Benelli SBE ??

VAFoxhunter

How many 3 1/2" shells will fit into a Benelli Super Black Eagle? Mine will only hold 2+1. I thought they were supposed to hold 3+1. Am I doing something wrong? We can finally hunt without plugs in Virginia.

Most shotguns come with a round limiter, usually a plastic or wooden dowel in the mag that in some cases can be removed. Your's may have the limiter installed as many states require a 3 round maximum for bird hunting ie: 2 rounds in the mag 1 in the chamber to be legal. I don't know about your states regs.

See if the plug will come out when you remove the barrel nut and cap.

Last edited:
I took the plug out and I can still only get two 3 1/2" shells in the magazine tube. That is what prompted my question. I think I should be able to get one more shell 3 1/2" in the gun but it is coming up a little over a 1/2 inch short. I tried to put two 3 1/2" and one 3" in the magazine tube but it wouldn't go.

My SBE II holds 2+1 of 3.5", 3+1 of 3" and 3+1 of 2 3/4" with no plugs in the gun. The short forearm just isn't long enough to hold anymore in the "stock" set up.

Learn something every day. My SBE is one of the older H&Ks, it'll hold 4 of the 3 1/2s. It won't hold 3 in the mag, but with a little experimenting you can figure how to lay a 4th shell in the receiver on top of the metal flipper thingy that directs the shell from the mag to the chamber. It'll cycle too, won't jam up. That's 1 in the chamber, 1 in the bottom of the receiver and 2 in the mag.

I hunt in Va myself and remember that H&K had a big dispute with the DNR when the SBEs first hit the market, because they'd hold 4 sheels, even with the magazine plug installed, the DNR was issuing tickets to hunters who didn't even know their gun would hold 4 shells. Three being the limit in Va.

They eventually got it ironed out and DNR stopped writing tickets to everyone who owned an SBE. As long as they didn't catch you with 4 in the gun anyway.

The older H&K imported Benelli's with the round safety would allow you to "ghost ride" an extra round on top of the shell carrier. This was known as the "Benelli Trick." It is a great design and offers some carry options for a self defense/duty weapon, plus gives an extra shell capacity in the gun when needed. My camo M1S90 turkey gun has that feature and I've used it while calling coyotes. I can keep the plug in the gun and not have to mess around with that and still have four 3" .12 gauge shells in the gun when calling predators. It is possible to modify the underside of the bolt on later Benelli's to allow for the fourth round Benelli Trick. It isn't hard to do and works just fine. There are directions complete with pic's on the net if you do the research.

When did they change the rule from 3? I need to read the laws more often /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif.

I feel a sarcastic reply there...? I can't speak for everywhere, but here you can only have three shots in the gun total for most waterfowl, quail/pheasant/dove, crow, small game, turkey hunting, ect... However, deer and predator hunting does not carry that same limitation. And, obviously (I would think...) self defense or LE duty use doesn't require a magazine restriction. Is that helpful... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

migratory birds require 3 shot limits everywhere, its a federal law. I have a franchi 912 (a gas operated SBE) made in the same factory as the SBE. It holds 3+1.
RR

RR,
Not absolute, the snow goose season of late has seen generous limits, extended seasons, the allowance of e-callers, and plug restrictions in the shotgun lifted because of the over populated snow geese.

I've been checked by "The Man" many times while carrying a shotgun, and the second question was let me see that shotgun. He then proceeded to unload and reload it to make sure it will only 3 shots, no matter deer, dove, turkey or squirrel hunting. Home defense has always been a no brainer for capacity, pretty much as many as you care to load in the tube. No sarcasm intended, just wondering what changed while I wasn't paying attention. VA is notorious for doing stuff like that.

AR va has a state law requireing a 3 shot limit, wv does not however to hunt ducks, geese, doves, and such we are under federal law to have a plug in our magazines as is the use of steel shot for waterfowl.
RR

I have an older SBE and it will hold 3+1 of the 3 1/2 rounds by by the method GC described. Here in KS migrants are limited to 2 in the mag and 1 in the chamber. When I have been checked waterfowl hunting the officer used a gage to stick in the magazine to determine legality. Upland game, big game, furbearers and varmints have no magazine restriction I am aware of. During the special snow goose season extensions have been allowed.

Back