What does a Coyote Den Look Like?

dhayes

Do they dig holes in the ground? or not?

Anyone have Pics of a coyote or fox den?

In recent hunts I have found holes dug in where animals are obviously living or have lived there in the past, I'm talking about a hole maybe 12 inches in diameter or a little larger(about as big around as a soccer ball? What type of animal makes these holes?

Thanks
Dave

We have them too. They are "community" dens for coyote, groundhog, badger.....even skunk. The question is what dug the hole and what was in it last.

I have a toy poodle that hunts squirrel with me and loves to do holes. Most holes he will back out of because it's too narrow. However, the holes he disappears into and comes out head first are the coyote dens. He wont go in if he smells a coyote in there....at least I hope not /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The coyote dens, I've found. Were mostly taller than they were wide. Unlike Red Fox dens, which are pretty round. Coyote dens around here are roughly 9-11" wide x 11-14" high. I've also seen semi-lunar coyote den holes[specifically under abandoned buildings] .

Generally they[coyotes & Reds] quit useing den's by Fall. Otherwise, they will use them when pressured[hunted], harsh weather or wounded.

dhayes,

Also, a Red Fox or coyote can/will use a road culvert for protection & or to birth/rear pups. Very adaptable /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Coyotes use dens until about the mid of July, once the pup's get some size and are Mobil dens use pretty much stops. They will lay up in cover sunflowers,corn, tall grass by secluded dams, drain culverts etc. Coyote dens for the most part are taller than wider and they do clean outs in the spring, then the [beeep] will decide where to have those pup's.They have play grounds by the holes, tracks droppings,bones can be seen and heavy trails leading to cover and water indicate a pup play ground. Not near as messy as fox though.
The majority will be born and raised in more out of the way areas and if you bump them with human scent they will move those pup's in a heart beat. Those with mange as the weather turns cold will use a hole or other dense cover to protect themselves from wind and cold, bale stacks, culverts and other areas that will offer protection. The majority will use terrain and cover only as a source of concealment.

Sometimes, a Red will dig upwards. Making inverted funnel. I've stepped[ground caved in, below my foot] on a few of these over the yrs. I call those, "vent holes". Generally over/near the den chamber. One den hole, I found a couple of them on the surface. These vent holes were around an inch in diameter on the surface & hidden in the grass.

The little Red's in the above pic. Used that den [during daylight], up until late Fall. That den was on the high bank ditch along a gravel roadway. Those pups were still pretty young @ the time, a late litter.

Reds around my area, often den in the ditch's. Rarely, do they den out in the open rolling hills anymore. Coyotes in the area.

Back