22-250 loads for 52 grain Berger?

RisingSun

Do any of you have any load information with this bullet? Hopefully with Varget powder? I bought some and have not been able to find any info.

I shoot the 50 berger match bullets with a slightly over max charge of RL 15 not the most accurate combo but its fast and runs 3/4 moa for me which is good enough

My 22-250 shoots Benchmark best, with Varget a very close second. Your rifle will tell you what it likes best. So, you'll have to test all of the usual suspects to see what works best in your rifle.

Martyn

I was given the following information from berger. I asked about the 52 gr.
There data was generated using Quick Load and a 26 inch barrel.

Varget. Starting Load. 31.0 gr. 3297 FPS
Max Load 35.4 gr. 3723 FPS.

I have not tried Varget, that is just the informaion I was given from Berger

I tried Varget and got some amazing groups with it but I wasn't getting the velocities I was looking for. The 52 gr Berger Match bullets are primarily for bench rest shooting. If you want something for coyotes try the Berger 52 gr Match Varmint.

Is there a particular reason you went with Berger? I liked the Sierra 52 gr HPBT best for my other 22-250's but the guns I have right now won't shoot them well. Moving at velocities above 3750 fps the Sierras were an excellent predator load.

Anyway......Here are a couple of Varget loads that shot very well in both my Remington 700VLS and my Kimber 84M.

52 gr Berger Varmint, CCI Benchrest primer, 35.5 gr Varget

52 gr Berger Varmint, CCI Benchrest primer, 36.7 gr Varget

CAUTION!! These loads should be carefully worked up to. http://www.hodgdon.com/

actually the beger match bullets are likely a better choice for yotes over the match varmints, only difference in the bullets is the varmint version has a bigger HP in the nose, I for one would like a bullet to stay together a little better and not explode with massive grapefuit size exits, so I went with the standard match

I haven't experienced that. When I selected the Varmints I was afraid they were more of a prarie dog bullet but I've found them to kill coyotes stone dead without leaving big holes.

I am just trying the Berger bullets. I bought a Kimber Pro Varmint and I can not find anything that the gun likes. I have tried numerous bullets and the only thing that it shoots very well is the 40 grain Blitz King. I have tried numerous weights, powders and bullet types. I have not been able to find anything that it really likes. I am just trying to find a load. I should have stuck with Sako.

When I first got my Kimber I thought what I'd heard was hype. Groups were at MOA but I expected better. But once the barrel got broken in it started shooting some very nice groups. It took like 150 rounds and some tinkering with loads. Don't get discouraged. I think you'll be surprised. I see guys out at the gun club shooting groups out of custom bench guns that don't shoot as well as my 84M. I only wish Kimber made a 222 in the 84M Classic.

Back