with the 7-08 to about 600 yds. beyond that it runs low on energy required to kill a whitetail (1000 ft/lbs). You must have a super accurate rifle, a reliably consistant target scope or reticle, and lots of practice. Just ran the figures through my load from a disc program and here's the #'s
range trajectory energy (ft/lb's)
100 +4.6 2034
200 +5.36 1754
300 0.0 1507
400 -12.54 1290
500 -33.53 1101
600 -64.25 936
RR

Something else to think about is that all hunting bullets have a performance window. Depending on what that window is for the particular bullet you choose to use for your long range work will dramatically affect your outcome. 140 gr bullet starting out at 2850fps will be at less than 2000fps at 500 yards. Combine no expansion, less penetration, and a marginal hit and you've done lost the game.

If I were to try shooting that far on game the 7mm-08 would hardly be my choice of calibers. But like Colorado Pete said it is in my opinion a bad idea to try shooting that far on game. Another thing to consider is that if the animal doesn't drop on the spot that's a long ways to go and try to find a blood trail to start tracking, it's alot easier to lose a wounded animal when shooting that far. My longest shot on a deer was a little past 400 yards and it was with a 7mm Mag.

Really why shot game at that range, unless it is a yote or a pdog. Can you not get closer??? The better hunter is one who kills consistently at 100 yards or less. Than the one who kills at 300+. I really hate to say , but if your shooting 5-600 yards maybe you ought to spend a little more time practicing your hunting skills and a little less time at the range...

PPH, You have got to be kidding, you must be respectful of any animal you commit the time and effort to hunt, what you are proposing is unethical. Learn your area, your gun and the quarry that you seek. It is more rewarding to make a fast kill at Fifty yards than to trail a gut-shot deer from 5-800 yards!

I agree with CP on this one. I myself believe things tend to get iffy beyond 300 yds for the most part. Another way of of checking your skill level, atleast this is what I do. I use a gong 1/2 the size of the intended animals kill zone. Roughly 5" for deer, I shoot 3 rounds and back up 25 yds, then shot another 3, so on and so forth. When I a miss is made, I stop. The previous 3 shot range is my limit. This is done with a field rest, usually X-sticks. The reason for using a gong 1/2 the size is, it leaves a margin for error. Either in range estimation, or wind dopeing, the 2 main reason for misses( also spelled wounding hits) at longer ranges. Then don't forget "murphy's law".
In my opinion there is a difference between hunters and shooters. Knowning your limitations is of major importance. I do not mean to be critical of your desires, but hope that you reconsider. The animal deserves a humane end.
Dave

My $.02 would be you could always train yourself to shoot that far by aiming high(reticles in most cases will not allow that much deviation); but why? Personally if I were going to make a shot like that at 500yds or more, I'd get a gun with a little more range capability. 300 win mag at the minimum loaded with maybe some 130 grn. What I would be more worried about is efficiency and energy of the bullet by the time it gets there. No point in shooting at something if all they're going to think is it's hailing. My recommendation is to get a little more gun or not even contemplate it. If you want a decent velocity and energy ratio, you'd have to load that bullet extremely hot to even get it there for it's purpose, which will destroy your barrel, risk chance of blowing primers, etc. Just not really worth it to me. Especially when you have a much higher risk at simply wounding an animal.

The ablity to shoot that far , and having to shoot are worlds apart . A few years ago I read an article concerning the realities of shooting beyond 300+ yards the rifles were all the big 300's The Dakota , the Weatherby , and the Winchester . When looking at group sizes , there was alot to be desired . I am not saying you could'nt kill a whitetail at 600yrds with a 7MM-08 . Just it's more realistic that you wont , physics are not on your side .

How to best put this?

OK, lemme try this:

Since you have to ask whether it's enough, you have already demonstated that you do not yet know enough to consider attempting such a thing.

Long distance hunting is a highly specialized activity. There are people who do it intentionally. Lemme give you a general overview of what to expect to find if you talk to one and examine his gear:

He shoots frequently. At long range, fine tuning his gear and techniques. At a variety of ranges, which he will know -not guess- before the shot is taken, and will make the appropriate adjustments to his scope from a known initial zero.

He uses a rifle that has been extensively worked over. Box stock guns need not apply. It will be topped with the best optics available (sorry, but Simmons isn't in that category), that has been proven to have repeatable adjustments from the bench, not just in theory.

He loads his own hunting ammo. In order to maintain the precision required, cases are typically discarded after 3 loadings. Hunting loads for actual field use will likely be loaded for the first time.

In other words, if this is something that interests you, you have a long -and expensive- journey ahead of you. You will need to procure a rifle capable of the accuracy needed. You will have to stock & scope it suitably. You will have to spend hours shooting at the distances you wish to cover, proving on inanimate targets that you can hit what you want, on demand, at these ranges. This includes the graduate course in wind doping you will have to master.

Once you reach that point, you will be able to take to the field and pursue game in such a manner.

Yeah 500 yards is about the max for any rifle made at least for hunting purposes. The 7mm08 is a good 400 yard gun it you you sight it in a few inches high at 100 yards. It's definitely my favorite rifle. I'd grab it from the gun safe anytime over my 30/06 it will do everything the 30/06 will with quite a bit less recoil. I mean you can load 200 grain bullets in your 30/06 for a slight edge on Elk, moose, and Bear, but then your left with a 200 yard rifle.

You need to be on the long range hunting forum. Those guys will teach you a bunch. Max out what you have with much practice then build what you need. When you are ready, you wont have to ask if you have the right gear. You are in for a long expensive journey.

Yep, post is 14 years old. My how times have changed. Depending on who you ask, a 6.5 Creed is the Hammer of Thor for whitetail out to 700 yards. If that is the case, a 7mm-08 should easily pile a deer up in its tracks at 800. How's that for stirring the pot?

Back