Units 4, 441, 214, and 14 in Colorado

hawkcarterCO

I am going to be hunting elk and deer in Units 4, 441, 214, and 14 in Colorado this year. This is going to be my first time hunting in these units. Has anybody ever hunted them before. I will be hunting second season. My wife just got her hunters education and this will be her first year hunting. She is going to have a buck tag. Any ideas would be great. Thanks

No takers yet Jason but from the sounds of it for deer in that area it won't be too hard to fill your tag.

Quote:
I am going to be hunting elk and deer in Units 4, 441, 214, and 14 in Colorado this year. This is going to be my first time hunting in these units. Has anybody ever hunted them before. I will be hunting second season. My wife just got her hunters education and this will be her first year hunting. She is going to have a buck tag. Any ideas would be great. Thanks

I hunted unit 4 for acouple years when in at Freeman Reservoir that section is called the Elkhead Mtns. I had good luck also one year followed the Little Snake river east out of Baggs Wy and hunted along the Wy-Colorado Border
which is the north part of unit 4. You can follow a road south of Slater and that will get you into unit 441/214. Best place as I remember was Black Mtn had to pack in or walk in but worth it. One year I went in at Walden over to Unit 14 killed a nice bull had a bad storm got stuck there for afew days so changed location next year hunted middle park been hunting there very since. Elk should start bugling pretty soon, I'm heading up later this week to check out afew areas got an either sex elk tag for the first season and my wife drew a buck tag for the second season so I'll be playing guide and I got a four season Cow tag. Well good luck.

The weather plays a huge part on that hunt. The upper forest gets hit real hard opening weekend, but there is a lot of public land access and a lot of animals. The key is getting where no one else is, hard to do being new to teh area and not knowing the holes. Or the other option is finding some really good travel routes and glassing. There are some good deer inthat country, the elk are typical for colorado, a few big bulls, but most are 2 1/2-31/2 rag horns. There are many places to hunt. The best bet is to get a good set of maps. Like the BLM maps and study them. Select a couple areas then come scout them before to late. If your lucky the idiots on atvs, wont screw up the country and you'll get a good hunt in.

As far as areas. All of them are good, just a matter of how many other people are there, and how hard you want to hunt.

Goodluck and if you come up scouting give me a ring, we can look at maps over a beer or tea(if your that type).

Back