kansas fur harvester license

Kscountryboy

I live in western kansas and I need to take the furhavester test so I can get a furharvester license so I can start pileing up some fur bought I don't know where to take it and I don't any game wardens numbers cause they and I don't get along so any kansans help me?

Country Boy,
When you call the Pratt Office, ask for Monica--she is the Assistant Hunter Ed Coordinator and has set up the Furharvester Ed program. She will steer you in the right direction!

Best Regards,
Tim

By your post, I'm assuming you were born after July '66?
I didn't have to take the course, since I'm older than that. {although I probably should take it anyway}

I was thinking the same thing. He may be getting off on the wrong foot, already. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Hey, I emailed KDWP about this about a month ago. They sent me a furharvester booklet and a self test (50 questions). You complete it, send it back and they sent you the results and your certificate pretty quickly. She said they don't do as many classes anymore since they have the work at home course. Pretty easy to do although I missed one on the test, darn it.

Eastern kansas here..

You don't need a furharvesters to hunt coyote - only to trap them

http://www.kdwp.state.ks.us/news/hunting/hunting_regulations/furbearers/coyotes_hunting_trapping

Coyotes Hunting & Trapping

Season Dates (statewide): All year

Possession Limit: No limit.

No closed season for trapping or hunting coyotes. Motor vehicles and radios in vehicles may be used to hunt coyotes only. Furharvester license required to trap; hunting license required to hunt.

Noow bobcats you need your license.

T

You do need the furhavester lic. if you sell your coyote pelts though.

edit: After reading the rules and regs. now I'm not sure. It says a furharvester to trap and a hunting lic. to hunt them, and the same license to sell their pelts. I dont sell my pelts so I'm not sure what that means. A call to Pratt would probaly be a good idea to find out for sure.

Last edited:
Quote:

edit: After reading the rules and regs. now I'm not sure. It says a furharvester to trap and a hunting lic. to hunt them, and the same license to sell their pelts. I dont sell my pelts so I'm not sure what that means. A call to Pratt would probaly be a good idea to find out for sure.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif If you are ONLY hunting/selling COYOTES, then you do not need anything other than a basic hunting license.
But if you trap, or are wanting to hunt/sell any other furbearers, then yes you would need the furharvesters license. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif
Trust me on this, I've been hunting coyotes for years here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
I only had to buy a F-H license this past winter, because I wanted to hunt bobcats as well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I do agree with the other guys though...game wardens are our friends, unless we plan on doing something illegal. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

well I don't do anything illegal but my other family members have had a few run ins with the game wardens over poaching doves,squirrels,and a deer or two! the only illegal thing I have ever done is ride my four wheeler on the road or poaching or trapping the neighbors cats or dogs for crapping in my yard!

So let me get this straight. I am planning on hunting coyotes as well as bobcats/foxes but I DO NOT plan on selling the pelts. Do I need to send an email to the wardens and see about taking that test or whatever? Or can I just go buy the license?

Quote:
Quote:

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif If you are ONLY hunting/selling COYOTES, then you do not need anything other than a basic hunting license.
But if you trap, or are wanting to hunt/sell any other furbearers, then yes you would need the furharvesters license. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif
Trust me on this, I've been hunting coyotes for years here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
I only had to buy a F-H license this past winter, because I wanted to hunt bobcats as well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I do agree with the other guys though...game wardens are our friends, unless we plan on doing something illegal. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

If I remember reading this, KDWP does not consider coyotes to be a furbearer. I read the regs again and agree with those above, you need the furharvester license to hunt or trap furbearers other than coyotes.

LICENSES & FEES

A furharvester license is required to hunt, trap, or pursue (run) furbearers, or to sell their pelts unless exempt by Kansas law. A furharvester license is required to trap coyotes, and a hunting license is required to hunt them. The same license required to take coyotes is required to sell their pelts. Unlicensed, non-participating observers may accompany a licensed furharvester but may not assist in carrying or using equipment, controlling dogs, or otherwise assisting with furharvesting activities.

Persons under 16 years old may purchase a junior furharvester license at a discounted price.

Furharvester: All Resident Furharvester Licenses can be purchased online or at any licensed agent.

* Resident Furharvester: $20.15
* Resident Junior Furharvester: $12.15
* Nonresident Furharvester: $252.15

Fur Dealer Permits and Lifetime may only be purchased at the Pratt Operations Office .

Resident Fur Dealer : $102.15

Nonresident Fur Dealer: $402.15

Lifetime Furharvester (Resident only ): $442.15

Gundy,
I will almost guarantee you that if you go to buy the license, they will ask to see your Furharvester number if you are of the age that you need the class. If you try to buy it on-line, it is the same way.

Best thing to do is call and ask for Monica at the Pratt office, and she can lead you through the process, she is the coordinator of the FH education. You can ask a Conservation Officer, too.

Best Regards,
Tim

PS: If you PM me, I can get you Monica's email address.

Last edited:
Back