Looking for a 223 load that won't explode a Bobcat

Dultimatpredator

I have some 60g Vmaxs loaded up around 3100 fps. My average call shot has been around 10-35 yards so far. I tried 70g BT's out of my 243 so far. One I didn't hit bone or out at an 8' away shot with a bullet size hole in and out. The other, was a chest shot that looked like a grenade hit it. Are there any other loads I can try? I want something that is universal enough that will be able to DRT a Yote up to a 150 yards as well. Anybody ever shot a Coon with the 60 grainers yet?

Why would you not want to explode a cat?

I shot a big ol'feral Tom last winter, with my 25-06 Rem,
launching 85 gr. NBTs, and that gave exploding cats new
meaning /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

From what I have seen with 60 gr. VMax bullets out of my
AR-15(223 Rem), it will explode cats, too. Especially
if you hit bone.

Probably the best choice, since FMJ are illegal to hunt
with in WI, is something in a straight hunting bullet like
a Sierra GameKing, or even a Barnes TSX. They won't violently
expand, like the VMax.

Squeeze

Hrmmm, I had no idea the v-max expanded so violently. I shot a cat last year with my 22-250 at about 100 yds. Bullet was a 55gr Combined tech Ballistic tip. Nice clean kill

try a lighter v-max. I shoot a 40g v-max over 26.5g H335. The lighter bullet will expand a bit quicker and should (hopefully) fully expand before it reaches the other side of the cat so you don't get an exit. The only time I've had a bad "explosion" on a bobkitty is with a bad shot like hitting a shoulder.....then it's about as explosive as it gets.

Quote:
Why would you not want to explode a cat?

I shot a big ol'feral Tom last winter, with my 25-06 Rem,
launching 85 gr. NBTs, and that gave exploding cats new
meaning /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

From what I have seen with 60 gr. VMax bullets out of my
AR-15(223 Rem), it will explode cats, too. Especially
if you hit bone.

Probably the best choice, since FMJ are illegal to hunt
with in WI, is something in a straight hunting bullet like
a Sierra GameKing, or even a Barnes TSX. They won't violently
expand, like the VMax.

Squeeze

Not the same critter but I shot a huge woodchuck this weekend with the 62g .224 triple shock and it devasted half its body, the back half. It still used its front legs to pull himself back to his hole. It took him awhile but he made it.

I have the opposite experience with using 60g vmax, I havent had them tear up anything yet but it does drop them.

Last edited:
For bobcats Ive used the 40 and the 35grn VMax from my .223s. Both seem to work pretty well. The nod goes to the 40grn loads though, the 35s dont have much range to them before they start dropping like a rock.

The 40s didnt usually leave much of a exit wound as long as they were out there a little ways.

Sorry, I meant bobcat. A ferral cat WILL explode with this load. I tried it on a rabbit the other day. I shot it right under the chin, needless to say it lost its head.

Dultimatpredator-

Definitely give the 40g v-max load a shot (pun intended) It has worked great for me and as others have confirmed, works excellent on cats. And yes, it'll explode feral cats if you shoot it wrong. I took a head shot on a feral cat in TX last year, and when I got to it, it looked like a basketball with a tail, LOL.

Also, you'd be surprised how well it actually does on fox too, so long as you don't hit him low and rip his belly off.

Blue Dot for a 223?? I love it in my 3 in Mag shotgun shells and in my 40 S&W didnt know it could be used in 223. Let me know more

Quote:
Blue Dot for a 223?? I love it in my 3 in Mag shotgun shells and in my 40 S&W didnt know it could be used in 223. Let me know more

It is mainly used when looking for a quiet load. In a rifle barrel it is through burning before the bullet exits which keeps the muzzle blast down.

Jack

These Blue Dot loads are so good for fox and bobcats in a 223 bolt you can't believe it.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/ubb...rue#Post5175625

Like Jack said, 'bout as quiet as a 22 Mag, little bit more pop, and they have proven quite accurate out of 2 bolt 223's I own. No fur damage.

Plus they are just plain fun to shoot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Down side............ too light for reliable kills on coyotes (may work out West), shorter range, and I'm not sure they will work the action of the ever popular AR's.
Don't think so.

Here is a nice 32 pounder I killed a few years ago with the Blue Dot loads. This was the first time I tried them, and found very little pelt damage. When I call my brushy overgrown bobcat areas, its 223 with Blue Dot or a 22 mag.

im000666.jpg

22 Mag

DSC00247.jpg

Last yr I shot a bobcat and a coyote 6 minutes apart from the same stand. I was using a 55gr V-Max at 3450 fps from my 22/68. Bobcat at 50 yds and the yote at 102. Both had very little damage at all. You might want to try a 55gr SP.

I,ve used winchester 55gr soft points with good results.
Shots under 80 yds can change things if hit in bad spots.
I,ve used both a 1 in 9 and a 1 in 10" twist 20" tube at around the same 3100 fps. Some times you can find this load in white box 50 Qty at a ok price.
good hunting,
C.D.

Bama,
Go over to 24hourcampfire.com and look up a guy by the name of 'seafire'. He has done extensive testing with BlueDot through .223 and will give you his data if you message him and tell him where you're from. He offered me some great data that I plan on using.

Quote:

Never shot a bobcat with them, but I used 40 gr. v-maxes in the Black hills ammo and had good results on coyotes, and shot one red squirrel at a lasered 114 yards. .223 sized entrance hole and no exit.

I am curious about the blue dot loads too. So they wouldn't work out of an AR????

Bake

Back