OK....home made brass catcher 101 w/pics

spiderman

Here's the scoop on how I made a brass catcher for my AR from a Hogdeon powder canister. First off , please no one cut themselves doing this , thank you very much.
I took an empty powder container and cut it in half , length wise. I have a band saw but a utility knife will work. This makes two, or one to screw up and one to turn out. Lay the half on the ejection side of your rifle and see how well it fits and the open end of the container allows for the forward assist .
Next you need to cut the side out for your brass to pass through. I made mine as large as I could without making the catcher too weak. I left about an inch along the top and three fourths of and inch along the bottom. You are now about half done.
Now take a piece of the material removed to make your hole and cut it 2" by 3" . This is needed to hold the "sock" open that will be holding the brass. I found that without this piece in place that the weight of the brass will hold the opening closed and the brass can't drop to the bottom and you will get a jam.
This piece is stapled (with normal home stapler) to the top of the opening (see pic) extending at a right angle out to hold the sock open.
I then took a drill and make holes at the top and bottom of each end of the container and passed a copper wire (12 gauge) through and crimped at the bottom . This is how you will hang the catcher from your gun or scope. Bend as needed to fit your particular situation. I HIGHLY SUGGEST USING SOME KIND OF TAPE TO PROTECT FINISHS AT HANING POINTS. Just a disclaimer so someone doesn't mar something and curse me.
Now take one of your best socks (no holes) , roomy is better than not (panty hose if you are a prolific shooter or bad shot) and staple it to the opening in the catcher . Regular stapler will work but be sure to crimp all staples to make a good product and have no sharps . Start stapling with one at the top , then the bottom , then the sides , and then fill in the rest to make an opening that stands open well.
Cheap , doesn't take long ,saves scrounging in the grass ,and you did it yourself and recycled an old container.....it's a good thing....SM
Marie-Antoinettelocationcondo004.jpg

Marie-Antoinettelocationcondo001.jpg

Marie-Antoinettelocationcondo005.jpg

Marie-Antoinettelocationcondo002.jpg

Marie-Antoinettelocationcondo003.jpg

Marie-Antoinettelocationcondo006.jpg

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Looks like it should work. It might be the camera playing with colors, but if that sock is really that blue, I would look to switch it out with something black or grey. Blue is the one color in the spectrum that coyotes can see. Go into the biology section and do a search, there's some links posted around a year ago. (Assuming you use that rifle for calling coyotes)

I am using some of my odd-ball brass to hunt with....so if it gets into the grass or snow I am not going to worry. Mostly for target shooting and causual shooting. A cotton sock would be the best as some of the brass "sticks" to some of the fabric in this particular sock. The pics are showing the sock tucked in but that is just for the pics......it should be used like in the last photo. I put the heel of the sock at the top and used the natural shape to direct the brass down and make it lay properly. SM

Just a couple of suggestions on your brass catcher.
They make a black urethane dip for tool handles that would make the wires less likely to scratch the scope, and it would look better than tape. How about some matching camo tape for the powder bottle and maybe a camo sock too. It's a pretty clever idea overall.

Nice rifle by the way. How do you like the RRA NM trigger after Mike worked it over? I sure like what he did for mine.

How do you like the RRA NM trigger after Mike worked it over? I sure like what he did for mine.

I realy like my trigger. I wanted it lighter than the way he sent it to me and after a fouled attempt to do it myself , he fixed it and it is very light now but with good feel. Everyone , don't try to mess with AR triggers unless you are a real wizzard , and a good wizzard . SM /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Pretty cool design and thought process went into that bad boy.Is that think a bit cumbersome in the field? I had my wife sew up a catcher with some velcro attachments and it works really well. Although I like the enginuity of your design you'll have to let me know if it gets in the way at all during the walks in and on the stands.

Spiderman, I've been curious, what is the "hydralic suppressor " you speak of in your sig? I'm going to be getting a dtech, hopefully soon, and would like some more info please?

jeez..........
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gifcouldn't you have used a CAMO sock???? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I do admire your ingenuity!

Spiderman, I've been curious, what is the "hydralic suppressor " you speak of in your sig? I'm going to be getting a dtech, hopefully soon, and would like some more info please?

The suppessor works great. It realy smooths out recoil and removes most all of the sproing. The recoil feels very quick and sharp more like a bolt gun than feeling the usual travel of the bolt . It is hard to define in words , but makes a difference . I bought the weighted system and tried it with the hydralic suppessor in place...they seem to want to do the same job and together there is not as much change in felt recoil....it doesn't double the reduction.......this is clear as mud but hard to put in words. I think I might just shoot it with the suppressor and Tubb recoil spring and see if it is just as well. The weighted system requires you to pull both pins to take the gun down and I like to pull the one and break it in two for cleaning. The heavier spring does pre-compress the suppressor by about 1/3 to start with because of it extra strength but still works well. SM

Back