CZ 527 varmit or Savage model 10 predator

bucksnort06

It now down to the wire and I have to choose between the two. Any opinions. They both look awesome and the prices are about the same. I think I decided on the .204 ruger but can't decide on a gun. Right now I'm leaning towards the predator because of the camo. Any opinions/advice? Thanks.

a few months ago I was thinking about these two guns also. I ended up with the CZ. Not that I didnt like the Savage. I own a Savage rifle, and they are fine, I just didnt like the fact that the Predator doesnt have a removeable magazine. For me, that was a deal breaker. BTW, the CZ is a shooter. You can always camo it yourself with a little spraypaint. I think you will like the 204.

I have both (not the varmint models but the standard) and I don't like the reverse acting safety and hang down clip on the CZ . However,the CZ is very accurate . The Savage has a ton of good features and there are lots of aftermarket parts for it .Both are great but I lean toward the Savage.

I have a cz 204 in the sporter and the savage predator in 223 I like the savage the best.It has a nice over sized bolt that works good with gloves,plus the weight to lenght ratio is great. I will say the cz does not like the 40gr bullets.However 32 and the 45 are under .5 of an inch. The savage likes every thing I feed to to it. I hope this helps. 1eyedjack.

I also have a Savage in .204 that is a very good shooter and I love AccuTrigger, but the gun is heavy compared to the CZ and does not have a removable clip. Where I hunt we move from stand to stand on public roads that are patrolled by all sorts of LEOs and it is a real pain in the butt having to unload the Savage magazine every time I move. I have a CZ 527 American in .223 with a beautiful walnut stock and will pick up the same rifle in .204 on 10/17/07 with a very nice brown laminate stock. BTW, I also have a Savage .17 HMR that is light weight and does have a removable clip and is very accurate. Both companies make very good and affordable firearms.

SteveH

I think the removable clip might be a deal breaker as well for me just because I'm constantly moving from stand to stand on public land. I still like the savage's accutrigger better as well as the 22" barrel, camo, safety position better. How's the wood on the CZ 527. I still haven't handled this gun yet. Nobody here carries it. I'm going to have to order either gun I decide on that's why my decision is even tougher. I have other savages and have a good idea how they feel.

The CZ wood and workmanship are beautiful. Google CZ-USA and take a look at the stock options. My .223 is very nice walnut and the .204 is a brown laminate. The also have what they call Spring and Summer camo that look like they belong in a gay bar. Not camo at all, but a multi-color laminate. They test fire every rifle before it is shipped and included a target with a three-shot group under a half inch for my .223. I have no idea what the test distance was, but would guess it was 100 meters.

SteveH

I was in the same position because I liked the .204 but was stuck between Savage & CZ. Because of the trigger and safety I decided I did not want to own both and should own all of one or all of the other. After months of deliberation I caught a bad case of BRD and spent all my savings an AR. (.204 still on my mind)

Good Luck

Quote:
The CZ wood and workmanship are beautiful. Google CZ-USA and take a look at the stock options. My .223 is very nice walnut and the .204 is a brown laminate.

The CZ 527 American (including a .204 chambering, like my own) is in the walnut. The CZ 527 American Laminate is also available in .204.

Quote:
They test fire every rifle before it is shipped and included a target with a three-shot group under a half inch for my .223. I have no idea what the test distance was, but would guess it was 100 meters.

Its 50 meters (nearly 55 yd). Kind of an odd distance.

I built my own Savage, I bought a 243 savage clip gun for $350 put a Savage 243 stainless flutted barrel on that I had laying around and camoed it up, so now I have a camo Savage 243 with a clip, I also have a 22-250, 223 and 270 wsm barrels for it.
1011071019a.jpg

1011071018.jpg

1011071019.jpg

Are savage barrels interchangeable? That's what it sounds like. I did not know that. I would buy a savage in a heartbeat if their barrels can be swapped out like a T/C.

They are interchangeable, but not quite so easily as the TC. And, of course, you have to have the proper bolt head (.223 size for .204 Ruger, .223 Rem., .243 size for .22-250, .220 Swift, .257 Roberts, etc.) You also need a barrel nut wrench, a barrel vise, a headspace guage, or suitable case to use as a headspace guage and the appropriate box magazine.

It's not quite like pulling the forend off and screwing in a different barrel.

CZ all the way looks beautiful and shoots the same!!!!

some people have a problem with the way the mag hangs down but it really doesn't bother me. I love the detachable mag!! The set trigger is wonderful!!!

CZ all the way!!

kyle

I think kyle likes the CZ. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Btw, thats a good looking rig, Yotebeware.

Looked at both of them tonight. Not sure which one i would go with. I like them both. Might have to flip a coin or buy both. Might have to sleep in my truck after that but i would have two sweet guns.

I got the Predator hunter 22-250. I've hunted using a Encore for years so mag doesn't mean anything to me. I carry different loads for different ranges and game. So I expect to reload at anytime.
DEFCON

bucksnort,

I hemmed and hawed on the same choice making issue about a month ago, only in .223.

I initially bought the Savage, and just a day later found that the rate of twist on it was all wrong for what I needed (1 in 9).........so, back it went.
Thank God my dealer is a friend of mine.

Next up was a Remington SPS in .223 also.......bought it, brought it home, adjusted up the trigger pull, cleaned it all up, mounted a 6X24 scope on it for load work, and out to my range I went.

No matter what handloads I tried in that gun, it shot like garbage....totally crap. The best I could get out of it was around 2 inches......nope, wasn't the scope either, as I tried 2 other proven scopes. Everything was checked & double checked prior to taking THAT one back as well.

The gun was spraying bullets, and a given string of 50g'rs all hit keyholed. I figured that the rifling was cut with a chainsaw, but when I saw the keyholing, and got it back to the dealer's, where he shot it (same result), we both came up with the conclusion that the rifling was cut too shallow, possibly.

I've loved Remington & Ruger rifles most of my life, and at 50, it's been quite a few years of messin with them. Since Remington has been bought up by Cerberus Capitol (who also bought up Bushmaster), I kind of wonder if they aren't punching out a cheaper product for the same money, or the quality control has dropped....who knows.

I know my dealer hates the way Remington Rep's brag about how good their product is, and how little their return rate is......he was happy to send this gun back and easily gave me what I paid for it.

Anyway......both he, and one of my other good friends (we all know each other) have tried to press me into buying a CZ........maybe this all was a omen, but I finally broke down and did it.....
A CZ 527 American in .223........

After getting it home and going through the same tear down, cleaning, and setup ritual, including the scope mounting and all, I finally headed out back to my range behind the house. My first handloads using W748 and the 50gr. VMax's didn't really give me the "high & happies", so I headed back down to the shop to load a different recipe.

I had grabbed a can of AA2015 to try as my one Lyman manual showed it to be a pretty good powder, both on pressure, and velocity. I grabbed a middle velocity load of 24.0grs. (in that same manual), and I loaded another 10 to shoot.

I cleaned the gun back up and went out to shoot them. It was windy and I didn't expect miracles, but man.....the first four rounds when into a cluster of just over a quarter inch.....the fifth round went slighty downwind about a bullets width.
On the next group of 5 rounds, it was almost a carbon copy....

Man was I suprised, and on a lightweight sporter to boot. ( I looked on the can of powder and it was also made in Czechoslovakia.....maybe they know something we don't /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif....LOL.

Not that other guns couldn't shoot the same, but considering the overall package, the "beautiful wood", the mini Mauser action, the set trigger, high luster bluing, and all the other little "bells & whistles", I'm sold on the CZ's. And, considering that they sell a Varmint/Bench type setup in .22-250, I'm seriously considering buying a new setup in a CZ that I might replace my Mod. 700 VSSF with.

Love that trigger........very cool /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif.

Take care,
Bob

Back