Starter calls

AlderTK

I bought a cheap set of quaker boy calls and am not quite satisfyed with them enough to use them

i am looking for some yote calls to start with that are easy to aquire and common place and good enough to work the ones i have i can't seam to match any calls i am trying to imitate it was a three pack with one thats suppsoedly be a pup a female and an alpha male i have a distress call thats not so bad

any suggestions tips

I would definetely look at the custom makers here and select an open reed call. They are usually not much more than a store bought call and are much more useful and the maker can give you tips on using their call, just my two cents!

Based off of your description about pup/female/alpha male, It sounds like you are looking for good production howler. There are a few good ones out there...but then there is also alot of junk. I've taken many commercial howlers out of their packaging at the stores and tried them. I wouldn't give 10 cents for alot of them.

What features and pitches are you looking for in a howler? That'll help us steer you in a better direction, as each howler is different....including commercial and custom.

Tony

i'm looking for maybe 2 howelers a good pup call and a good female call

i am also looking for a few distress calls

in the pup call i am looking for somethign the has good ranage and depth i'll see if ican find a microphone that will work and show you what the one i have sounds liek it's vary mono tone and really similar to the howler i have when youremove the plastic horn

female calls i would like something that can produce general through out the year calls and a mating call

i want something subordinate andsomething vary much like an alpha call for doing chalange calls

the problem with these is they are cheap got the hole set for 20 bucks so i am not supprised about quality the sound board is the same the only differance is the reed on the pup call is rounded

for refurance these are the calls i purchased

.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_94762_400006009_400000000_400006000_400-6-9

I can see what you mean. The toneboard is very short, thus not much variety can be accomplished on it. In addition, three different exhausts or bells on the same toneboard doesn't always work. One would achieve different tones, but there is a fine line to matching a toneboard to it's horn to get the backpressure correct. It's not as simple as just stuffing a toneboard in and selling a product. There may be exhaust modifications made to the toneboards for each individual type of howler that they are selling. But probably not.

I would look for a good howler than can do it all. Deep barks and howls on the deep end, female/juvenile pitches in the middle, and hair raising high pitches on the tip. One howler....many uses. No need to carry a neck full of calls, when not needed.

Here are a couple sound files from a $17 producton howler:

Howler Sound file 1
Howler Sound fiile 2

I believe there a few custom call builders on PM that could help you out in that arena. As far as production howlers, CritrCall and Dan Thompson are two at the top end.

Tony

hmmm i'll keep this in mind next time i look at calls

do you know any call makers north side of the boarder?

just prefur not to ship stuff as our custems officers have a habbit of destroying any thing to do with fire arms

I'd check with Redfrog, here on PM. He's from Canada and is a great local contact for you. Just send him a PM.

Also, many of the custom call builders on PM have sent calls to Canada, Mexico, Sweden, Africa, Australia, etc... They are experienced with the customs paperwork, GST, etc...

Tony

i've heard horror stories such as custems removing 75% of the packaging material and not replacining it trashing a Brand new uper recaiver from the manurfacurer for a rob arm XCR rifle and the box nearly being destroyed on arrival

thought they are less likly to open a call they are no less likly to show it a lack of respect the damned pricks majority of custems people seam to take pride in the destruction they do to fire arms and showing they're dislike for hunters

i am heasitant because of the lack of respect they show for people's property though my parents have friends near the niagra boarder from when we used to camp down there it's still something i am hesitant about

this is before i even worry about the rediculus fee fedex likes to charge to punish us for having something shipped across the boarder

i'm done my rant now sorry

Last edited:
i looked at Al preditor calls and saw afew that looked intresting one being the call made from a .223 Brass

Dan Thompson - Puppy Squaler PS-6 and the Dan Thompson - Pup Squaller Combo.

also looking appealing is Dan Thompson - Red Desert Howler CH-1

still looking around at that site thanks for your advice i've seen your demos and might if i order from the US consider getting oen of your calls

Back