Converting a 700 Remington from 30-06 to a 308 Win

Bigdog2

I found an older 700 Remington and I'm considering changing the barrel from a 30-06 to a 25 Souper (25/308).

The one issue I'm not sure of is whether the shorter cartridge will feed smoothly from the magazine into the chamber with this action? Anyone have any experience with this '06 to 308 conversion of a 700?

Why don't you convert it to 25/06? I don't have any experience with doing what you're talking about, but I don't believe it will work with that long a bolt throw and the magazine well will be considerably too long for the cartridge.

25-06 +3. The action is too long and even with a mag block in place feeding would more than likely be less than 100%.
As far as Marine and Army sniper rifles.

In 1996 the USMC started on the design for the replacement of the M40A1, the result was the M40A3. It uses a remington 700 short action, with a steel floorplate assembly and trigger guard built by D.D. Ross. The Unertl rings and bases have been replaced with D.D. Ross base and G&G Machine rings. The rifles also come with a harris bipod and an accessory rail, also built by G&G Machine. The stock is a new McMillan A4, with adjustable cheek and length of pull.
As the M40A1's rotate in for service and repair, they are replaced by M40A3's. All M40A3s are built by USMC armorers at Quantico Virginia. The M40A3 is an outstanding replacement for the aging M40A1's. The rifles are extremely accurate, very rugged, and are designed from the ground up to be a superb sniper rifle. Combined with the new M118LR ammo, it makes a system that is ranked with the best in the world.

The M40A1 has always been a S/A....I have 3 of the original issue stocks, turned in by the USMC to McMillan for the A3 upgrade, setting in front of me. One rebuilt into a new rifle, 1 more setting here waiting on a barrel, the 3rd is still in the works.

original poster, why not trade what you have for a S/A .473 bf and be done with it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

It is common practice to chamber a long action for a short action cartridge within reason. This will allow you to load long bullets in the case without impeding powder capacity.

Case in point, 6.5x284 rifles. If using a short action, you hinder the performance in a short action. When loading the 140 range of VLD bullets in a long action rifle you can seat the bullets longer than the short action Mag well will handle.

If you plan to shoot short bullets, the long action would be of no benefit or hinderance.

If I was set on a wildcat .25 and already had a long action, I'd barrel it to .257 AI. Does what a .25-06 does with a little less powder and improved case design. And, you can still shoot factory .257 bobs if need be.

Thanks guys,
Normally I'd be right with your recommendations because for 25 years I've owned a '98 Mauser in 25-06 and I've always liked it.

But what I also should have said was that I was looking for something with a bit less recoil for my son, who has a bad shoulder. And I'm familiar with 25 Soupers because years ago I was able to shoot one owned by my father-in-law. Unfortunately, it was stolen.

My 25-06 was a 257 Roberts before I had it rechambered in my youth. In those days I thought open range hunting for mulies required high velocity, high capacity, overbored cartridges. The 25-06 has always done exactly what I needed, even though I came to find out that mule deer aren't nervous deer like white or black tailed deer. If your not careful, they'll lay there and let you walk right past them, and then get up and walk the other way. Most mulies I've seen harvested were shot within 100 yds.

All this is a long way to explain the "why" behind my question. So I have a 3 to 2 vote that this conversion may not feed right. Guess I'll have to think this one over again.

Maybe I should keep it for me and have it rebarreled to a 35 Whelen. Great for Elk.

Thanks

Back