Best camo for the open prairie?

SDCoyoteCaller

OK guys, I need some help picking out some new camo. It is time to upgrade. I don't think and can put anymore patches on my current pair of bibs.

I live in South Dakota and hunt in a variety of terran including open prairie, rolling hills, and rough Missouri river breaks. The majority of the time I setup with a yucca plant, cedar tree, fence post, or grassy hill behind me to break up my form. The typical dark patterns like mossy oak breakup or some of the other popular patterns aren't going to work in my environment.

The camo I am considering is either natural gear, mossy oak brush, or advantage max-1. I am leaning more towards the natural gear or mossy oak brush with a little more emphasis on natural gear. My concern with the mossy oak brush camo is it seems a little cluttered to me and would maybe go dark at longer distances. I have no experience with it though, so would like to hear everyone's experiences on the effectiveness of the mossy oak brush camo. I think it would work well where I hunt.

On the other hand, I have always liked the natural gear camo and the science behind it seems to make sense to me. I think it would also work great.

So, which one would you guys choose for my particular circumstance? I want to hear all your opinions and experiences. Thanks.

Prairie Ghost...at least it works wonders on the sage grass lands of Colorado. You just disappear and don't get dark like mossy oak even at a diatance.

I second Prairie Ghost. I used this pattern in Washington State, out in the open, ridges, pasture fence lines, and along Snake & Touchet rivers. I used this same pattern in N/W Texas and S/W Oklahoma prairies...same conditions. I had a friend take a picture of me with a hunting buddy wearing Mossy Oak Brush. I will keep looking for the picture to post. Both camos were good and blended in well with the prairie backgound/fence line. We hunted together in the open and woods. The other hunting partners wearing other patterns stood were easy to locate.

I second Prairie Ghost. I used this pattern in Washington State, out in the open, ridges, pasture fence lines, and along Snake & Touchet rivers. I used this same pattern in N/W Texas and S/W Oklahoma prairies...same conditions. I had a friend take a picture of me with a hunting buddy wearing Mossy Oak Brush. I will keep looking for the picture to post. Both camos were good and blended in well with the prairie backgound/fence line. We hunted together in the open and woods. The other hunting partners wearing other patterns stood out and were easy to locate.

Thanks for the advice on Prairie Ghost guys. That was one I really liked as well, but from the sounds of it the company has gone out of business. There has been a couple of other posts on here recently discussing that. It is very frustrating because they had a great camo line going. I guess I waited to long to update my camo and missed out on this one. Thanks.

Well worn Carharts! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Just a shame they don't make something waterproof.

Personally, for the rolling hills of Kansas (I'm assuming S.D. isn't that much different) I like MO Brush. Yes, I occasionally get busted. But it's more from my movement than anything else. In quite a bit of the pastures I hunt, there isn't much to help break up my outline. So, even though I don't like it, I set up out in the open/in tall grass a lot. If I do my job, the camo does it's job.

Now, in my "ideal" world...I would mix/match MO Brush with NatGear/Kings Desert or Cabela's Open Country. But that's just my preferences.

I just use Natural Gear. I would still like to get a set of Prarie Ghost, and a set of Natural Gear Snow. he only thing I have that does any better and only then in certain situations is my Ghillie.

A buddy just informed me that a local shop has some Prairie Ghost camo in stock. If they've gone out of business, I better get over there.

Maybe I can help. If they have a lot of it, Ill post the findings here, for others that are looking.

Natural Gear is prety good stuff. The problem I got into was finding something warm and breathable. I have had Game Hide, Winchester Stuff, and some other odds and ends. I hunt the high (10,000-13,000) Colorado Mtns from December to Febuary. -20 or worse sometimes is the norm with wind. I was always warm in my gear but I wouls sweet like hell while hiking in the snow not to mention luggin gear and climbing trails. I tried a new aproch last year buying a good base coupled with Cabelas Revoultion fleece. I love it, it breaths and is plenty warm.

Thing is I would suggest you find a hunting garment that fits your needs, then pick the color. We (Hunters) seem to be alot like girls. If its pink and pretty we want it, until we have to wear it and then we hate it.

Either way good luck

I saw a guy on here suggest MultiCam so curiosity got me to looking. Check it out and be sure to check the "Images" link.
http://www.multicampattern.com/
Found some on sportsmansguide.com for pretty cheap so thought I'd try it out. Pants and boonie hat came Weds, pants shipped today. They are well built, but not really cold weather gear. DOesn't get too cold here most of the time anyway. Can't wait to see how it does in the field.

peace.
unloaded

We have taken numerous pics of different camo patterns side by side in different settings. One of the best to us was Mossy Oak Brush. Even in contrasting settings it was effective. It is proven and popular for a good reason. Movement will negate the best camo though. Good Luck

tripod3,

I would sure be interested in seeing those pictures if you still have them. Could you post them on here for us to see?
Which camo patterns did you compare? I am very interested. Thanks alot.

Mark

Tripod,

Thanks for the reply. I am excited to see your photos. I checked out the link you posted, but you were right; the pics weren't active anymore. Everyone on that thread seemed to be very excited about the Mossy Oak Brush camo. Thanks for the help.

Mark

Back