Anyone Using 6mm For Coyotes???

d2admin

Administrator
I was reading an article in the March issue of Guns & Ammo about how the Remmington 6mm is a great predator caliber. Is anyone here using one? Are you handloading your own ammo? I have a Rem. 600 6mm that shoots great, but the only ammo in the stores is 100gr or 110gr. I love the the accuracy of this gun but need to find some downloaded ammo(55 or 65gr) Is my only option to start handloading my own?

I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of my G&A, since I shoot and reload 6mm Rem. To answer your question, yea, you better reload if you want to use the 6mm Rem to it's potential.
My favorite load is 37 1/2 grains of Varget under a 75 grain VMax. Out of a 26" barrel, at 5500' elevation, it clocks 3250 fps, and shoots sub 1/2 moa most all the time. It also knocks the wet snot out of pretty much anything it encounters.
Last week I got a 2 5/8" 5 shot group at 400 yards with it. There was a slight wind, so it'll probably do better than that.
Mike

I bought my 6MM in a Rem. 700 34 years ago and have no idea how many deer, coyotes, groundhogs, fox, crow, mice, rats or cats it has killed. I'm surprised it will still shoot a tight group for as much as it has been shot. I'm presently shooting the 65 grain V-MAX in it now. This bullet will definatly kill a coyote. They will usually blow up inside but sometimes they can real ugly on exit if hit wrong.

I use a custom built 6mm Rem to send yotes to yote heaven. I reload my own ammo, my choice is a 70 grain HPBT Match bullet with 42.1 grains of H380 powder. It's not the best bullet for fur damage but it sure will reach out and put them down on long yardage shots. In calling situations I prefer to use a .22/250 Rem. I Hope this helps you on your quest. Good luck.

Use to have a 6mm Ruger 77V, and th only good fur bullets i ever found were the 2 Sierra's-- 70 BTHP as above, and the 85 Gameking BTHP.

I shoot a 6mm Rem. Love it. I hand load 55g and 58g The 58g shoot better and with shot placement you can control the exit hole. I have shot 13 coyotes this winter and 3 have had bad exit holes.

Put me down as someone who love the 6mm rem for yotes. I also use a 22-250. I had my 6 built on a 700SA, put in a mcmillan stock. I shoot 70 nbt. It makes a mess sometimes, but I still sell fur.

I've used one for about 15 years or so. Mine likes 70-75gr bullets over 48 grains of 4350. I'm getting close to 3600fps from 70 Mosler BT's
Heck of a shooter too.

Back