Unit 2 New Mexico ELK

azbiggame

Any past Unit 2 ElK hunters out there,Willing to talk about this UNIT? Will be hunting Oct.5-9 with a "Smokepole"for Mature Bulls,Thanks to ALL

Unit 2 sure can be tough on you... I would look for Desert Ram (member) he and his father both harvested bulls last year. He may be of help, good hunting spots are hard to come by so he may not.(?)

If I was hunting unit 2 I know were I would go, email me at:

chadbyers@hotmail.com

Chad

Well, we drew again this year and will be hunting the same unit as you. We hunt a real small area that typically only harbors a few elk, so I'm not gonna be real forthcoming with specific information. However, I will say that a lot of really big bulls come off the Jicarilla reservation. Head up to the Carson National Forest and see if you can work into some of the areas along the rez. There was time when we saw plenty of elk up on Chief Brown (a good map will show this) and the surrounding canyons. If it stays dry, you're gonna want to focus your attention on water sources. In my experience, the rut is pretty well over, though some bulls may still respond to calling. Both bulls my Dad and I took last year were alone. There was a large bull in the area that still had cows, but he was very secretive.

Thanks for the Replys,Chad a E-Mail is on the way.

DesertRam,hope you and your DAD have another GOOD hunt together.Hunting still beats working,successfull or not.---Bruce

I hear that! Any time in the trees is better than the time behind the desk, even when you stuck in a freak rainstorm and nearly freeze your "ahem, censored" off.

Are you hunting alone, or is the whole party going? We've got four guys, same as last year. We went 50% last year, which is the best we've ever done. Like Chad said, Unit 2 is a tough one to hunt. I hope he's not giving away my honeyholes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If you have any more questions, feel free to email me at troywiebe@outdrs.net and I'll see if I can help.

Hello Bruce,

Last Saturday we got one heck of a rain, and today (Tuesday) it has been raining all day. I imagine the forrest water holes will be filling up nicely.

The rut is starting a bit later than usuall from what I am hearing from credible hunters. My archery friends have been seeing bulls in groups not spread out alone with cows. Even calling so far all they have had has been cows coming in and a few rag horn bulls.

May be just the right timing for your muzzle loader hunt. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chad

CHAD: thanks for the update,just returned from MY Nv. Muz. deer hunt.I think you may be right,the RUT may be delayed until Cooler Early Oct. weather comes.In Nevada last week I saw many Bachelor herds of Young Bulls,amd Older Mature Bulls wandering alone.Very little Bugeling also,Oct. 5-9 in N.M.could be Good if Late Sept. rains come.I'll stay in touch as hunt gets closer.

Speaking of the rut, you'll love this: I was up at the folks this weekend (Blanco on the San Juan) trying to get an engine in my truck. My brother and I were pulling an all nighter. About 1 am I heard something, looked at my brother to make sure I wasn't hallucinating from lack of sleep, and asked "Did you hear that?" He said "Yep, what the heck was it?" You guessed it, an elk bugling! I've seen a few elk moving down along the river in pretty populated areas, but this was the first time I've heard one bugle. It was music to my ears with the hunt coming in two weeks. Now, if they'll just hold out a little longer before they get really fired up we'll be pooping in high cotton come the 5th.

Man, I gotta get out and shoot that muzzleloader.

Back