Go Home Pheasant Hunters...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Quote:
I agree with you about people tresspassing but you better hope that the powers that be don't decide that your property rights don't matter because whether the game is on your land or not it does not belong to you it belongs to the people.

I find that whole idea absurd. They live on my land. They eat my crops. Yet I have to pay someone else to eat them? Lets just say that a lot of farmers around here don't agree with the GF&P on that topic. We still get friggin hunting licenses... but we sure as heck don't like it. The state should be paying US for every pheasant taken on private ground. Those pheasants wouldnt exist if we didn't leave some food for them and put up habitat for them to roost. We could just as well live under a comunist regime. Everything belongs to the people. Pretty ridiculous.

As for the idiots hopping the fence...
Thankfully south dakota says that you have the right to protect your property. I just wish they would stay the heck off my land. I don't understand how people can be so oblivious.

Whether you like it or not you do not own the game animals on your land. They belong to everyone. That is the law and that is the way it should be. I agree with you that people do not have a right to trespass on your land to hunt.

Quote:
Exactly right.

Every single landowner in pheasant territory has similar stories.

People sit here and defend the farmers and such, and say how much money they make off these hunters. Yeah, they do make a ton of money off them... but they don't "like" them. Get any of them aside and put a little "truth serum" in them and most absolutely HATE the out of state hunters that come and pay them thousands every year. Sure, some guys are lucky and have good crews come every year. But most can't wait for them to leave. If they had as much respect for our property as they had money... we'd be much better off!

I just got back from kicking another 2 idiots off our ground. These morons were from minnesota. They jumped out into our tree strip, which is no more than 60yds from the house, and started banging away. I got there just as they were dragging two pheasants back to the truck. I blocked the road, scolded them like children, took the pheasants, and told them if I ever see them again they will be detained and arrested.

Wow! I need to get to South Dakota soon. If the Pheasant are so big they have to drag them to the truck I want in on some of that action.

Quote:
Well I guess you could buy your own land, fence it and post it. This is America and someone from Nevada, Texas Calofornia or Idaho have just as much right to hunt there as you do.

We DO have it fenced and POSTED! That is the point of my thread and why it ticked me off.

... and if they do not own what they are hunting, and it isn't public ground... then they DO NOT have a right to hunt it.

Well, I just wanted to let you know that your situation could be worse. If you don't own all of the mineral rights (oil, gas, coal, etc.)under your surface and a oil, gas or mining company have reason to believe that there is oil, gas, coal, etc, under your surface, they are going to acquire the leasing rights from the owner or owners that have those rights. It's at that time that they have the legal right to enter your surface estate and conduct thier operations as reasonably necessary to produce those minerals located under your surface. You really have no say in the matter and can't stop it from happening. The only way you can prevent this is to own all of the mineral rights along with the surface and simply don't lease to the exploration companies that come calling.

I've seen it many times, and I've seen people come apart at the seams when they find out that the mineral estate is dominate over the surface estate and their 100 acre piece of heaven will have tanks, lines, pumping units, compressors, etc. running in their back yard. Granted, you'll likely get paid reasonable damages, but I doubt it's anything you'll be happy with. Imagine a large drilling operation taking place and several locations being drilled on your land. It's like a small town moves in during the drilling and completion of each well. Let's not forget that someone you don't know will have the right to access that well every single day, and they most likely will. You definitely wouldn't have to worry about trespassers any more, because all of the activity will have all of the game pretty much cleared out for quite some time until things settle down again.

P8170011.jpg

Just wanted you to know that I've seen people in much more serious situations than you're experiencing. I work for a publicly traded oil and gas company here in Texas, and we have wells all over West Texas, New Mexico, Oklahoma and now Wyoming. How's that for an out-of-stater cramping your style? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

In the mean-time, be responsible in your actions and do what you can reasonably act within the bounds of the law to keep the trespassers at bay. It's all you can do. And relax....there's more to life than physical possessions and in the end we can't take any of it with us. Life is too short to go through it with anger in your heart. Thank God for all of the blessings you have and when dealing with all of the trespassers, act in a way that will bring honor to you and your family's name. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Take care and God Bless,

Rusty

You are definately a wiser man than I Rusty. Nicely posted.

I agree, it could be worse.

I'm a very bad person to get on the wrong side of... so lets hope the oil companies never find anything under my dirt. I'd probably end up in jail or dead.

I do feel strongly about my beliefs... and should that situation happen... I'd end up in a cell or in a box before they drilled their first foot. ... and it would cost them DEARLY either way. I would see to that.

I feel sorry for those people whom have been invaded. A prime example of MONEY and greedy politicians being more important than what is RIGHT.

On the other hand, the people who own their mineral rights (only a small percentage in most cases) don't mind to much. I know of a guy who does own his minerals on about 1000 acres and is racking in over $80,000 a month in gas revenue.

They can directional drill now, so even if you have the mineral rights and don't want to lease it, they can just drill under your land from aroundt the edges and get it anyway.

These wells are going in everywhere at a rapid rate. Every well has a new rock road to it, and a guy that drives in to check it at least once every day.

Your right, you would end up in jail or dead pretty quick if you didn't own the mineral rights and kicked up too much of a fuss.

Quote:
And relax....there's more to life than physical possessions and in the end we can't take any of it with us. Life is too short to go through it with anger in your heart. Thank God for all of the blessings you have and when dealing with all of the trespassers, act in a way that will bring honor to you and your family's name.

Well said Rusty.

When it comes right down to it, none of us "OWN" the land....we are just "RENTING" it for a period of time...till we die. If you don't believe that, then oopen your eyes and minds and look back through the ages of time.

Wow, and I never get involved in threads that don't deal with killing predators. This is a first. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tony

Well, it's all about "rights" isn't it? You've talked about your rights as a surface owner since the beginning of this post. Well, what about the rights of the poor family, elderly woman, etc. that possibly had the mineral rights left to them in a will, etc. They have rights, too....don't they? In fact, the laws of this country say that the mineral estate shall have a precedence over the surface estate. (It's been that way long before the "greedy" oil companies came into the picture).

How can you adamantly defend your surface rights as a landowner vs. the trespassers, yet you claim that you would possibly end up in a cell or a box if someone who legally has rights that supercede yours decides to benefit from their rights and have their minerals developed? Can you really justify breaking the law yourself in an effort to stop (in vain, mind you) the development of the minerals while at the same time time feel your rights are being violated by tresspassers? (which they are) If I'm understanding what you're saying, you're trying to take advantage of the mineral rights that aren't yours, just like the trespassing pheasant hunter is taking advantage of the surface rights that aren't theirs. See my point?

Here's the bottom line that I'll tell you and I've told many landowners in the past that felt I needed to be cussed at, threatened, etc. "If you didn't want the mineral rights to be developed (ie., have a drilling rig in your field), then your family should have never sold their mineral rights if they had them to begin with, and if they didn't and the surface estate was purchased without the minerals, then the family should have taken the extra effort to purchase all of the mineral rights with it." Once you purchase all of the mineral rights, you can tell the oil companies to go jump in a lake and simply not lease to them. It's funny, though. I haven't had a SINGLE rancher, farmer, etc. that owned the minerals refuse to sign an oil and gaslease for me. Is it due to greed? No, they are just taking full advantage of their rights as they should. The landowners that cause me 99% of the headaches are the ones that have no mineral interest and don't profit from the oil & gas royalties. However, the landowners that do have all or even a part of the mineral rights are more than happy to see us coming since they can make more money off of oil & gas production than they can from farming and ranching operations. It is a wise business decision and these days they will take whatever money they can to help them keep the ranch, etc. in the family which is becoming harder and harder with all of the death taxes, etc.

This is all hypothetical, of course.....I don't even know if you live anywhere near oil & gas production or mining operations, but I'm just trying to show you that it appears that you want it YOUR way regardless of others that might have even more rights than you do.

BTW...don't get yourself in a position to end up in a cell or a box. There's no piece of land on earth that's worth that. Just do what you can to make sure you are treated respectfully and that everyone, including yourself, is acting within the law. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Take care and God Bless,

Rusty

Maybe I shouldn't get into this interesting conversation but I have to back up Orkan a bit. I live in Webster, Sd. Day county has some of the most public land in the state. Most of which is no good. Mowed, under water etc.
I don't want to battle anyone but I really don't think any of you understand what we see. Actually-you don't have a clue. We have over 100k non-res pheasant hunters, the same for fishing and about 10k waterfowl hunters. Now, not all of SD is that good for those. The east side of the river (MIssouri) is the best in general. The northeast, where i live is the best for all activites. Pheasants are better in other parts of state but if you lump all hunting/fishing as a whole the east - northeast is probably the best. So, I really don't know the numbers exactly but my neighbor is a game warden. He said somewhere along the line of 75% of fisherman come to this area, 30% of pheasants and 80% of waterfowl come here. Do the math. You have no idea how many pheasant hunters have/are here. Unreal!! Even talking to nrs. They said they will never come back. Nrs literally waiting in line to walk a public spot. Sure some of your states have nrs come but do you have approx. 200k nrs come and most hit the east side of state not the whole state? I doubt it. It is easy for you guys to back up your statements but don't judge orkan until you come watch the circus.
Many nrs are pleasant people, many are aholes that need their a$$ kicked. Lots of tresspassing.
I hate to say but the majority of SD don't really care for nrs. Here is one example why. A small lake here near webster had a hot walleye bite. Game wardens did a sting last June to catch double dippers. They got 54 in that month. 44 were from minnesota and 10 from iowa. ZERO from SD. Huh. Should we be ok with that..don't think so.
Many non-res. have lots of money and don't respect our resources. They think it is owed to them.
BS about small towns dying without the revenue of outdoors. These small towns were here before hunting/fishing got good they will be here the next cycle when things dry out, crp goes etc. We the general people don't see a dime from nrs. Only the businesses do.
That arguement won't float over here.
Sorry if i ruffled feathers but you really have no idea until you live right here and see it. My neighbor is a retired minn. who came here to hunt and fish. He now hates his homestate.
You just need to experience this.

Verg... you and I would get along marvelously. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

People that havn't seen what happens here during pheasant season... have NO CLUE. They try to think they do... but they don't.

"We the general people don't see a dime from nrs. Only the businesses do.
That arguement won't float over here."

None of those businesses hire people?
None of the hotels hire housekeepers and desk clerks?
None of the gas stations have employees?
None of the sporting good stores have employees?
None of the convenience stores have employees?

None of the businesses pay taxes which are used to maintain your roads and provide schools for your children?

We have a huge influx of hunters to our side of the state also. I get to deal with Trespassers and game violations on a regular basis. But I am not above the law. If the majority of South Dakotan's don't like it then stop advertising and stop spending the money. I think if there is a good example of influx it would be fishing in Alaska.
Small towns all over are struggling and competing for the outside revenue sources. I think too many miscalculate the tourism dollar and what it pays for. A few penny's on the dollar can quickly be millions.

Maintained roads? You obviously have never been here. lol

Whatever profits you THINK end up in the hands of john q public... you are way off base. Gas station owners and hotel/resturaunt owners are the only business's that truly benefit. They don't give their employees a raise during pheasant season! The owners just pocket more cash.

Use your heads people.

Thats alright though... keep on propogating what you THINK you know. Until you've lived here and experienced it... you won't have a clue.

If there are as many hunters as you claim, then most of those businesses would probably go under if not for the hunters, and their employees would be out of work. An influx of 100,000 people into the eastern part of your state for a couple of months, considering the population of eastern SD, probably is the only reason many of those businesses survive.

I was once driving through Sturgis, and stopped in a restaurant for supper. The restaurant was almost empty. I got to talking to the waitress about bike week. She told me that she made most of her income in a single week in August. For a lot of those little businesses in eastern SD, its the same thing. They make enough during hunting season to stay open year-round. And they have employees who would be out of work if not for non-resident hunters.

The answer to this is simple. Change your laws so that non-resident hunters can't hunt in South Dakota. See how much support you can drum up for that. Wanna make any bets?

Quote:
Many nrs are pleasant people, many are aholes that need their a$$ kicked. Lots of tresspassing.

I don't think that anybody doubts that not all of the non-residents are good people or trespassers, both of which are wrong, but if SD is going to be in the business of providing this service then it needs to be in the business. Do a search of "South Dakota pheasant hunting" on the internet and you will find that it is the people of your state inviting the people in. If there is a problem created by this then steps need to be put in place. I don't know if it should be more law enforcement, increased penalties, or something else but that is the people that live there that will need to take care of it. I wouldn't open a 7-11 in a urban area without putting in security systems that would come out of my profits so if SD is going to invite in that quantity of people then the security needs to be put in place at the expence of who invited them.

Quote:
I hate to say but the majority of SD don't really care for nrs.

Once again, they were invited by South Dakotans so you guys will need to talk this out amongst yourselves.

Quote:
Many non-res. have lots of money and don't respect our resources. They think it is owed to them.

That is true. Invite a lot of people in and some bad seeds will show up and ruin it all for everybody.

Quote:
We the general people don't see a dime from nrs. Only the businesses do.

Actually in general everybody does. I'm not an economist so I will let one speak to it instead but the money will come around. I know it seems like the farmers, motel owners, cafe owners, etc seem to be the ones getting the money but that is only on the first pass. Once they have it it continues to cycle through the economy of the area through additional spending that would not have been done without it or keeping people employed that otherwise would not be.

How many people do you think live in these small towns?
Ok, Webster-2,000 people. So the people that work at the 3 gas stations and the 3 hotels and the 2 small groceries are the supported ones. Wow that's a lot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif As orkan said, the 40 people I just mentioned don't get raises in the hunting season. Come on.
And, who advertises the hunting in SD? The general public? Hell no. SD tourism does. How many people does that equal? A handful. If we the people of the state had actually had our say there sure as heck wouldn't be any advertising to come and hunt.
Come on guys, your state governments are just as bad as ours. Do you guys who live in say Montana actually see any personal gain from all the elk hunters?
I'm a teacher so I basically work for the state. I have seen nothing in terms of all of the so called revenue you guys think we all get. Like I said, Webster was here 20 years ago and the hunting and fishing was fair. When the cycles change and it goes back to fair..we'll still be here.

Verg, you are a teacher and you can't understand that when money is spent in an area like that, then everyone in the area benefits? You didn't know that South Dakota holds elections?

You didn't teach orkan, by any chance, did you?

I always hate to engage in a battle of wits with unarmed men, but here goes.....

I used to have the same opinion when I was young when I saw out of state hunters here in my part of Kansas. Now, I believe, that Kansas is #2 behind SD in pheasants harvested. Don't quote me on that, but I believe we are for sure in the top 5. I perceived those guys taking away my pheasants!

When I got a bit older and wiser, I welcomed those out of towners with open arms.

Orkan, I think you have the perception that no one benefits, however, every dollar spent in your locality turns into $6.00 by the time it stops turning. Basic economic principle--check it out.

I know that here in Central Kansas, out of town hunters drop around $2.5 million in this area opening weekend. That means $15 million by the time those dollars stop. Your economic development people understand that very principle. Go ask the business people if they don't want those extra people in town, I think you will be surprised by their answer--they may cuss them outwardly, but thank God when they put the money in the bank!

Like tripod said, if it was such a problem and didn't mean anything, SD should stop trying to get us problem children to visit!

Seems like 1 or 2 percent of the people speaking for the masses!

Tim

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back