Danner Sharptail Covey Boots

Yellowhammer

Staff member
Has anyone used these?

http://www.danner.com/product/hunting+boots/uninsulated/sharptail+covey+gtx+10%27%27.do

I like a pull on boot, and have been wearing the Rocky Wellington cordura boots for several years. The problem I have had with the Rockies is that I can't seem to get a pair that won't leak after a few trips out hunting. I do a lot of walking and they just seem to start leaking before I know it. There are few things I hate worse than wet feet, so I am looking for something better.

Pull on boots that are comfortable for all day wear are few and far between. If not these, I am open for suggestions.

Sorry, I didn't use these particular Danners, but I can tell you that I have never used a better boot. When I was in the Corps as a machinegunner humping every mountain in California I tried several different boots. I used the issued, Hi-tecs, Carolinas and Danners. They were the only boots that still had a sole left and didn't destroy my dogs. By the time I was done using them I was already out of the Marines and they still have a place in my heart as I can't seem to throw them away. I can guarantee that I put several thousand miles on those Vibram soles and they only gave me blisters on the tops of my toes once. Every other boot killed my feet and they gave me blisters the size of the palm of my hand before and bled bad. I would recommend Danners to anyone willing to spend the money to save their feet. Joel

I have the Pronghorns and have yet to have wet feet in them (even when I was hunting with you and Byron in Big Sandy with all that rain) and are the most comfortable boot I have ever worn.
http://www.danner.com/product/hunting+bo...gram+men%27s.do

I also have the Acadia for hunting down here when it's hot. These have vent holes and are not waterproof, nor are they as comfortable as my proghorns, butthey are coming around slowly.
http://www.danner.com/product/military+boots/hot+weather/desert+acadia+hot+tan+men%27s-women%27s.do

I bought a pair of Danners for a elk hunt several years ago. They where supposed to be water proof. It rained for six straight days that year. Fifteen min. into the hunt I had water logged feet. It was misserable up in the mountains with wet and blistered feet. On the way home I stopped at Cabelas to return them. When I put them on the counter at custumer service, the guy working thier said " You want to return those because they arent water proof right?" Never again will I buy anything from Danner.

I have found over the years that the only thing water proof is rubber. Period. Try some Lacross Burly's. Id bet my feet that they will keep you dry.

My second choice would be Meindle boots. They aren't slip ons but, mine haven't leaked and they are darn comfy for all day hunts.

Sorry for being so long winded. But I belong to the cold and misserable foot club. So I've tried just about everything.

Dan

P.S. doent even get me started on Rockeys!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif

The U.S. made Danners are very good boots. However, like many other companies Danner has "diversified to meet the market" and now has boots contracted from Asian sources. These compete quite well with other imports, yet they are not the quality of the U.S. Danners. I've been wearing Danners for quite awhile with no problems. With that said my next pair of boots will be Meindles. This is a general boot observation because I have no experience with the slip on boots as you asked about originally. The Sharptails look good... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Honestly, I'm not sure of the name of them as this was in 94 when I picked them up for $165 bucks, but they were solid black leather about 10-11 inches tall. I've heard the trust issue with Danner since they have gone to cheaper production elsewhere so I don't know how well they are made today. Joel

I have so many pairs of Danners that I can't count them off hand, including one pair of sharptails. My sharptails have a leather rib sewn on top of the toe and Vibram Gumlite soles which are a little softer with a self cleaning type tread. These are a lighter duty boot to me, as in not one to be banged around in the rocks all day. I have never had wet feet unless the water I'm wading spills over the top. Even the import models have performed as advertised. My neighbor wades through the mud and water everyday irrigating orchards in his import Danners. He has never had wet feet and replaces the boots every three years. One thing I found important in trying Danners is to find the "Last" number that a particular boot which fit me was built on. Then in the future I have been able to look on their website and check if a boot I'm interested in was built on a Last that suits me. Once you understand the "Last" purpose and try it your boots will fit better. Danners are the Leupold of boots to me. Good Luck

I forgot to answer your last question. The imported models generally say so after the description and on the tag inside. The Portland,Oregon USA made state it in the description and have the Made in USA flag sewn on the outside of the boot. My wife just brought home a new Cabela's catalog and I noticed the new Sharptails have the Terra Force soles which are pretty tough and walk out well with decent stability. All of my Terra Force boots are Made in China. I checked Danner website and the Made in USA boots have a blue star near the Gore Tex insignia and it seems the USA boot price point has risen.

Last edited:
Sean, I have a pair of Danner Jackals. Undoubtedly the MOST comfortable lightweight non-insulated boot I have ever had on my feet. They fit well, and are Gore-Tex. The soles and insoles are super soft, and easy on your feet. If you are wanting a lightweight walking boot, and don't need insulation, these are your best bet IMHO. They ain't pull-ons, but they're extremely comfy and supportive.

Look here: http://www.outdoor-headquarters.com/mm5/...Code=dannerhunt

Back