Kemmerer, WY??

Rustydog

I have an opportunity to be in Kemmerer, Wyoming later this winter and am wondering if there is any Public/BLM land available to hunt coyotes. I might take my "callin' stuff" if there is a possibility of doing some hunting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I am not asking for someone's "honey hole", just curious if there is a chance I'll find some land to hunt. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Thanks!

Rustydog

I've been through Kemmerer a few times on our trips to the Wind River range, last time I was through there was probably 7-8 years ago. Didn't do any calling, just some plinking around there but it appears to be a lot of open land. Saw a bunch of Pronghorn around there too.

Tons of land and access but I spent a lot of time looking for coyotes around Kemmerer to no avail. Besides not finding any sign the wind will blow you right back to Oreagon. But, if you are looking to shoot some PD's its a honey hole. The closest place I've had any luck is the BLM land just outside of Evanston heading towards Monte Cristo(Utah/Wyoming border). Good luck and I'd be curious to hear how you did!

Rusty, a De Lorme map will show you that there's a lot of Public/BLM land around there. As for coyotes, you already know that "they're where you find them". They're there, all right, as indicated by the RK in the area. But they probably are pressured a lot by locals and the close proximity to Utah.

(edit) Those maps are handy for finding little dirt roads that take you back into the hills and canyons. The further away from paved roads you are, the less spooky the coyotes are.

Last edited:
I hunt that area a lot on "other critters". In all the years I have seen 1 yote. They are there but every yahoo from Utah hunts the area in their 4x4's shooting out the windows. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif If you go , it would be worth the try, if nothing else you'll see a lot of deer and speed goats.

I got bored while hunting antelope up by Cokeville a couple of yrs ago and called and shot 2. I don't think Cokeville is very far from there. So it would definitely be worth a try.

When are you headed there, travel may be tough late in the winter, you may need a snow machine, or at least a four wheeler to get very far from the traveled roads. Tons of country to hunt!

You will find them there I have family that lives near Kemmerer and have for a long time. 30+ years in fact. I have taken several trips over there myself and there are a lot of dogs to be had. I have noticed though that if the wind is blowing much at all my success rates were way down. The 2 times that I have been to Wyo. and had little to no wind I put some fur down. It will be very cold in the winter there and a snow machine or a 4 wheeler will be VERY beneficial. Good luck.

I have shot several coyotes around kemmerer, never called one in but have shot a bunch and missed a bunch from the truck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif They are definately there, the country is perfect calling country. You should be able to find plenty of coyotes close to there. Good luck, keep us posted
Aaron /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I just left Kemmerer and the wind was down for a change it was 33 when I left and 24 F when I got home the one thing about hunting there is there is a lot of sheep and the coyotes get gunned up pretty good from the air.....JC.........

Hey Rusty D. Shoot me a pm when you get a firm date and maybe we could get to gether for a hunt........JC......

Back