.17 PPC vs. .17 Javelina

sscoyote

Anybody got any ideas which is better (accuracy, velocity). Seems like the PPC-based oughtta be easier to form. All comments welcome.

sscoyote,

I don't have any experience with either one, but had Dan Carey do a barrel for my AR, in 17-223. It shoots little tiny groups, I think there are pictures on one of my previous posts. Cases are simple to make just run a 223 case into die and done, I bought my Hornady dies through Lock, Stock, and Barrel for $49.95, and they work great. Just something to think about vs. the other chamberings you asked about. Target pic is titled New Arrival - Target pics +.

BoomSplat

Last edited:
The PPC has a lot more capacity. So it will obviously be way ahead on velocity.

Accuracy wise... I'd guess it might be easier to get the Javelina tuned, simply because it's a more balanced expansion ratio. But, with a little tuning, I know that .17's on the PPC case can be very, VERY accurate. Certainly the brass can't be beat. And then too, I shoot a .17 wildcat that has only slightly less capacity than the PPC and it's super accurate. Really, I think it would come down more to individual luck of the draw on barrels and 'smithing quality than the cartridges. Either can/will produce outstanding accuracy.

One of my buddies (that you know too, I think - Blaine E.) uses a shortened .17 PPC and it's just plain hell-on-wheels. He's also got a shortened .17 BR that is closer in capacity to the full length PPC. It's real accurate too, but was a bit more finicky to tune than the shortened PPC.

- DAA

Back