.22-250 Barnes tsx works on deer.

mrtoadzwildride

With all the banter that I read on these forums about using a .22-250 on deer I thought I would form my own opinion. It worked very well with a few problems. Yes, it did make deer fall DRT however I am certain after looking at the wounds and minimal damage it caused, that anything short of optimal shot placement would have led to a painful death for the animal. It also has a much more limited range on deer sized animals than does my .270 (which I normally use on deer.) Last but not least, if I were hunting anything other than high desert country where my bullet may have touched anything during flight, it would have caused significant problems.

Yes, the .22-250 worked well for me in optimal conditions with surgical shot placement. However, next year I want something that hits a little harder and will certainly leave room for outside factors. Such as wind, rain, and vegetation.

My conclusion is yes the .22-250 works on deer and it works well. There are too many uncontrollable factors involved in the success rate you will have with a .22-250 for me to do it comfortably. So, I will be using a larger caliber again next year.

So with the exact rig you used and with the penetration and expansion you encountered, how far would you say your specific combo is lethal to?

I was considering using my 22-250 to take a doe this year. Shots won't be over 150yds, most likely inside 100. I don't reload so can anyone reccomend a factory bullet/shell that I can use? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Beagler, Federal offers a 60 grain Nosler Partition in 22/250. Not sure if the 60 grain PT will stabilize in your rifle depending on the twist of the barrel. I don't think its offered anymore, but Federal used to have a 55 grain Trophy Bonded bullet in 22/250. I used this particular bullet on deer several times and it penetrated and performed very well.

I shot one 4x4 mulie that was quartering away. Penetration through both sides. Never recovered the bullet. As for distance, I wouldn't consider a shot over 200yds. All four deer were pass through shots and I never found a bullet. The one shot that clipped part of the shoulder held together nicely and didn't fragment or cause much blood shot. I was using my .22-250 Rem 700 LVSF with 53gr barnes x, 35.8gr varget, nosler cases, cci LR primer, 2.325 oal.

Thanks Lonny /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif. Like I said I don't reload so am looking for a factory shell. I'm shooting a Savage 12fv. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Back