Bobcat - Largest recorded size of a wild bobcat

Scout22

I found several different weights listed as the largest on record. Yellowhammer, I thought maybe you had some information on a possible largest Bobcat on record.

The field guide on Puma's is very interesting.

Thanks for posting all the information. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Scout22

There was one posted here a few years ago shot in Michigan with a 17 HMR. I wish I would have saved the photo. Another was one shot in Texas and posted here. I didn't realize they got that big. Both were way up there.

I thought I had heard of one at the 68lb mark, I would like to see a picture or article about one that big.

Thanks for the responses so far.

When I was a teenager reading Outdoor Life they had a piece about one in Oregon that weighed 63 lbs. I don't think it was the biggest one on record.

The largest bobcat on record was taken in Maine and it was 76lbs. That came right off the Maine F&W website. What a monster!! This was a trapped cat as I found the info under their trapping of furbearers section.

I have seen references to to a 69 pound bobcat as well as the one above.

Pictures of anything over 40 pounds are hard to come by. I don't know what this one weighed, but it a big bobcat.

According to the story I got, this bobcat came out and started gnawing on this deer right after a hunter shot it. He in turn shot the bobcat.
6333email.jpg

Here is a 45 pound cat pictured on Randy Watson's website.

45lbcat.jpg

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/varmint_masters.html

The Wisconsin record is almost 49 pounds.

https://www.uwsp.edu/wildlife/carnivore/Bobcat%20Natural%20History_files/huge%20bobcat.bmp
https://www.uwsp.edu/wildlife/carnivore/...l%20History.htm

Last edited:
My dad shot a 55 pounder a couple years ago. He has it mounted up on it's back legs snagging a chukar out of the air, pretty cool. I'll have to measure it to see how long and big around it is.

Quote:
My dad shot a 55 pounder a couple years ago. He has it mounted up on it's back legs snagging a chukar out of the air, pretty cool. I'll have to measure it to see how long and big around it is.

I wouldnt think a cat that big would be able to leap /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Be more like Garfield and just lay there and eat!!!
Someone said something about a 69 lbr! Good lord...thats bigger than most domestic dogs!

man every time i see a cat i think it is way sweet looking but to be honest i dont have a clue what i required to shoot them in utah so i have not even tried.

Quote:
Dang, that cat by the deer pic, that is a whooper!

Here is the story behind that pic... I have three more pic with the story if ya'll want to see them?

Good Morning,

I just wanted to share with you an amazing end to a great 2007 hunting season. Yesterday I was sitting in my stand on a small food plot just off Colly Swamp in Bladen County. I was enjoying a beautiful sunset and hoping that I might get one more opportunity at a doe to take to the butcher for processing. Then I spotted some movement in a corner of the food plot that was partially blocked from my view by some trees. I was able to tell that a mature doe with two button bucks entered the food plot but I did not think that they would move into an open area for a shot before dark. Suddenly all three deer became alarmed and began looking toward the woods where they had entered the field. The doe then blew at whatever was approaching and turned and bounded into the middle of the field followed by the two smaller deer. Well this gave me a clear line of sight at the doe so I put my crosshairs on her. I started to squeeze the trigger but then I began to wonder if it could be a big Buck that was making the deer nervous. Then the three deer all blew and ran a little further across the food plot, stopped again and looked back on full alert. Well I decided that it was most likely not a buck that had them startled so I shot the doe. When I shot, the two button bucks ran away while simultaneously a 20 pound bobcat ran into the field and put the death lock on the neck of the doe I had just shot. Amazed by what I had just seen, I shucked another (also my last) shell into the chamber. I could not believe that the bobcat was still there after the sound of the shot and me reloading but he had locked onto a big meal and did not intend to give it up. I put the cat in the crosshairs and squeezed off my last round, he did not flinch. I thought I had missed him. I sat still for a little while and then I yelled at the cat to see if he was still alive, I got not reaction. I climbed down from my stand and approached the two animals in the field. The Bobcat still had a death grip on the doe and was looking right at me as I approached, with an empty gun. What I saw amazed me. The Bobcat was stone cold dead but he still maintained his grip on the doe. I called everyone at camp to come look and take pictures. When it was time to load the doe in the truck we had to load both the doe and the bobcat because I could not separate them. Attached are some pictures of this amazing event. I hope you all have a safe, successful 2008.

Have a great day!

John Clark

Back