New Rifle barrel for .300 RUM ???????

weekend_warrior

I have a factory Remington 700 .300 RUM with laminated stock, 26 inch stainless steel barrel. The only work that has been done is to have the stock sanded down so the barrel is definitely free floating (about a 1/4 inch space), glass bedded the action, and the trigger has been lightened to about 3 lbs. And a Leupold 3.5-14 Long Range Tactical with target knobs and 30 mm tube, is sitting on top of it in Leupold rings

If money was no object. . . which of course it is, I would like to turn this rifle into more of a mountain rifle. I would like a new custom barrel, with a muzzle brake on it to help reduce felt recoil. What company or maker would you recommend?

I would also like a top of the line synthetic stock to reduce weight, but of course, I want no sacrifice in accuracy, I would like to improve accuracy. Any ideas as far as a manufacturer???

Third, I'm pretty happy with the trigger, but again, if money were no object. . . would you recommend a different trigger??? Which one? Would prefer to stay with a single stage.

Ideally, I would also like to put on a Swarovski PH 30 mm 3-12 with TDS. I'm sick of messing with the AO on my Leupold, and in hunting situations where a quick shot is needed, it messes with my head. And I'm a huge believer that glass goes a long way towards rifle accuracy

I'm dreaming of sheep. THere is no sheep hunt in my future, but I would like to start acquiring some of the above in anticipation of any future sheep hunt.

THanks

bake

Here is my rifle as it is

427319.JPG

and here is the last group I shot with it at 100
431109.JPG

If going for a lightweight mountain rifle was the goal, I'd sell the RUM and go with the 6.5X284 along with a number of cartridges that generate less recoil. For me personally, I just can't imagine putting a brake on a rifle that is intended for climbing mountains.

Here is what I would use if putting together a sheep rifle:

Rem 700 SS action (Your pick in caliber, but I'd opt for mild recoil)
McMillan EDGE stock
#2 or #3 Lilja or Krieger barrel 22-24" long
Stock Rem trigger tuned to 2.5-3 lbs

I had a KDF installed on mine...same rifle. It feels like a 243 now but the blast will ruin your hearing without protection. Then I replaced the stock with a H-S Precision. The stock made it heavier. It also sports a silver Leupold target 4.5x14 30mm tube and a Timney trigger.

Lightweight hunting rifle specs?

I like your thinking, Lonny!

Remington Model 7 chambered in 7-08
McMillan Mountain rifle stock (Edge)
#3 contour 10 twist 5C Broughton tube @ 22"
tuned Remmy trigger
Talley LW 2 pc ring/bases
Leupold VXIII 2.5-8x36

I'll post a pic when I get it....being built right now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Keep the RUM as is. Sounds like it's set up pretty good, but a lightwieght stick it is not. I wouldn't want to pull the trigger on a 6lb 300RUM!

For all the $$ you'll spend on parts/smith work to convert your RUM, you can probably pick this sweet baby up: XCR Model 7
I'm a BIG fan of the Model 7.

Now you have an excuse to buy another rifle...

Knock'emdown, That will be one sweet setup when your're finished! Ditto on the Tally's... Perfect for a lightweight package.

I'm thinkin' I like your thinkin'! Definetly post a pic. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Custom barrels are generally pretty good, regardless of which brand you choose. Personally, I've had great luck with Krieger and Lilja.

Mike

I am having a Christensen Arms carbon barrel with a brake put on my .340WBY after the season is over. I wear WGE power muffs so Im not worried about the increased noise.

Quote:
I am having a Christensen Arms carbon barrel with a brake put on my .340WBY after the season is over. I wear WGE power muffs so Im not worried about the increased noise.

Whats the approx cost of this?

I just saw an alhman (?) compensater, might look into one of those. Bought a used custom 7mm STW a few years ago and it had one of those compensaters on it and it worked really well. Sadly, that gun was stolen.

BAke

I'm going cheap on my lightweight, for me, hunting rifle.

700 "sucks" short action
take-off 7-08 Rem, 24", SS, fluted barrel
700 take-off Titanium stock from a SAUM.

Hoping this will make me happy.

Planning to top it with a 2.5x8 Leupold Matte, in Talley Lite's

Thinking very hard about buying my own barrel vise and action wrench for the swap also, can't be bad to have your own, if you have the knowledge, I do.

Clayman

I would definitely stick with 300RUM.

Barrel would be from Broughton or Lilja fluted

Muzzle brake like a defensive edge

Stock company would be Manners (Carbon fiber)

Trigger would be a Jewell

Scope would be a Leupold Mark 4 your choice in power.

Shoot me a PM and I may be able to help you out.

Yeah, I'm going to keep the .300, I kind of get sentimentally attached to stuff, and I've taken several critters with this rifle since I got it in '03.

I'd like at least a muzzle brake on it, and I liked McMillan's stocks

I'll figure it out sometime. Thanks for all the replies

I have a bansner custom 700 with a 26" #5 fluted lilja w/brake, high tech specialties stock in jade/black, 6.5x20 loopy in loopy mounts chambered in 7mm STW, weighs 8.5# loaded recoil is less than a rem model 7 6mm.
RR

Back