killing trapped animals

bwhntr

i was wondering how most of you kill the animals in your trap do you shoot them or what how do you not damage the fur

I usually try to put one good shot into the brain area. Ive been told to try and shoot through the ear hole but im not the kinda of shooter to pull that off. Hope that helps.

yote tote is right on with .22 short--- shoot em in the eye and try to get an angle so the bullet goes into the neck/throat area and there's no hide damage at all
I trap a lot of bobcats here in colorado and it's cage traps only on public ground. Best thing for them is a syring on a pole w/acetone or other good gunk---no cage damage from bullets when you'd miss

I trap a lot of bobcats here in colorado and it's cage traps only on public ground. Best thing for them is a syring on a pole w/acetone or other good gunk---no cage damage from bullets when you'd miss

Is that a legal dispatch method?

Everyone needs to be sure they check there own states regulations if they are going to use any toxicants or drugs. In Colo. it's legal only with PERMITS issued by the DOW or Colorado.

olyote, Welcome to Predator Masters

olyote,you need not do anything.If you don't want any holes,carry a 4' peice of copper pipe with a brass elbo soldered on one end and smack them over the noggin with it.

[Or is it really a problem on the head?]

None!..No headachs,thoughts of mating,or where to catch the next bunny.

My experience about shootin coyotes in the head is that they bleed alot when they're hung up to skin.
My best choice is in the lungs and heart. Use a 22 short the bullet won't come out and he's gone is just a short while. If you don't won't to stand there for that short while just go and check another trap and come back to the just shot one he will be expired.

Ok...So I don't envision myself smacking any Bobcats over the head, as with my luck I would just knock it out and have it wake up at the most inopportune moment. So wherever I shoot it do I need to be concerned about a .22 sized hole? And as far as the shoot into the eye/ear thing, I'm curious about the range your shooting from to achieve proper placement.

Tactical.20,I,ve dispatched a bunch of animals with the pipe and elbo on the end.It's just as quick and lethal as any gun...Whats quicker for you and whats your method?

olyote,I use what i call a hog snatcher for bobcats.There very easy to turn loose or dispatch.Here in Pa,i have to turn them loose...If you are going to get the cat mounted,let the taxidermist worry about the small hole.As far as selling the fur,it shouldn't effect the price,unless you got a picky buyer.

Michael H,I've tried that and its a slow death.I'll do it no more.My animals are killed humanely and quick.

Michael H,I've tried that and its a slow death.I'll do it no more.

I find that statement funny, I started out shooting my yotes in the head and had a mess, then a friend of mine told me to shoot them in the chest, they drop like a rock, but I am also using hollow pointed LR. not shorts, I use shorts on coons and possums in the chest now. I like the idea of little blood to clean out of the fur.

as for the bullet hole, once the hide is turned out like it should be a good combing will hide the hole /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

One final thing yote-tote, you post about the pipe isn't in the best of interest to trapping or trappers. and if you don't think the anti's are lurking here, your wrong and they have done copied and posted you reply on their site somewhere, just to make us look like the Barbarians they say we are, with that I thank you for making all trappers look bad. Please think before you type the next time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif.

Ticked you off uh,Jeff Erwin? I got a friend who takes between 90/125 coyotes "plus fox,coon,and bobcats" a year and used your method and quit doing it for the same reason i did...[Drop like a rock,shot behind the shoulder with a 22 long rifle.] Fella,you may have some believe you,but most would find out how wrong you are,if they tried it.

At least,Michael H is telling the truth about the short,but the same thing can be said with any 22 long rifle.The drop like a rock,is best done with a head shot,using a 22.

"The elbo"with one crack,is quicker killing than your method.I only used a pipe and elbo a few times,years ago,when times were hard and no money for a gun.Maybe before you were even born,and[most anti's too.]I now carry a S&W 22.to dspatch my critters with.

I can't help myself, I gotta jump in here.

Remember, we're trapping an animal for the sole purpose of taking it's hide. There is absolutely no way any "humaniac" is going to like the end product, of which, the animal has to be dead! How quickly, and humanely, we dispatch the animal really isn't the battle. Keeping our ability to trap is.

Whether we shoot an animal or hit it in the head with a pipe, they'll use the fact that the animal died against us. Thinking that one way of dispatching an animal is "more pallatable" than another, to appease the humaniac's, is a fools game. They want our traps, then our bows, and finally our guns. It's that simple.

Good post Mike.

A quick kill is usually humane kill.

I hard crack to the head, or a bullet to the head is definately quicker than a .22 to the lungs (on larger animals at least).

I use the lung shot on skunks since they are less likely to spray in my experience with lung shot than a head shot. Sometimes they spray no matter what.

I don't like watching something take several minutes to die, but that is just me.

I found that a .22 short to the head was the best method for me. The hole is of no consequence, as they don't use the head anyway.

I personally don't like knocking them in the head because I found it makes it much messier to skin out the crushed head than the .22

Trying to skin a coon or something that has had his head pulped is too messy and takes extra time for me, but I am sure he died just as quick as the he would have with a shot to the head if done right..

Quote:
I'm curious about the range your shooting from to achieve proper placement.

If they are in a trap, you should be able to get within a few feet or less.

Last edited:
Guys we should try to keep dispatch methods to PM only. But seeing how we've already posted everything imaginable, I'll not practice what I preach and give my comments.

The 22CB/Short to the head is probably the most widely used and (somewhat)accepted by the anti's so I'll back that for sure.
But I will point out that nothing is more humane to a fox than the skull impact but it is not something acceptable to most people. I don't do this any longer because I have heard the comments raised by anti's on this type of dispatch and it will give them power against us.
A catch pole like bwhntr mentioned is the most humane dispatch I've seen to a bobcat but it doesn't work as effectively on other animals and is not accepted by most. But this is my preferred method on a bobcat.

Last edited:
trapwv-your first sentence in your post should have been the last in this post. Well said, it's like we continue to give more bullets and guns to the enemy.

Back