20-222

I am probably wrong and passing along incorrect info, but I heard that the .222 is the case that was used to come up with the .204. If so it has worked out great. If it is not true then it would probably be so close it wouldn't be worth the effort. IMHO. Help me out here guys. Right or wrong ???

Last edited:
Quote:
... Help me out here guys. Right or wrong ???

You're not even close /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif.

The .204 Ruger is pretty close to the .222 Mag. necked down. The .222 Mag. has quite a bit more capacity than the .222.

Lots and lots and lots of rifles have been chambered for various flavors of the .222 necked down to .204. Both improved and not. It's a good cartridge. Has more umph than the .20VT, but still not so much capacity as to be much of a barrel heater or anything.

- DAA

Ah , You are correct , I left out the mag part. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

It should be just a little slower than the 204 Ruger and just a little faster than the 20 Vartag, that's not much of a window to warrent a custom chamber considerring the action your using will work with the 204. Unless yuou have a great hoard of 222 brass. Can I ask why you are looking at this wildcat?

I'm playing with the 204 case to get the most out of a small bolt face action and have built a 25-204, my 22-204 reamer should be here next week and next spring I'll working with the 6mm-204.

AWS

Quote:
AWS why would you make a 22-204? is that not just a
.222 rem mag?

Not AWS, but the answer is "no". The .204 has a good bit more capacity than the .222 Mag. It's longer to the shoulder, has a steeper shoulder and a shorter neck. It actually has a bit more capacity than the .223AI even. Like AWS said, it's about the most you can get out of the small bolt face.

We drew up a reamer for a .22/204 shortly after the .204 came about. One of my buddies ordered the reamer, and is waiting for his barrel to be chambered for it now.

- DAA

Thanks DAA you hit it right on the head.

The only larger case is the 5.6x50RWS but the availibility of brass iffy and there are only two makers both in Europe makeing the brass $$$.

The 204 case is as big as you can get without haveing to do alot of case forming and then the gains are marginal.

With the 25-204 I was able to match factory 250-3000 Savage factory balistics which is a proven deer slayer and it has worked out exactly like I hoped it would. The 22 and 6mm versions will be be right there with the 222 Rem Mag AI and the 6x47 AI with out any fireforming, pretty much load and shoot even with new brass. With the expanders Hornady has been making for me it is just one pass through the FL sizer trim and load.

AWS

Quote:
Quote:
AWS why would you make a 22-204? is that not just a
.222 rem mag?

Not AWS, but the answer is "no". The .204 has a good bit more capacity than the .222 Mag. It's longer to the shoulder, has a steeper shoulder and a shorter neck. It actually has a bit more capacity than the .223AI even. Like AWS said, it's about the most you can get out of the small bolt face.

We drew up a reamer for a .22/204 shortly after the .204 came about. One of my buddies ordered the reamer, and is waiting for his barrel to be chambered for it now.

- DAA

The BR guys blew the 222mag case out pretty close to what they called the 204 case only different now it's a 20cal and shoulder angle, think it was called a 222x35/222x45 was some article in Precision Shooting Vol II March 1986-1987.

Back