600 guns in one residence OHH MYY!

YoteSackbuster

Six hundred guns in one residence?
Published: 10/24/2007 12:28

Would any of us want a person with more than 600 firearms in his home living next to us? That is the question raised by Michael P. Sonka of Mundelein, who admits to owning such a large number of guns valued at more than $600,000 by the local police.

Sonka was arrested in mid-September not for owning the guns but for allegedly selling them out of his house after he surrendered his federal firearms license due to a zoning violation. Law enforcement officials charged Sonka, according to Mundelein Mayor Kenneth Kessler, because "there was significant non­compliance with federal and state law, and that's why we acted on this and that's what we should be doing."

The mayor went on to say that police claimed Sonka was running a "major gun selling operation."

I cant speak to the guilt or innocence of Mr. Sonka or the charges filed against him. That will be up to a judge and jury to decide.

However, I am concerned that it is legal, as Mr. Sonka correctly asserts, to own 600 guns and keep them in your house, without any recourse afforded to neighbors who might object.

Clearly, no reasonable concerned citizen should argue about the right to hoard 600 guns when weighed against the issue of public safety posed by such firepower sitting in the middle of residential community. Not only are such a large number of firearms a burglar's dream; they pose multiple potential scenarios under which harm could come to local residents.

Whether or not Mr. Sonka is found guilty of the charges, we should be asking ourselves whether there should be a legal right to possess more than 600 firearms in a residential neighborhood, regardless of whether they are for sale or part of a personal collection.

It doesn't pass the common sense test or the public safety one either

Thomas Mannard

Executive Director

Illinois Council Against

Handgun Violence

Chicago

who cares how many firearms u own...but...if hes selling them (proubly to gangs) then lock his [beeep] up.

Ryan /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Sounds like he had an inventory when he gave up his FFL. What's he supposed to do with them under such circumstances? The author doesn't want him to sell them but is freaked out if he keeps them.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed."
Second Amendment to the US Constitution December 15th 1791

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Quote:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed."
Second Amendment to the US Constitution December 15th 1791

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

You got it Totch!!!! Frankly, I wish all my neighbors had 600 guns. That would be a whole lot better than the liberals that are there now. A gun owner with 600 firearms a threat? Give me a break, you can only shoot one at a time, besides that, how many were antiques? Whats wrong with having 600 guns and maybe only 6 of them are useable? I am a little envious of him, if I had one tenth that I would be a happy camper.

Quote:
Sounds like he had an inventory when he gave up his FFL. What's he supposed to do with them under such circumstances? The author doesn't want him to sell them but is freaked out if he keeps them.

I think that Stu hit the nail square on the head.

Everyone has to remember that we're talking about Illinois, where a lot of politicians believe that no one should possess a firearm unless you are a 'dues paying' crony of the 'Daly Machine'

Most of the laws and attitudes come out of Chicago, and Springfield is just the Capitol in name only...

The Chicago Police Department won't even allow their retired officers to qualify so they can carry a concealed weapon under the Federal Law for retired officers.

Apparently 600 nice guns too. The average value was $1000.

If he was dealing guns illegally, lock his butt up.

The only thing the number of guns he had brings to MY mind is envy.

"It doesn't pass the common sense test or the public safety one either"

And here I thought the test to be applied was the legal/2nd amendment test. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif Silly me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Oh oh, sounds like some of us may be in trouble. Just kidding. (thats for big brother that reads this site). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

As was said earlier, he had inventory when he lost his license so what was he supposed to do with it?
Can't keep it, can't sale it; those are the only two things you can do with inventory. So what is he supposed to do with them? Toss them in the river?

He is supposed to sell his inventory to a licensed FFL dealer. That is if he didn’t sell the guns to himself, which essentially means that he filled out all the transfer paper work and paid the sales taxes for each sale. If he didn’t do that he will be in big trouble with the ATF. When my dad passed away we sold his gun shop inventory to another gun dealer. Two years later the BATF dropped by my step mother’s house and wanted to know where my dad was and what happened to his business. It was no big deal, just a check on dealers, but they did check and they did talk to the purchasing dealer.

Many, many people are hobby gun collectors.

So....what's the problem?

I guess I get a bit fired up about possession of weapons since I had numerous members of the North Vietnamese Army try to take mine away and most of them are extremely deceased. Can one even imagine what the riots in LA would have looked like were there NO civilian possession of the means of self defense?

We certainly don't want to go there. The Nichols Hills suburb here in Oklahoma City passed the hat to arm their patrol officers with sub machine guns! And Oklahoma's law to prevent anyone from aiding and abetting ILLEGAL Immigration has stood the Supreme Court challenge already.

IF we don't pay attention to and obey laws, for what do we need Legislators?

Sam III

nothing in the article posted indicated that he had violated any laws regarding the transfer of these weapons. Look again at the author:

Thomas Mannard

Executive Director

Illinois Council Against

Handgun Violence

Chicago

A panty waisted hand wringing flippy jack who is freaking out over the mere thought that anyone, for any reason, might be in legal possession of a qty of firearms. He said not one word about any laws being violated, but threw out the specter of this person being your neighbor something to live in fear of for the sole reason that he has a bunch of guns in the house.

I maintain that this is not an unreasonable nor unpredictable situation for someone who was a firearms dealer & chose to close up shop. It may well take some time to legally dispose of the inventory & there is no reason he could transfer it to himself personally. Just a lot of paperwork to do so.

Quote:
Apparently 600 nice guns too. The average value was $1000.

I'm guessing the police did not inventory or appraise the firearms. The cost to accomplish that task would cost a fortune and not serve any lawful purpose.

The number 600 is a nice round number. Where in the name of hell could anyone put that many guns?

Imagine storing that many in your own home. In my house, I'd have to eat, sleep and pee in the back yard.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif
Frankie B. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Back