pup distress call

d2admin

Administrator
Hi Guy's
I'm new to the board and to coyote calling,I have a JS512 and i was wondering if you use a pup distress call when you set up do you use it first? I have been doing a lone howl when a woodpecker distress.When would i use the pup distress call in there? I'm calling in N.Y..
Thanks in advance for help!

Contender,
We don't want to change the distress sound very often because we don't want to show the predator our whole deck of cards. If your woodpecker sound stops working for you, then try the pup squals next time out, or maybe on your next stand a mile or so down the road. I hope this helps you

Excellent advice Rich! That would be my last resort tape and I would use other tapes first of the prey species that are naturally available in your area. Wiley E

I agree with Rich and Wiley. The distress call is a really good "ace in the hole" and you don't want to use it until you really need it.

I have to agree. When nothing is working I chime in with a pup distress. In my area, this works best from August to mid-deer season. Large aggressive males respond consistently.

I use the pup distress in a few different ways. Like Greenside said, after the shot can be effective. During certain times of year I use it in a calling sequence and it consistently brings in large, dominant, males. The stands starts with your regular series of distress cries. After 10 or 12 minutes if nothing shows, pause for a couple minutes, then give 5 or 6 Ki-Yis or "yipes". Wait another 15 seconds or more and give one more yipe.

In my mind this sequence simulates what it "might" sound like if a prey animal has been killed. Then the 5 or 6 Ki-Yis hopefully give the impression of a inferior coyote being ran off the kill. Then the final yipe hopefully sounds like that inferior dog giving one more try at getting a bite of rabbit. All I know is that in my area, when the time of year gets here that they are responding well to that sequence, it sucks the big males in like a vacuum.

Later, Curt

I got a foxpro this year and it has pup cries that are just a 8 or 10 series of high pith barks almost or cries. I got three yesterday including the first double i have ever been a part of and called in three other everyone we called in was with challenge howls and pup cries going every five minutes the just loved it the double we got looked like it was the alpha male and female. They both came in scratching and pissing all over.
hope this helps
nd coyote killer

hey i know how you feel . i've called with a baby cottontail in disterss call for 5-6 minute intervails stopping ten minutes or so in between . after about 20 minutes or so if i dont see anything i switch to a half grown snowshoe hair in distress or a jack rabbit distress . it works quite well .
good luck to you .

------------------

Back