Simple homemade live crow trap **pics**

camman133

Here is a simple live crow trap you can build at home, this would also be great if ya wanted to have fun with a new form of skeet shooting, release a crow, "PULL", BOOM! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

crowtrap2.gif

crowtrap1.gif

The trap operates when the crows land on the top of the trap and finally decide to drop through one of the slots on the top, which they can do easily. However, while attempting to fly out, their wings prevent them from exiting the same slot. Crows stuck inside the trap will act as a lure to other crows. The trap needs to be checked daily, since eventually these intelligent birds will think their way to freedom. Bait like chicken and rabbit work great!

****thanks to crowbusters for this****

I love it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I'm going to build one of those.

Trust me, we had 10 crows in it one time. They just can't resist the cry from the other crows. But I do notice that the pic of the trap he posted is a little different from ours. The opening where the crows come in is in our trap completly open. A crow can't fly vertical in the air when he takes off but when the trap has some sticks in the opening (like on the pic) he can use them to climb out. We also use stuff that glides like plastic pipes on the edges of the opening. That way, their claws can't get a hold

Neat trap!
The one thing I'd be careful of, is the legality of trapping crows. Since they've been included in a Migratory Bird Treaty, they've been regulated by the Feds. That's why we have seasons on crows, and they're not listed as unprotected species anymore. I'd check with your state's game commission before I just started trapping crows willy nilly.

Personally, I think the more crows that are trapped and used for good, healthy shotgun practice, the better. Some game warden might disagree, though. Better safe than sorry, guys.
F1

What do you guy's do with all the crows after they have been caught in the trap? Do you release them from the trap all at once, then shoot?

Scott

I do two things:
I either enter the trap with my gloves on and close the door. I catch them and beat them dead against the poles.
Or I either take my dog and let him into the trap with the door closed. That's the most effective way

If you release them and try to shoot them. There will be a few you won't hit. Everyone misses so if you miss one, you'll never catch it again.

I´ve seen sometimes the use of a live chicken and som food for the same and when the crows see him walking around in there eating they sure want a taste of it too...

///Fredrik /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

We don't use chickens to lure them in. I don't think it's allowed here. But we do use leftovers like bread, meat and vegetables. You're going to be surprised by the amount of crows you can catch in it. One year, we caught 234 crows using 4 traps.

That's sure an interesting way of getting your crow limit. I don't think it's legal here in NY, but I would build a trap if it was.

Scott12

Back