Go Home Pheasant Hunters...

Status
Not open for further replies.

orkan

This is getting ridiculous. I live in Huron, SD. Pretty much the highest population of pheasants in the world.

Good, because I like to hunt pheasants.

Bad, because there are an extra 20,000 or so people in my county.

This area is basically a bunch of 1 mile squares divided by roads. Pheasant hunters from all over the country. (tennesee, kentucky, alaska, new york, kalifornia, ohio... pretty much EVERYWHERE. I've seen at least 25 different license plates since opener.

Trying to coyote hunt around here this time of year is basically an excercise in futility. I'm kinda tired of getting my stands blown by these people.

To make matters worse, there are only about 10% of them that are even worth talking to. Most are "paid" hunters, so they come here thinking they are entitled to everything and anything. Most need a good punch in the mouth. A select few are good guys though. If they were all as respectful as the 10%, I wouldnt have anything bad to say.

I guess I can thank our greedy farmers and politicians for the influx. Some of these farmers are getting upwards of $2000 per gun, per day. ... to shoot some painted chickens... *shakes head*

We have always refused to have "paid" hunters on our farm... and we don't ever intend to change that philosophy.

I am very envious of those of you with the wide open spaces... and I will be for the next month at least... till these people finally go home... and new ones stop coming. Once the snow hits... most of the sissies head back to the city. ... so I guess not all is lost.

I don't mind them abit, personally. A couple of Fall's ago, opening day of pheasant season. I went coyote hunting. If I recall correctly. I seen 9 coyotes that day. Pheasant hunter's up the yang.
------
However, I'm not a big fan of group deer hunter's. One large section held a black coyote. 1dog & I called it in 3yrs ago, I missed. One group of deer hunters killed one the following yr on a "deer drive". Fortunately, they told me there is one more black in that section.

I feel for you Orkan, I was listening to the radio today and they were saying there were more NR pheasant hunters in SD than Resident hunters, that don't seem right to me.

I here ya i'm up in webster have land near bonnila and every tom [beeep] and harry are here duck hunting and don't think that puts a crunch on matters coyote and deer i feel your pain pm me and i'll talk hunting if you want orkan used to work for the REA in miller know alot of people around the huron and wolsey area relatives there

$2000 for hunting???!!!

People must have money to burn. I wouldn't pay $2000 a day to do any activity on the planet.

The fun of hunting is doing it yourself. Finding a good location, scouting, and getting on target. As a matter of fact, some of my best days hunting have been when I got skunked.

They all were free (except for gas).

Geez Orkan... You are really a nice guy, aren't ya? "Most nee a good punch in the mouth." Complain about people that bring all that money into your community? Ask the motel owners what they think. Ask the cafe owners. Ask the gas stations. Ask the farmers who get that two grand per gun. All because you want to go kill a coyote.

Wait a month or two. Furs aren't quite prime yet anyway.

I agree Randy. I'm sure the state likes the extra revenue, especially since many states charge non-residents outragious permit fees. But I suppose the local, non city-types, would rather pay more taxes or fees to support the conservation dept or whoever.

I'm always hearing about farmers being poor and such, I'd bet they enjoy that $2000 per gun.

I guess it just sucks that all those people, legally enjoying themselve, in Gods great out doors, or just so darn inconsiderate. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Quote:
Geez Orkan... You are really a nice guy, aren't ya? "Most nee a good punch in the mouth." Complain about people that bring all that money into your community? Ask the motel owners what they think. Ask the cafe owners. Ask the gas stations. Ask the farmers who get that two grand per gun. All because you want to go kill a coyote.

Wait a month or two. Furs aren't quite prime yet anyway.

I'm sure you know exactly what I'm talking about too right buker?

Half the license plates I see are minnesotans.

Everybody does just fine WITHOUT the out of staters pal. ... they are just more than happy to whore themselves out at various prices. Trust me... none of these "hunting lodges" and big pay hunter outfits are making any friends with the locals.

So far this year I've had to kick TWO crews of minnesotans out of MY LAND. Thats not counting the 10 or so other crews from various other states that I've caught tresspassing in the last week. I've got a NO HUNTING sign every 20 yards along the road. You think that stops them from jumping out into my tree strip which is only about 100yds from my house?

Judging by how many pheasants I see in minnesota... I know you don't have a CLUE what I'm talking about.

Oh lets see what other kind of fun we have when these people show up. Oh the store owners and such that you like to praise... they raise prices ASTRONOMICALLY when pheasant season kicks off... so all us locals get a taste of big city prices for a month or two. Only catch is that we don't make more money... because we actually WORK AND LIVE HERE.

The farmers you are so quick to praise referr to most of their hunting crews as the "imported idiots" simply because they will pay whatever price they ask. And if they wont, he'll have ten more idiots banging on his door that will. We live in the breadbasket of the united states... our farmers are not hurting for money. This is just extra... and a bit of entertainment for the idiots.

The only joy I get is watching these morons try to hunt pheasants. lol

I certaintly know for a fact that when predator callers go to another state... they don't impact the locals like this.

Now buker... since you seem to have a big problem with me... why don't you tell me how YOU would solve the problem of having tresspassers from out of state ON A DAILY BASIS on your ground screwing up your hunting? Call the game warden right? Oh... there are only tens of THOUSANDS of extra hunters in every county... so tell me again how the game wardens for our little neck of the woods is going to handle that influx? THEY CAN'T... simple.

Our neighbors and us had a long talk with the state GF&P office, and we now can legally detain these people at gun point, disarm them, and wait for an official to show up. We should catch the next group by tomorrow afternoon and start making some examples.

Think I'm being too harsh huh? You think you know better? By all means, come fix the problem.

All this after having 2 windows in the back of our house shot out by idiots... and having several of our calves get shot. Real fun looking out the back window and seeing your livestock jump around while getting pelted by 4 shot.

Get off your high horse buker... nobody around here likes out of staters during this time of year. Only reason you THINK they store owners and farmers like them... is because they are taking a CRAP LOAD of money off them. Of course they are gonna smile. As soon as y'all leave, everybody feels the same way.

Btw... the next idiot from some far away land that crowds me on the gravel road with their shiny new SUV is probably going to meet the grill of my old chevy up close and personal.

Now come back and tell me of your experiences with a few thousand extra nutballs with shotguns buker. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

You sure do seem to like talking about stuff you don't have any experience with. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Bet ya dont b&^%$$ about all that $ they pour into your F&G programs that help provide habitat and land access for YOU.

I'm sure glad I'm not from MN. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

People who tresspass should be punished along with vandals.

It sounds like your game and fish and perhaps sheriffs dept or local police are a pretty decent group. Not many law enforcement types I know would allow non-LEO's to go about detaining people at gunpoint. I could only imagine going to court for killing a tresspasser, especially if it was your neighbors kid.

You may want to form a group, and boycott those darn local business people in your area. It's not right that they take advantage of you guys. They should only ripoff the tourist and out of towners, damnright.

Those pesty city types should know there place and just stay there. They have some nerve don't they? After all, the rural areas would get along just fine without any help from the big cities. Rural areas can afford all those miles and miles of road, powerlines, and the school funding without those annoying clowns from the city's help.

Next thing you know, those farmers out there are going to start giving back all those subsidy dollars.

The Pheasant hunt is one of the largest revenues sources to South Dakota. Dude, your state advertises on our channels here in Utah. Come shoot our pheasants. Heck the whole system in SD is set up for out of staters. I know they are dumb and all but get over it. In Idaho they call us people form Utah “Utards”, but they don’t seem to have any problem coming to our hospitals in SLC. Heck, I know three families who stay with my relatives every time they come for medical care. The one dude is always bit%#in about how crappy Utah is and how they need to build a fence to keep us out of his Holy State. Guess what we live in a free country. So Sorry you don’t like out of state license plates and all the “dirty $” they bring in. Guess what, with out it you would not have restaurant or hotel open in you state.

I hear you loud and clear orkan, I live in BC. but some of the people here make me sick.

Like one time, im deer hunting, i have my tags, the deer is about 60 yards away and im about to pull the trigger when some retards come flying down the road on there jeep and blow this thing to pieces! They shot it right out of there jeep and when i went to talk to them they said "ohh, i thought you didn't have any tags"

I have also lost 2 game cameras and one tree stand to theves

Apparently some of you didn't follow the other thread where buker was "telling me how it is" ...

I don't hunt public ground. I utilize NOTHING the F&G provides. I simply have to PAY THEM... to hunt the game that I RAISE... that eats MY CROPS.

Sounds like y'all have got it all figured out though.

Buncha bleeding hearts.

Have someone shoot your house.
Have someone shoot your cattle.
Have someone tresspass on a daily basis.

Then we'll see where your bleeding heart is.

I agree with you about people tresspassing but you better hope that the powers that be don't decide that your property rights don't matter because whether the game is on your land or not it does not belong to you it belongs to the people. I don't have a problem finding places to hunt back in KS yet but the outfitters are leasing up ground left and right there and making it hard for locals to find places to hunt and that chaps my butt. The people that I grew up with get sheepish looks on their faces when I ask them for permission to hunt and they have to tell me that they leased it to this or that yahoo. One yahoo got smart with me as he was there when I asked and he must have not known about my intolerance for loudmouthed punks but got educated, lost his lease, and didn't like it when the sheriff told him he should have kept his mouth shut. All that I said to Sheriff White when I left was "Semper Fi". Glad to hear that you have your own land to hunt and to hear that your not whoring to the almighty dollar. Good luck keeping them tresspassers out.

If they had permission to hunt the land they was on, disturbing your coyote hunt in the process, to bad for you. Thats the chance you take knowing it's pheasnt season and hunting coyotes when pheasnt hunters are around. Just like it's too bad for me when I'm coyote hunting before deer season, knowing that someone may mess up my hunt scouting for deer. I accept that possibility and you should as well.

t/c223encore

Well you should come to Belgium and see the place where we hunt. There isn't a single spot in the field where you can't see houses. Thank God we have a lot of farmers here that are positive towards hunting. We also try to keep a good relationship with them because they own the fields here. We also have a lot of problems with "city people" who come here to walk their dog. In the law it clearly states that your dog has to be on a leash when you go walk with it. And guess what they do when they come into the field. They let their dog free and it hunts in the corn and disturbs the local wildlife here. And when you say something about it, they start becoming agressive.
But we also have some private property here in the fields. We even put a sign on every road that goes into that property and people just ignore it. We put a gate there a few years ago and they just open the gate. You know, I am happy that wild boars are starting to come towards our field. One of those city people should be attacked by a wild boar, that's the only way for them to learn their lesson!

Yeah... seems like a lot of landowners have decided that hunting is a gold mine. I'd complain more if some of my waterfowl hunting partners weren't doctors.

Still, there is a local business that bought a bunch of ranch land along the North Platte river. They offer fishing float trips, farmed pheasant and waterfowl hunting. From the looks of the accomodations they are building, they expect some deep-pocket clients.

It's kinda sad. My daughter, son-in-law and I used to hunt deer on the property... until it sold for $16-freaking-million dollars. Fortunately, the owner across the road is an old-fashioned kinda guy.

Quote:
I agree with you about people tresspassing but you better hope that the powers that be don't decide that your property rights don't matter because whether the game is on your land or not it does not belong to you it belongs to the people.

I find that whole idea absurd. They live on my land. They eat my crops. Yet I have to pay someone else to eat them? Lets just say that a lot of farmers around here don't agree with the GF&P on that topic. We still get friggin hunting licenses... but we sure as heck don't like it. The state should be paying US for every pheasant taken on private ground. Those pheasants wouldnt exist if we didn't leave some food for them and put up habitat for them to roost. We could just as well live under a comunist regime. Everything belongs to the people. Pretty ridiculous.

As for the idiots hopping the fence...
Thankfully south dakota says that you have the right to protect your property. I just wish they would stay the heck off my land. I don't understand how people can be so oblivious.

I wish we had such a law. All we can do is sue them but the Belgian court house is such a mess that you have to wait years before a decision has been made.
I'll tell you a story of last year. I went to one of the private properties my dad ownes to hunt fox. That property has a fence around it and a gate with a huge sign saying "private property". I noticed the gate was open so I entered and a few yards further I saw some clothes on the ground and a little further, a couple was lying naked in the sun! I said: "What are you doing here?" and the response I got was one of the best I ever heard. It was: "I thought that it was allowed to come here". Is a fence and a sign not enough?!!!

Dude here in Utah I think I live in Deer City on the deer hunt and Elk hunt. There are people from other countrys here on the deer hunt.
Just have to do what I did take up bow hunting and when it comes time for every out of stater to invade your turff just live with it and make a trip out of state to hunt Coyotes
Might as well shoot someone elses coyotes while there out deer hunting your home land /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back