Decoy dog pics- attn. Mike G.

Well Mike here is how I heard it with the decoy dog deal and Merv. Chris McAllister got Merv his first dogs as I heard it along with one of our other guys Huber or Sterling Sr. not sure though, could have been someone else.I havn't heard of the James name with curs. Doesn't mean anything more than I just havn't heard of it.

If I have my facts straight, the dogs like yours etc. are from more of a Kemmer bloodline and mine comes from the original bloodline. Sterling Jr. was trying to explain it to me oneday but i don't remember for sure how it went but I believe the Kemmer are more sleek with a narrower head and the original are a broader head thicker cur.

I know the other trapper here in town has a Kemmer , about the same age and there is a big difference in size and disposition. I don't let my dogs around other dogs to play, I don't want them to get their guard down when thrown in with coyotes. When they get to run it's the real deal. This may be why my dogs all of them have never been seriously hurt. Porcupines have done more to them than coyotes.

Mike just the amount of traveling the dogs do, rattlesnakes, traffic, heat, etc. You always need a backup in this line of work. Some will just quit workin one day to or will only work with another dog.

Yeti I am not sure why ya cant see them, maybe someone with a little more computer skill than I can help. It was a challenge for me to post them!!!

Vargy,

It's genetic with me, my grandpa had over 50 coondogs when he died. I may be hopeless... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Randy,

That's what Dave said. I'll have a lot of explaining to do when I bring home another dog! Any suggestions. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Explain the danger of only runnin one dog, Bubba may get hurt, the extra dough from puppies, that won't work!!

Buy her something she always has wanted , take her somewhere she has always wanted to go, compliment her on her figure and how she just keeps looking better as the years go on.

Just remember if momma ain't happy, nobody else will be happy!!!!

I've got it easy, I need them for work!!! LOL

IMG_0215.jpg

This should be a pic of my Catahoulla pups,and a Macnab pup fighting a coyote,If,I did it right.
All the dog pics are making me try to figure this out so I can show my boys.LOL. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Last edited:
Now that I got that figured out there will be lots of pics to follow.As for how many dogs a guy "needs" I have 5 cat hounds,4 coyote decoy dogs,2 cow dogs.They all have a job,and my wife has 4 horses so the dog deal is easy .I can handle all my dogs for what it cost her to feed 2 of her horses.She realy loves hunting with the dogs though.I took her calling the other night and took 2 pups.They brought a coyote to 6 feet and she "FREAKED" afterwards she said that was the best thing ever.One of my favorite things in life is showing someone a decoy dog work for the first time.

Randy and Mike,

sent Merv an email. I'll get the scoop for you on his dogs. I know Annie is getting on in years now. I am sure he is busy with guiding right now, but I'll let you know.

Ok Mike etc. I just got of the phone with Chris, he said he got the original white curs out of KY in 94 and in 96 had a litter of 12 pups and thats when merv got two from him. Chris had the original Annie dog. The other pups were spread in many of the surrounding states.

Yes I use the Macnab to decoy coyotes,but only with another dog or dogs.Jackass has good eyes,lots of teeth and good control.But no range and no nose.He decoys well though because he runs out, barks and runs right back to me.I have the advantage of owning many dogs so I can hunt them and see what combos work best.I have decoyed coyotes for almost ten years with stock dogs.They lack on some points,but the fact that the control is so good makes up for the weakness.
The best decoy dog I have right now is a Blue heeler,he has decoyed a few hundred coyotes in the past 7 yrs.If you look back in the thread,the black dog is an 8mnth old Catahoulla,and the spotted dog is a full brother to him.The black and white is my Macnab "Jackass".The Catahoullas,have ,nose and range,and control.They will be my number one decoy dogs once they are finished.As of now they have only decoyed a dozen or so yotes,blood trailed two Mule deer,and recovered or bayed 20 some badgers.I have a long ways to go to get them finished,but I know they will be super.

Back